1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 Won't Complete DVD Burn - HELP

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by dogpound1, Feb 7, 2007.

1. dogpound1

dogpound1 Member

Hi, I've just recently encountered a problem using the Nero 7 Ultra Edition. Actually, it happened before, and through countless hours of installing / uninstalling it started working for some reason. Now I have the stupid problem again.

The problem I have is that while using it to copy a MPG or AVI file onto a DVD +-R disk, it fails during the burn process. First Nero has to encode it in order to make it a DVD playable disk, which takes a while, then it burns it onto the disk. During that process it fails, with no reason. It just pops open the drive and the program hangs there. The only way for me to close the program is to go into “Task Manager” and kill the process. Of course the DVD +-R disk is rendered useless because it only burns a few tracks before it spits it out, once again creating a coaster. I can’t tell you how many disks I’ve gone through trying to figure this out.

This is what I have done. When I first encounter this issue, I decided to start clean and reformatted my hard drive a couple of months ago. I still had the problem, and as I mentioned earlier, through countless hours of installing / uninstalling it started working for some reason. I used it continually for about a month creating DVD’s using MPG and AVI files no problem. Then about a week ago, it stopped working. I’ve tried using different media such as Maxwell DVD +R and TDK –R and nothing works anymore. I usually created disks that were about 4.6G. Thinking it may have to do with the size, I just tried a 2G file, and it still failed. I used VideoRedo to do a Quickstream Fix on it, and it still failed. I’ve uninstalled / reinstalled all the drivers to no avail. I can burn a 3K file fine to a disk, but when it gets to the gigabyte range it fails to complete. I’ve used Xilisoft MPEG to DVD Converter and it fails there as well. I’ve checked and rechecked the cables and everything is secure.

I don’t have the time to do another format of the drive. It just seams to be a continual issue. ANY help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I decided to do this forum, because I am at a loss, and I can’t find a solution anywhere on the internet.

Thanks Again!

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

just a shot in the dark here...... you reformatted your hard drive..... did you make it NTSF and not FAT? because you said:
    NTSF will handle larger files better..... maybe your hard drive was reformatted to FAT!

3. dogpound1

dogpound1 Member

IHoe,

Yes I used NFTS. After I reformatted the hard drive, it took a while of uninstalling / reinstalling drivers and programs, before it started working. Just about a week ago, it stopped copying MPG and AVI’s to my DVD’s.

I am using 16x DVD’s currently. When it was working I was using 4x DVD’s from CompUSA, which are crap DVD’s, but they worked. I can’t find any 4x DVD’s that it why I am using 16x DVD’s. Even so, I turned down the burning to 4x, but the burn still fails.

Thanks!

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

what is your make and model # of your burner..... it could be that the 16x media is not compatible for your burner! how old is your burner? look up your burner's capabilities here:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php
    just insert your model # in the search area! read the comments about your burner and also see what disks work best for your burner. good luck.

5. dogpound1

dogpound1 Member

I actually have two DVD burners installed. One is a Memorex 16X DVD+-RAM 510L v1 MWS7 (1394)Dual+-Format External Dual Layer DVD Recorder and I have a SONY DVD RW DRU-810A 1.0e (ATA)8X Dual Layer.

I can see why it wouldn't record on the Sony, but it should work on the Memorex. Also if I decrease the burn rate down to 4X, they both should work, but they don't.

6. dogpound1

dogpound1 Member

Ok it seems to be working for some reason now. This is what I did, I verified the my IDE connections said DMA, and I uninstalled the drivers for all my CD/DVD burners. After I got it up and working I noticed that I have a rouge DVD player. It says DVD under my computer. Looking at Nero InfoTool it says
    Unknown Adapter
    - ID 0 (0): YS4154T LIT425O 2.0B
    - Autorun On

Very wierd. I can't get anything to eject, but now I can burn DVD once again.