1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 Finalize Disc

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by shankly, Mar 15, 2012.

1. shankly

shankly Member

Hello,I’ve been working with Nero 7 a while now,and as sometimes it says successfully burn OK then when i play it it gives me bad disc,sometimes when i put the DVD media in the PC drive Nero will stuck and wont open,even sometimes it will not be read by my DVD writer.

Now the problem is that when i choose DVD video to burn a DVD and click the burn icon,i see that i have the finalize disc marked and that i cant remove it,this i noticed it at a glance,does this play a part in when i cant erase the burned media or have bad disc in my dvd players?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Unless it's a re-writable disk, you cannot erase and re-use once finalized.
    Finalization is normal and required for playback.
    If you used a DVD-R for example and the burn was bad, it's over for that disk.

Verbatim DataLife or TY disks, burned at moderate speed, give consistently good burns.

3. hello_hello

hello_hello Member

What's the make/model of your burner?
    It sounds like you're using cheap discs, but the burner itself may just be producing poor quality burns. I've tried all sorts of discs and checked the quality of the burns, and as a result I either use Verbatim discs or Verbatim discs (the good ones which use the AZO dye, not the cheap Life series). "AZO" is printed on the label. TY is just as good, but they're way more expensive where I am and harder to find.
    If you have problems with decent discs, it's time for a new burner.

No. Under "multisession" you probably have the "no multisession" option selected which means the disc must be finalised. That's a good thing as many players won't play discs which aren't finalised. It should have no effect on your ability to erase a re-writable disc. Personally I never use re-writable discs anyway, as normal discs are so cheap.

Because your drive even has problems recognizing the discs at times, either the discs are junk or you need a new burner. It's possible to check the quality of a burn, but you need to use a burner which supports quality checking. Failing that, selecting the "verify" option when burning will at least get Nero to check the disc is readable after it's finished burning.

You can try different burning speeds to see if it helps, but I really think you're well into new burner/better discs territory. Slower burning is more likely to produce better quality burns, but it can also reduce the quality. It depends on the burner and the discs being used. For example (I can check the burn quality properly) there's a few different burners in this house, mostly Pioneer and a couple of Samsung. Using Verbatim discs (and it varies from burn to burn so this is just an "average"), the older Pioneer burners seem to produce the best quality burns at 12x, the more recent models at 16x and the newest model at 20x. The Samsung burners produce too many coasters using Verbatim DVD+R, but at 16x they're nearly as good as the Pioneer burners with Verbatim DVD-R. Of course as soon as I use a different brand of disc, that all changes.....

4. shankly

shankly Member

thanks for all your help,but i use rewritable disc because i cant keep all my data,movies in store at home,i use non rewritable too,and most of them will be ok,

so as hello_hello told me that even that finalize its selected is ok for the data being visible,but i assumed that as it is selected it is making me this mess,

when i burn i ALWAYS use the less speed the burner will show

now im using VERBATIM DVD -RW 4X SPEED.

ive been using nero but never noticed this finalize was marked and erased many rw media

My burner is -Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7591S -FW 1.84 -ATAPI

and where i can find these AZO?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. attar

attar Senior member