1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 DVD Menu..keeps going to the beginning

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Rostaf86, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Rostaf86

Rostaf86 Member

Hi folks..please can someone help! I have Nero 7..trying to burn a DVD. I made a menu with 10 chapters, they animate fine and so forth but when you play them in the test window it just jumps right back to the beginning each time no matter which button I press.
    No animation selected.
    Also if I choose the play first chapter then jump to title at end of each chapter in create menuy page, the movie just plays all the way through.
    ANy ideas anyone??!!
    Many thanks
    freddie

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Freddie,
    Try this. Go to your Edit Menu window. This should show your menu with each chapter button displayed. Click on the first chapter button. You should see "corners" around it. This indicates that it is selected and you can edit it.

On the right, click "Automatization".
    At the bottom of the Automatization pop-up, find where it says "Action". This is where you tell each button what you want it to do.

Do this with each button one after the next, setting the "Action" to play the correct chapter.
    Note that at the bottom of the menu display area are the control buttons to move forward if you have more than one page of menu buttons.
    Bear in mind that a title is a chapter.

Your choices are:
    Start Playback with:
    Menu
    Chapter 1
    Chapter 2
    Chapter 3
    and so on...

The Start playback with: menu lets you choose to start playback at the beginning of a selected title(chapter) or the menu.
    I'm not exactly sure what you want your movie to do, but it seems to me you would want it to start with the menu.

Then as it plays, you would want it to play the titles in sequence...
    When finished playing a title:
    Play next title
    Jump to menu
    Loop title

The "When finished playing a title:" tells the movie what to do when it gets to the end of each chapter. The choices pretty much explain themselves. If, for example you have "Play next title" selected then the movie will play each title in order. This is probably what you have selected... Which is what I would use in most cases.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  3. Rostaf86

Rostaf86 Member

Hi FasfRank
    Thanks very much for that. I'll give it a go..computer busy at the mo..can I pick your brains a wee bit more!! I'm digitizing the film in 4::3 from Widescreen now onto tape then need to redigitize.
    I need to hand it to someone as an avi file..am I right in thinking thats what the MiniDv format is anyway on tape?
    DVd is mpeg I think!
    Forgive me for being a bit thick

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Quite alright,
    I was still editing my first response so you may see a few changes. I hope I've been clear. I still see a few things I could have written better so bear with me whilst I edit.

You can use Nero to do the 4:3 to 16:9 conversions.
    Just click "More" > Video Options > DVD-Video tab. Change the aspect ratio to what you want. Make it the default setting to avoid it changing back on you during editing....You can always change it back later.

MiniDV is .avi and DVD is mpeg
    Cheers!

5. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

I did not read the entire description, but there are more navigation options under the MORE button on the Select Menu Page. This may have been where fasfrank was getting his information, but he did not say.

6. Rostaf86

Rostaf86 Member

Bugger!
    Unfortunately when I come to edit menu page, the only options under automaization are either "none" or Play "intro to cut" (thats the name of the piece by the way)
    Could it be because the menu is too large? with 10 chapters
    On other ones it works fine
    Can't understand this at all.
    ANy ideas folks??!!!
    Thank you so much for all your advice so far

7. Rostaf86

Rostaf86 Member

I'm wondering if the way i put it together has had anything to do with it?

I digitized 3 sections and put them together in the timeline to make one film.

???????

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Let me correct myself.

First, make your "Start playback with" and "When finished playing a title" selections...

[​IMG]

This tells the DVD player what to do when you first put the disc in the player and....

[​IMG]

...it also tells the DVD player what to do after a title is played:

[​IMG]

In this case it will play the titles in order, one after the other. You have other choices, like jumping back to the menu, but bear in mind that with Nero the choices made here apply to all the titles. More advanced authoring tools will give you more choices that can be applied to individual titles.

Now that "First Play" is set lets look at Automatization.

Automatization selects what you want to have happen if a button is highlighted but not selected.
    Your choices are to jump to a selected title or do nothing. Your choices here are "global". If the "None" option is selected, then all the buttons will use that option. If a Play option is selected. then any highlighted, but not selected button will jump to the specified title after the time delay specified in the Delay menu.

Example:

You have made a DVD with three clips...

[​IMG]

and from the "start playback with" feature you selected "Menu".

[​IMG]

So when you put the DVD in the player it goes directly to the menu.

Like every menu, the first button is highlighted when the menu screen opens on your TV. What happens next depends on your "Automatization" selection made while editing the menu. If you selected "None" then nothing will happen. The menu will display until you click "Enter" on your remote control.

In this case, however the Automatization was set to jump to a selected title and start playing...

[​IMG]

In this case clip_1 will begin to play on it's own after 30 seconds.

Once clip_1 has finished, clip_2 will begin to play because of the setting made in "When finished playing title" menu...."Play next title" was selected so that is what it does.

This is just an overview. I don't know why you can't select other titles. I'll look some more though.

9. Rostaf86

Rostaf86 Member

Frank, You are fantastic. Thank you.
    There's something going on with nero. as per my original message, when I tested the menu on the Nero tesst page eevry time it jumped to the beginning no matter which of the 10 chapters I chose. So I rebuilt it several times and using the extra techniques you mentioned. With the same result.
    However I got so puzzled with it, as nero has worked fine before that i thought I'd burn one of the buggers anyway and see what happened. And the navigation menu was perfect. worked a treat. But it doesn't on the computer nero test page. Strange.
    But the one thing that does not work is the play the first chapter on opening then revert to menu, despite my having set it in the drop downs you have very kindly sent to me.
    I don't have much hair left anymore. Torn most of it out.
    Gnash gnash
    Nero only sometimes appears to do whatit says on the tin. Or am I seriously goofing up somewhere unwittingly?
    !!!!