1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 Problem for the experts!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Jack37, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Jack37

Jack37 Member

Posted in the newbie forum but no answers, perhaps some of you advanced users can help out! Anyway I am currently using dvd decrypter and nero recode to shrink and burn! I have made many excellent back ups, but every now and then while in either deep analysis or encoding process of recode the software just shuts off without any error messages! I have the latest edition running on a pc with a p4 1.6, win xp pro, 512mb memory! If anyone can answer or suggest possibilities to this problem I would appreciate it!

Jack

2. mrbass

mrbass Member

try CPUBurn (free) and memtest86 (free) and see if your computer passes those tests.

3. Jack37

Jack37 Member

mrbass - thanks for the info!! My machine has succesfully passed the two tests! Is there anything else that you might suggest! The help is appreciated!

Jack

4. Jack37

Jack37 Member

mr bass - forgot to mention the fact that when I used dvd xpress copy I never had this problem! Hope that bit of info could be useful!

Jack

5. happynow

happynow Guest

Hi, forget Nero recode. Just use the free DVDshrink to rip, then nero to burn. Thats it all you need.
    Nothing wrong with your specs either.

6. Jack37

Jack37 Member

Happynow - Unfortunately I have the same problem with shrink, in analysis or encoding it just shuts off! I am leaning towards a software conflict, but was hoping to not have to reformat!

7. RWG

RWG Regular member

Try DVD Shrink without using Deep Analysis and backup to your HD. If still no luck...well, back up and punt I guess.

Does your computer shut down / quit in any orher programs? Ya run your AV software lately?

8. Jack37

Jack37 Member

RWG - I have tried that a few times with recode and it seems to work out ost of the times, but does shut off now & again! Is deep analysis not neccasary for a better copy? Anyway no other software that I yse gives me this problem! Thanks!

Jack

9. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

deep anaylysis just allows you to get rid of a bit more of compresion (not much) so no its not essential at all.As for your program just turning off, thats kind of strange, what version of shrink have you got?
    I had a bit of problems when I upgraded fom .3 to .4
    managed to fix by altering a few settings (but still to scared to upgrade to .6 beta)

Try doing these things

tick box that says DVD+R high compatibility mode
    deselect low priority
    burn at 2.4x

Sorry cant be of more helpthan that butim still novice myself

10. RWG

RWG Regular member

lcarbutt is right - in my opinion - deep analysis isn't a 'need to do' step. I haven't used it since trying it out a few times with Shrink 3.0beta. I can't see any quality improvement using deep analysis.

Is it DVD Shrink or Nero that's crappin' out on you? Hope it's not a hardware issue like a too hot CPU.

RWG

11. Jack37

Jack37 Member

It is currently Nero that gives out, but Shrink also did the same when I used it! I have tried the test suggested by another member for the cpu & memory and it passed no problems! and I dont have any other issues when using other programs! Still assuming it must be a conflict somewere with software... Thanks all!

Jack

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I assume your not running anything in the backround. On the outside chance, what kind of temps you getting when this happens? Try pulling your case, maybe you are running hot.

13. Jack37

Jack37 Member

I make sure that I kill all programs before continuing with Nero! My motherboard came with a little program called SMARTGUARDIAN which gives me the temps! typically they are between 88 & 100 degrees! Dont know if that's good, but evertyhing else seems fine!

Jack

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

HEY DUDE THAT WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY TO HIGH FOR A P4

i run amd xp3000xp hotty chip they run hotter than P4 and i get 50 idle 60 on load! and this is too hot for me!!!!!!!!!

take this from an overclocker!!!!!

sort your cooling! a P4 will throttle down to a stop but not EXPLODE! amd at your temps is DEAD!!!!

get the picture!!!!!!!!!!

Thx

15. Jack37

Jack37 Member

Rotary - Should'nt I have seen some other effects if that were the case?? Just asking cause I am anything but a expert with these things! Anyway, I will assume that would mean another case fan?? or Let me know whats the best option!

Jack

16. MysticE

MysticE Active member

It's a long shot, but pull the case and set a small desktop fan (actually any fan) blowing into it. Worth a try. Ut will at least eliminate one possibilty.

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

its mainly your fan on the heat sink!!!

take it off and reapply heatsink compound! it seems as though you are not getting a good contact!!! this is the main job! case fans are second to expel air!

no you should see any extras as you have a great chip!!!!!!!

it saves itself from exstinction not like a xp amd chip just frys itself! you are a LUCKY MAN!!! believe me!

if the computer was a prebuilt shop job - then the fan maybe faulty! as it should be man enough for the job! but if some one built it it could still be what i said at the start! but the fan could aslo be for a smaller chip and only just coping? so get a faster fan!

EQUATION

FAST CHIP FAST FAN!

even go for copper bottom as it disapates heat more quickly in full use! an aluminium disapates heat fast on shut down!

so a combo aluminium fan with copper bottom is excellant with a decent fan!!

Thx...

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    http://dvdshrink.info[/small]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  18. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Correct me if im wrong, but if the fan wasnt working, even for a second or two, i believe that would virtually fry your chip. I have a P4 2.53 and i know that if the fan stopped working, as it did on my P4 1.7 the processor was fried and this crashed like never before.

19. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Hey Oriphus,

The new Intel's are pretty good at avoiding meltdowns. As was said, it will throttle itself down to a crawl in the event the fan gives out/temps go too high. Luckily most new MOBO's will shut down if the fan quits spinning/or a predetermined temp is reached. Now AMD's will fry in seconds.

I don't think the poster has temp problems as he is probably stating degrees in farenheit, which puts him well within range. But the test I suggested is easy to do.

20. Jack37

Jack37 Member

Yes, I was referring to farenhiet with the temps! Anyway, I found deeper problem earlier when I turned on my machine and couldn't get any picture (video)!
    After pulling everything apart it appears that the cpu chip was not fully set in place somehow, and after a good cleaning all apears well! Not to sound to stupid, but could this have been a problem with the nero program? seems all else worked fine! Thanks again for all the input!

Jack