1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 won't let me choose writing speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gouzo, Nov 7, 2004.

1. gouzo

gouzo Member

Hello everyone,

I have searched the forums for this but didn't find the answer :

I have an LG USB 2.0 DVD writer that is supposed to write [bold]DVD-R at 8X[/bold] and DVD+R at 12X.
    The media I am using are Traxdata DVD-R 8X but when one of them is inserted, I cannot select the writing speed.
    screenshot : http://img91.exs.cx/img91/6853/8Xdisc.jpg
    and when no disc is inserted i can only select up to 2.4X
    screenshot : http://img91.exs.cx/img91/9461/nodisc.jpg

Shouldn't I be able to select the drive's maximum speed even with a lower speed media ?

And most importantly [bold]why can't I select 8X speed ?[/bold]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  2. billmex

billmex Guest

no, your writing speed is what is read off the disc, you can go slower but not faster.

3. gouzo

gouzo Member

Thanks, that makes sense after all.

But why can't I go slower than 4X ? and why does Nero read my disc as a 4X when it's a 8X ?

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear gouzo,
    Since you have Nero, you may insert a disc and use the 'Get System Info' function to check the read and write speed choices that you may have using Nero. Each software program is written differently. So you may have more or fewer choices if you use different programs.

5. gouzo

gouzo Member

I have tested the media on a different system and they work fine at 8X and even at 12X with a Pioneer DVD writer.

But on my LG 5120D exteral writer the only writing speed nero lets me select is 4X :(

If there is a solution i would be very thankful for it !

6. wowzers

wowzers Member

gouzo.....I am having the same issues as you as well. I am using 4x ritek media and it will not burn other than at 4x. As soon as I put the disk in the write speed window blacks out and will not give me a choice. Do you have nero updates installed? Something tells me there is a conflict with the updates. Let me know

7. gouzo

gouzo Member

hi wowzers, I am using the lastest version of nero : 6.6.0.3 but my media is not 4X like yours but 8X which is even more anoying because my DVD writer is supposed to burn DVD-R's at 8X...

8. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Do you have the latest firmware for your model recorders? Nero allows the Recorder to determine what write speeds are supported based on the media it detects in the recorder.

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

9. wowzers

wowzers Member

yes I have the latest firmware updates for my recorder. I hear a lot of talk about update #3 for nero. Would that cause a problem with the burning speed?

10. gouzo

gouzo Member

Hi Craig,

I tried updating my LG recorder to the latest official firmware (A104) but nero still only lets me select 4X.

Isn't there a way to bypass the speed detection ?
    I think this is more of an issue with the recorder/firmware than with nero but the drive is sold as a 12X(+R)/8X(-R) DVD writer and the media I am using (-R) has been tested at 12X. So I don't understand where the problem is :/

11. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Wowzers,

InCD and other packet writing programs have been known to cause performance issues, write errors, and other issues, but I've never seen it cause a lower write speed, or to force a write speed on another program.

Hi Gouzu,

IF you do not have any media in the recorder at the time, will it allow you to select a higher write speed, but as soon as you insert the media and it begins a write, it drops down to a slower write speed? If this is the case, then you can use our 'Dynamic Write Too' to override the Recorders recommendations and force it to write at a higher write speed. But the end result may not be readable or playable on any device. It may not even be readable on the Recorder that created it. But you can give it a try.

Regards,

Craig

12. gouzo

gouzo Member

Hi Craig,

Unfortunately when no disc is inserted the only choises are 1X, 2X and 2.4X.

I might try a different recording software to see if it really is a problem with my recorder. But I like Nero and don't want to buy another one just to try it :/

Does anybody know of a "lightweight" DVD recording freeware/shareware ?

13. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

A few other developers provide Trial versions of their software.

NTI does at www.ntius.com and I believe Cyberlink or Sonic may. It's been a while since I checked.

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

14. gouzo

gouzo Member

Thanks Craig, I have just tried the sofware from NTI and it also only lets me choose 4X :( So I guess LG lied about their recorder ...

I haven't tried DVD+R yet but I hope they don't have the same issue !