1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero 7 essentials etc [newbie questions]

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by tafkas, Sep 7, 2007.

1. tafkas

tafkas Member

A few months ago I was given a friend's PC with a new DVD writer plus it had "Nero Burning Rom v7.something" on it.

I am totally new to the DVD world but learned a lot thanks to forums like this one & quickly learned how to backup video DVDs using primarily DVDdecrypter + DVDshrink for reading/preparing, & using Nero BurningRom7 for the burn step.

Recently however I added another disk drive and completely repartioned/reformated/reinstalled the opsys (win xp) and all the programs that I needed except I did not have Nero Burning Rom to reinstall.

After doing some more research I decided I would just download and use IMGBURN for the burn step. And I just used that for the first time tonight (I think it worked aok but there are some things I am confused on and I need to read more about it).

But here is my question - I remembered that I have a CDROM that came with the PC's DVDdrive called "Nero 7 Essentials", which from what I understand is NOT what was installed on it before ("Nero Burning Rom"). Despite doing some reading about "Essentials", I don't understand exactly what it is. I see it has things called "Nero Express essentials", "SHowtime 3", "Vision 4", "recode 2", InCD5", "Photoshow express4", etc but what is all that stuff? What does what??

One of the reasons I decided to not pursue getting a new copy of Nero Burning Rom is because what I had on the PC b4 seemed to have a lot of "bloatware" associated with it that I didn't need or want ("Nero scout" for instance) and I am guessing that most of the stuff with Nero 7 essentials will fit into that category (things I don't need and will never use, but I have no idea really).

Can anyone explain to me exactly what is in Nero Essentials 7 or direct me to a good site that explains it all?

I don't think I need anything more from "Essentials" other than a tool to write DVD video, DVDROM, and CDROM (not CD audio as I use EAC for that) but am curious as to what all the stuff is that comes with "essentials". I think I have DVD video + DVDROM burning covered with IMGburn but am pretty sure it cannot write CDROM data (??).

Any advice appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

3. tafkas

tafkas Member

thx for the info and that link! i am still very confused on what all the things are in "essentials" but for now i am just going to avoid the whole thing and stick with IMGBURN as you suggested

someday i'd like to get into things like video editing & reauthoring more but when i do i'll research them more thoroughly and figure out what are the right tools for the job

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Nero is a suite of programs that attempts to do everything. Like most things that try to be comprehensive, it does lots of things OK, but not as many in an excellent manner.