1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 installation problems w/ Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Sgt_USMC, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

The website has a new update for Vista owners and the install will get all the way to the end and error out because of a Shell Manager, any solutions with this?

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

I installed it without the error--are you installing as administrator (right click)?

3. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

It's just me (administrator) on my laptop. I keep uninstalling it and putting it back on and keep getting errors for Shell Manager. I've notified NERO Tech Support but still waiting.

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

This may not be the reason, but being administrator in Vista is not the same as being administrator in XP.

You might also try, although I did not need it, to run it in WinXP compatibility mode.

5. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

Well that's Interesting, I guess I'll have to figure out the Administrator part of it. I didn't know that applications can be ran in XP mode. But you know I shouldn't have problems installing it period. Its something to do with Shell Manager missing or something like that. I cant even Uninstall the program without getting a Shell Manager error. I went into the folder and just deleated all the NERO folders, funny thing is, it wont delete the Shell manager file unless you reboot then you can delete that file. After that I'll Install the disc then install the 190 updated file on top of that from the NERO site and again same thing, installs all the way to the end and errors out. I get so frustrated that I'm almost at the point to just take Vista off and go back to XP. I dont have problems with any other programs. Also, thanks for some of the input on this Saltgrass.

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

If you are deleting folders individually, make sure you look for Ahead folders. Watch out for the search function, it may not be finding everything you think it is. You may need to change some search settings.

I have no idea what the shell manager error is, I have not seen that. What file are you referring to when you say "Shell Manager File"?

Nero even installs a gadget for the sidebar (NeroDiscCopy)

And you are using version 7.7.5.1 or 7.5.9.0 since they are the only two that have worked with Vista. Don't install using ProductSetup, use the clean tool for Nero 7 and reinstall. I don't remember if I tried the Clean Tool on Vista, but I believe I did. Get used to running all install/uninstall operations by right clicking and using Run as Administrator.

7. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

I saw what you were talking about, right-clicking on the file to Run as Administrator, still doesn't help, it was still giving errors that Shell Managers are missing.

So after Installing it again for the 6-7 time it half way works now. Meaning I can run each program by executing them from their individual folders. Smartstart wont work so for example I can go into the Recode folder and run that program going that route. Still a paid in the ass and would hope Nero would come out with another update for Vista. Still waiting on Nero's Tech Support to email regarding this. You cant call them unless you want to be charged my the minute.

8. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

Also, were do I get CleanTools. It doesn't come with Nero 7 and I didn't see it on there website. Do you think that will help?

9. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

10. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

Here is an interesting thread I found:

megabyte2
    18. January 2006 @ 02:42 Link to this message Report an offensive post
    I had a problem with Nero 7 with registration problems. Seems I registered the program and it took but only for Nero burn. The other functions such as the lame ripper didnt take. I registered the lame program and it said that the serial number is already being used. Quick call to Nero got me nothing took over 3 weeks to talk to a live person and I had to go through the press department to get tech support as its a pay service. Nero offers NO FREE TECH SUPPORT email is useless, customer service will only direct you to the pay service. Moral of the story was for me to uninstall everything with a program in Neros download directory called CLEAN this will unregister the .ini files and startup files registry everything then reinstall. This fixed the registration problem. I got this from the senior engineer at Nero the guy who wrote the lame encoder (after alot of deamon dials and generally pissing all of the Nero staff off). Use the Nero clean program then reinstall also dont use the original disk you purchased, download the trial version of Nero 7 off the website. Its the full blown ultra version with date timer with your serial number it will be 100% usable forever.

11. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

12. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

13. smotto

smotto Member

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem installing Nero 7.7.5.1. I had purchased the Nero 7 Ultra Edition on my old computer a few months ago but now I have a new comp with Vista. Can't install old registered version as it isn't compatible so I downloaded the new Nero Enhanced trial version and now it won't install. Tried running it in Xp compatibility mode and as administrator to no avail. Cleanup tool for nero 7 won't install either and I'm not sure if that would apply as I don't have any other versions already installed. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to make the install for 7.7.5.1 work for me? I'm leary to purchase the Cd in store as I've read other threads where lots have encountered problems...

Please help!

14. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

The newest version of Nero 7 should install fine in Vista using the Run as Administrator option, and maybe even if not.

If you tried to install an earlier version, do a search for any Nero or Ahead folders and delete them. The Search engine in Vista is pretty much worthless unless you make corrections to the default search parameters. There should be some files in a \Temp folder that contains the expanded files from the Nero install.

I tried running the Nero Clean tool on Vista the other day and it did get some stuff, but I still had to check for folders. It did seem to do a good job in the registry.

15. smotto

smotto Member

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

I was able to manually delete the registry keys, however, when I try to uninstall or manually delete the program folder it keeps telling me that I am not authorized to do so. I tried doing it as "administrator" and still didn't work. When I try to download the clean tool from the link you provided above, it doesn't allow me to highlight anything or remove anything...only provides the exit option.

When I try to install the downloaded 7.7.5.1, it unpacks the cab files, proceeds to the Product Setup Screen (says Preparing Installation), opens the Nero 7 screen that says Wait While Windows Configures Nero 7 and then the window just closes. No error messages or prompts or anything...I'm really stumped. I also have Roxio that came with my comp...should I be getting rid of that in case it is interferring?

16. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

Thanks Saltgrass, it works now. Nero must have found the problem and fixed it on the lastest update. CleanTool never worked for me, it would stay on "Please Wait" and I would get that message from Vista that it crashed. Anyways it's working now. Thanks Nero for only taking me 2 weeks to install your software. If Nero wasn't such a bad ass program I would of given up alot earlier.

17. smotto

smotto Member

I was also unable to get the Clean Tool to work but, after a long while of fiddling last night, I was able to delete the partial files that had been downloaded.

In case this helps anyone else, I first had to go to Search(thanks Saltgrass!) and do an Advanced Search for Nero and Ahead files (check entire comp and check box for hidden/system file search). I manually deleted from that list as many as it would allow. Then I had to change the security permissions and make myself "owner" of the remaining Nero folder in Program Files. I dragged the Nero file to the desktop, created a new folder, and added Nero to the new folder. I then opened the new folder and was able to delete the remaining files individually.

Now I'm going to try downloading the 7.7.5.1 trial from the Nero site again and do a clean install...hopefully this will be successful :) Thanks for the help Saltgrass and wish me luck...

18. smotto

smotto Member

Ok Saltgrass I'm back...

Clean install worked fine, but I went to burn a dvd (used DVDFAB Decrypter first) via DVD Shrink 3.2 and it gives me a burn error. Tried to burn directly from shrunk file on C: in Nero Recode and it opens, the green bar goes to the end and then it just times out. Result is a coaster. Do you need a copy of the log file and, if so, how much of it do you need?

Thanks so much and if I'm in the wrong section for this type of issue, please suggest another thread and I'll switch over:)

Oh, I used to have Roxio on my comp but I deleted all of its contents after clean Nero install...don't know if this is applicable.

19. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Since this is a new problem, I would suggest you start a new thread.

20. dvdcon

dvdcon Member

Most burning software have problems with Vista. Since Vista comes with copying protection mechanism. This is well documented issue.

If you want to copy, backup & rip movies & music, you guys have to revert back to WinXP OS.

Nero issue will have to wait until Ahead update their software to work with Vista. Since Vista don't allow users to copy & rip movies & musics, we all stuck.

There was talk within MS to stop all users to copying music & movie files. MS will launch their own copying software with full copy right protection soon. Another Bill Gates's strategy to force users to use their software and copy to MS DVD disc & burner.

Don't use Vista