1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 Ultra Edition--AVI burn Help

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by bhavin, Jun 2, 2007.

1. bhavin

bhavin Regular member

I am using Nero to try to burn some AVIs onto a DVD. I go to NeroStartSmart->Photo and Video->Convert DVD Movies to Nero Digital. I know how to get the AVI on the disk and play it and watch it; however, the problem is that on my computer, the AVI is only 700 MB, but when I move it onto Nero using the command bolded (which leads me to Nero Digital Titles), it goes up to like 3000 MB. Is there anyway I can keep this at 700 MB?

Also can you update your firmware automatically or do you have to find which one you need?

Thanks.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

When you convert an avi file to another format like Nero Digital which is mpeg4 the size expands.
    The only way to keep it a 700mb would be to burn it straight like as a data disc. But the player would need to support playing DivX.

To update the firmware check the drive manufacturers site to see if there is a newer one. Some drives like Samsung have an app like 'live update' but most don't so you'll need to check.

3. bhavin

bhavin Regular member

Does a PS2 play it? Also can you convert it to something smaller? So there is almost no possible way to keep it 700 MB since my DVD player will probably not be able to read it?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  4. binkie7

I don't think a ps2 can play divx but could be wrong. I've never tried on mine I just convert them.
    To play it on a player you'll need to convert it to a format that it supports. So know why that I know of unless you reduce the bitrate way down but that would affect the quality. Really wouldn't advise that.

Check here and see what formats the player supports - just type in the make and model - link.

5. bhavin

bhavin Regular member

Dang, mine doesnt support it.

When you convert yours you just use 1 disc for a movie?

And are VCDs any good?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  6. binkie7

Yeah neither do any of my dvd players. But they are pretty keep and alot now support divx like models of the Philips.

Yep just burn to 1 dvd. If it's a 2 cd avi I merge them in Vision or Virtual Dub to make 1 dvd - seamless playback.

I do vcds occasionally if I have a file small enuf. The 700 mb go over by say 200 mb.

7. bhavin

bhavin Regular member

8. binkie7

Yep it looks like the one my friend has.
    Here's one comment on it a videohelp - link
    Odd though that it doesn't list supporting dual layer media.

9. bhavin

bhavin Regular member

Does DivX also allow the playing of BIN files?

10. binkie7

You got on that one - don't really know.
    I only do them on occasion & when I do I extract them thru isobuster then convert.

11. bhavin

bhavin Regular member

How do I use Nero to burn a data disc? I cant get it to move on to the Next step, it isnt clickable. I was at the Nero Digital conversion area.

I found create a Data DVD but when I clicked on it there was an error. I clicked Debug but it didnt work. Do I have to update it? If so, will it cost?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  12. binkie7

Use Express or burning rom. Pick Data CD or Data DVD - depending on the size. 700mb you can use a cd - over that use a dvd.
    Then just add the file(s).

What was the error that you got?

Updates are free - which version of Nero 7 are you running? Are you running Nero Essentials (came w/ a dvd drive or pc) or did you buy Nero?

13. bhavin

bhavin Regular member

I burned a movie (after converting into mpeg-4) onto a DVD-R and played it on my DVD player and it said DVD_ERRLOG5. Did I make a mistake in the burn, or is it the DVD? I am using Verbatim.

14. binkie7

Does the player supports mpeg4? If not than that might be the reason for the error.
    Check the link above and see ig mpeg4 is listed.

If not then take that mpeg4 and convert it to a dvd compliant file w/ Vision. (does it automatically) Or take the original file and use in Vision.

15. bhavin

bhavin Regular member

I converted it to Nero Digital, which you said was mpeg4. I tried it once with a Windows Movie file, and when I converted it to Nero Digital and played it on my player, it worked.

I tried it on 2 different DVD players, the Philips one I showed you, which didnt work even though I believe it is listed.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  16. binkie7

Yes mpeg4 is the format Nero Digital is in. It opens Recode (from how you picked it above)

Since you've burned this way before - my bad looks like the one player does support mpeg 4.

Playback in the pc?

Take the source file and use Vison this time to do a dvd compliant dvd.
    Have the burn speed set to have of the rated speed of the media.
    This will take a little longer than recode.

17. bhavin

bhavin Regular member

I dont have Nero Vision. This Recode thing is taking forever as it is. What is playback? Anyways, I am trying it again with a different movie, if it doesnt work again I dont know what to do.

When I began to burn I used maximum speed, with the other options being 1x and 2x, I think, not 100%.

As for the Data DVD. Tomorrow I will try burning one of those and see if the Philips I got will play it. Do I have to do anything special or can I just use Nero Express to create the Data DVD and it will play it automatically?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

18. binkie7

Oh for playback I just mean take the disc that doesn't play in the players and try playing it on the pc. That can help narrow down where the problem is.

The other thing I can think of if this is a download - it may be in a different tv format then the one you're in - like NTSC (US, Canada) or PAL (Europe etc). Recode doesn't change the format like Vision would. So that might be another reason for the error.
    If thats the case then you could convert it using DivXtoDVD (free).
    Set the standard to which one your in (NTSC or PAL). Save to your hard drive then you can burn w/ Express.

You don't have to do anything special. I just pick Data DVD add the files and burn. Set the burn speed to 1/2 of the rated burn speed of the media.
    Is your drives firmware up to date?

Burn at half the rated speed of the media - depending on the drive and the rated speed of the media 1x or 2x would be to slow.

edit: fix link for divx

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  19. bhavin

bhavin Regular member

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8296/untitledml7.jpg

Those are my speed options all the time. Sometimes there is just Maximum written. Is my burner too slow?

For the Data DVD, it said burn process failed at 2x. However when I did the playback I can play the AVI files on my computer. I then played it on my DVD player and it works! Or atleast I only skimmed through each movie. Explanation?

Also my firmware is 4.20 and it leads me to this site:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces=PIONEER+DVR-104

oneer DVR-A04/DVR-104 - 1.20, 1.30, 1.31, 1.32, 1.33, 1.40, 1.41 / 1.30/1.30, 1.40 (Sony) / 4.20 (Sony) Only for drives with 4.xx firmware / 1.30, 1.40

Since I have 4.20, I should upgrade to 1.40 correct?

I still cant figure out the recode one. Thanks a bundle!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  20. binkie7

Yeah the burner is too slow and too old. 2x is the max for this drive and it only supports -R media.

I think it's time to invest in a new one - they are so much cheaper now. Plus I thing this one is going to start to fail more. Then finding media that's compatible for it is hard.

A good new drive costs just as much as that Phillips dvd player you picked up. Check newegg for good deals on Liteon's or Pioneers.

The disc probably failed toward the end. I've had that happen and they still played - go figure :)

Looks like you have an oem drive so 4.20 is the firmware for this drive and the latest.

I think part of the problem w/ those discs that aren't playing may be due to the drive itself.

Oh and you're welcome!