1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 recoder

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Nightlite, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

For the longest time, I tried to use the New Nero 6 recoder. Tried getting it to read from the DVD itself..no..Used Decrypter movie files... no..Then finally ripped all the files with decrypter and with that it sucessfully read the files compressed it to one disk and recorded it. It played on my dvd player. Does anyone else use this method? I usually use Dvdshrink then Nero or decryter, dvd2one and then nero. I would appreciate some input to what others who are more experienced than I am to what they think about using the Nero 6 method.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I steered away from Nero back when it was version 5, as it was vermin infested......

From what I have read here at the forum, others are experiencing much the same problems I encountered with Version 5.......

And yet others are having great success with it.....

If it works, then no reason to change to a different software in my opinion.....

But I am STILL dubious of Nero....

My method:

Dvd Decrypter - to rip - movie only (File mode)
    Dvd2one - to compress - if required
    Recordnow DX - to burn

I have experienced NO issues with Recordnow DX and will not use a different burning software....

Have a look at the guides at http://www.chrismccann.co.uk regarding Dvd Shrink....even though I do not use it much, I still think it is a belting bit of kit....especially as it is free and an ideal starting point for newcomers.....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  3. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi you two. :)

Nightlite, for other DVD Shrink guides (including how to make compilations, split to two discs, compress different parts of the same title at different levels), and for Nero guides, you can also check:
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

baabaa, out of curiosity, have you tried v3.0 beta 5?
    If you have a quick look at the guides (in Flash format), you'll see how much it has evolved and how powerful it has become (leaving DVD2One well behind IMHO). ;)

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

ddlooping...

Yep I have had a look at it and there are a lot of improvements etc....

However I only backup the movie, and Dvd2one is by far the easiest 3 clicks and its done.....

Dvd Shrink is an excellent program, and in some respects yes outclasses Dvd2one as there are more capabilities with Dvd Shrink especially cos you can do everything directly from the disc, saving you HD space....

The only thing missing from Dvd Shrink is an implemented burning engine......this would make it second to none.......and it wouldn't surprise me if it is in the pipeline......

I always recommend Dvd Shrink (even though I am not a major user), as you can learn abit about the actual structure of dvd's whilst ripping/stripping etc......

I am fairly conversant with the structuring (but by no means an expert), then the it is no longer an issue for me as the process is very straight forward....and Dvd2one does this great.....

I do from time to time do the odd episode dvd, and I then Dvd Shrink, rather than stripping each episode off and re-authoring via TMPGenc dvd author........as it quicker to do, again with episode dvd's I just keep the episodes and nothimg else......

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

@ baabaa

Nero 6 is perfectly okay to burn with , hit DVD-Video & load files into VIDEO_TS folder & burn...job done

: )

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

So I have heard, however I just got a Pioneer 106 and gave my dad my old Pioneer 103 and Nero 6 is totally messing his PC up.

He can write with it no problems and it produces a dvd, however nothing on his PC will read the disc (just keep on spinning) even just in windows explorer - not one program would read the disc....

I removed it and put on Recordnowmax, and every things running again......

Don't know what it was down to, but must assume it was Nero 6 as when removed it all came back up - could be coincidental though.....

I have done some reading, in that Nero uses it's own ASPI layers, and windows XP apparently is not a big fan of the ASPI layers (maybe wrong)......

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yep , you are wrong : )

I only have Nero ASPI & have absolutely no problems (ever) !!

I'd check the config of PC mate

8. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

I have windows xp and use Nero and have no problem at all... I was not a fan of Nero in the beginning and prefered Recordnow. I ususally use DvdShrink or Dvddecrypter, dvd2one and then nero, but my original question that I wanted feed back from was Are people using Nero's recoder and how they felt the quality was. I am not as technical as the rest of you, just have a normal Tv to view them. It seems ok to me. Had a heck of a time trying to get it to work, till I read somewhere the whole disk needed to be ripped, not just the movie, but after that it recognizes it recodes it, shrinks it and burns it in one...

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Herbs, I had a funny feeling you were gonna say that..........LOL

I saw it somewhere, that 98,ME used the ASPI within windows, and that XP used the ATAPI config and under no circumstances should you invoke the aspi32.dll (or something like that) - also checked in my IDE properties and it was ATAPI.....

Now I remember that when I used ME previously, then it was ALL ASPI.........

I do know that Nero uses it's own ASPI layers, and my theory that Nero was not really releasing the IDE bus after closing seemed to work....after uninstalling it......

I have checked the IDE and everything looks kosher, but it has got me a little puzzled, something to ponder on anyway....but not this weekend, cos we all know whats happening.....herbsman son...LOL...see you in the safety.....

Nightlite

The quality will depend on the amount of compression you need in Dvd Shrink or Dvd2one....

If you are doing the complete disc then your quality will be lower than if you did just the movie....

Who told you that you HAD to rip the complete disc? - morons.....

I only backup the movie....

Dvd Decrypter - File mode - select main movie only.
    This just rips the IFO and relevant VOBS fro the dvd.
    Put them through Dvd2one - set my file size at 4440Mb and point it at my VIDEO_TS folder.
    Wait 15 mins, then burn my VIDEO_TS folder using Recnow.....done - just movie on dvd....._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[/small]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2003
  10. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

I read it somewhere.... when I tried the recoder in Nero reading the disk...it couldn't tried with just stripping the movie... it couldn't
    Then after reading it on some forum.. thought here, ripped all files and it read it and compressed and wrote it to a dvd. What I did not like is that is saved it again to the hard drive in a hidden file... I am using Windows Xp and I noticed my drive was fuller than usual. Found it in another temp folder in the settings, but I believe that probably was an option I can click off.

11. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Nightlite , there was a huge bug in the early release of Recode.
    Depending where you created the folder where the temp files were saved, you were running the risk to have your whole drive erased.
    So please make sure you are using the latest version, or at least download the available patch if this applies to you. ;)