1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 transcoding fail

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MrRod, Aug 12, 2004.

1. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

I'm using nero vision express 2 se to burn an avi file to dvd but when i click on burn i get the message 'unable to prepare data for recording: prepare session failed. Transcoding of videos failed'.
    i've loaded the file to be burned and within express it plays the file for test just before burning but then i get that message when i try to burn it. does anyone knoe what the problem could be?, i do remember burning the same file before and i've tried other files but with the same outcome.

any help would be great

Rod

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

In my experience NeroVision can be a persnickety little devil to work with which is why I dropped it like a hot bag of poo. Maybe I gave up on it too soon but I've found I like to use TMPGEnc to do all my conversions as it's very stable and performs wonderfully :)

Maybe another member will happen along with some advice about NVE that's actually useful........................

3. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

cheers for the reply, do you use TMPGEnc to convert and burn to dvd? or just to convert the file?.

4. Raiden88

Raiden88 Guest

Alright, I have all 20 chapters of the Star Wars Clone Wars mini series that was Cartoon Network. I have them encoded in DivX AVI so they're about 30-40mb a piece. Well i'm trying to get them all burned to one TDK 4.7gb DVD+R Disc. When it's transcoding the video's it gets to about the 4th video and crashes. Anyone got any idea of what could be the problem?

5. Nephilim

Hi, MrRod,

After I use TMPGEnc to do the conversion I use TMPGEnc DVD Author to put them in the correct VOB, IFO, BUP files, make a little menu and burn the resulting VIDEO_TS folder with Nero6 :)

6. Nephilim

7. Nephilim

Raiden88,

What software are you using?

8. Raiden88

Raiden88 Guest

For the burning Nero Vision Express 2. My friend gave me the video files.

9. Nephilim

Like I said before I lost patience with NVE so my troubleshooting skills for that app are essentially none.

My above suggestions should help you out if you wish to go that route.

10. Raiden88

Raiden88 Guest

eh..i'm not too fond of TMPGEnc. It doesn't like to encode a lot of the AVI files I have, and it makes me sad inside. BTW System Specs:

Sony Vaio RZSeries
    1gb DDR-RAM
    2x 200gb HDD
    2.8ghz P4 Hyper Thread
    Sony 4xDVD+/-RW
    Sony 52x24x52x CD-RW
    nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128mb Video Card
    2x S-Video AV Capture ports
    1x 4pin Firewire
    1x 6pin Firewire
    8x USB 2.0
    WinXPHome

11. Nephilim

Aye, not a fan of TMPGEnc then are we?

I'll give it a go but I can't make any promises :)

Have you run your AVIs through something like GSpot to ensure you have the right codecs and that they're installed correctly?

Any specific error messages NVE is giving you?

12. Raiden88

Raiden88 Guest

it's not giving me any errors, it's just Transcoding the video then closes out like it wasn't even running. I have no unnessacessary programs running either, and i disabled norton. I'll go through and download that program and run the files through it, specifically the one it crashes on.

13. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

i'm having problem with TMPEnc and IFOedit, i ran my avi file through TMPEnc and it converted to mpeg-2 as avi codec told me, but when i want to use IFO it doesn't see the file!!...any ideas as to why?

14. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

i think i know what i did wrong, i didn't check the box to convert the video and audio seperetly.

15. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Raiden88,

Are you using any Transitions, video effects, or text effects on the Video?

Are you creating chapters?

If you are, try doing with out any of that just as a test. And write to the hard drive as VOB files so you need not waste any media for this test process.

I've seen on a few occasions where a very large file added to NVE and one too many transitions or effects has caused symptoms like this, and never in the same location in most cases. Though that's not a rule as a few times it was the exact same location each time and removing just the one transition resolve it for a customer.

Do you watch your Memory and CPU usage to see what it's doing when this stoppage occurs with NVE?

And do you have our latest NVE2.1.2.18? If not upgrade first before you do any tests.

Also, if you have InCD 4 installed, try uninstalling it and see if there is a differences. In most cases it's not an issue, but there have been a few cases where its had a strange affect on a system.

Any other recording programs on the system? Normally Nero and EMC7 play nice with each other, but lately I've been seeing signs that they are starting to conflict with each other again. :-(

Regards,

Craig

16. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

i've just used TMPGEnc and IFOedit to convert a small avi file and now nero rom is burning to disc as i type :) horah, now i want to burn a 717Mb avi file, but when i 'load' it into TMPGEnc i can only get the file size down to 122% of the disc capacity!. I can convert the file only if the format is set to NTSC(low resolution). when going through the wizard and select 'other' the stream type is mpeg-1 video and not mpeg-2 video. So, can IFO still convert this file to vob or do they have to be mpeg-2 video?

17. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

something else i noticed, the avi file i want to burn is 157 mins long in avi state, in TMPGEnc it states the movie info is: 352x480 29.97 fps / 48000 Hz Stereo 297 min 20 sec if i wish to convert to MPEG-2 video.Why has the movie lenght changed so much?

18. Raiden88

Raiden88 Guest

The videos are just straight capture's from Cartoon Network that my friend made into DivX, so there's no transitions or anything.

When it closes out nothing odd is happening, it's just transcoding then nothing. I have 2.1.2.16 so i'll go through and upgrade and see what happens.

I am currently re-encoding all the files to Mpeg to see if that makes a difference at all.