1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero and end of disc-at-once error?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by midk2k3, Feb 28, 2004.

1. midk2k3

midk2k3 Guest

I just burned a DVD tonight, my first one, and BLAM! Right at 100%, I get an error "Burn process failed: could not perform end of disc-at-once". I've heard a few things, including the nero version (upgraded to 6.3), the media (DVD+R in this case -- DVD-R seems to have no problems??) and the drive's firmware (no updates for mine).

I *do* have Roxio installed. Could this be a problem?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Needakip

Needakip Regular member

I only had this problem when i used some crappy disks, Try another brand to se if it still does it.

3. mparter

mparter Member

As Needakip has just indicated, it's probably bad media. I've only ever had this using the Bulkpaq Orange discs (Princo dye).

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

YES it will probably create a bad conflict between software(s)...

[is a known issue]

5. midk2k3

midk2k3 Guest

Thanks everyone. I was using DVD+R media, Memorex brand. I've updated Nero to 6.3.0.3 and I'm going to be using DVD-R from now on (because of two reasons: (1) appears to be more compatible with my Toshiba SD2200, and (2) because nobody seems to get these errors with DVD-R, only DVD+R).

I burned a DVD+RW last night as well, and it went OK (this was after the update). So I think the update may have fixed the problem. In any case, DVD-R sounds like a better choice.

Does anybody know any programs that will finalize my disc? I read about FINALIZE.EXE in the BatchDisc pack, but when I run it i get a "NO ASPI DRIVER" error or somesuch.

6. mparter

mparter Member

If you still have Roxio installed I think that can do it. Not 100% though as I've never used it for years.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

8. ann767

ann767 Guest

I just got my new Gateway Desktop PC with a dvd +/- rw drive. I just burned a DVD using DVD Shrink v3.1 and Nero 6, and Right at 100%, I get an error "Burn process failed: could not perform end of disc-at-once". the media i have is (Memorex DVD-RW 4.7 GB) and i have a Lite-On DVD +/-RW drive model 411-s. Can someone help me? i don't want to waste a dvd-r so that's why i'm using a dvd-rw disc.

9. donlotiel

donlotiel Guest

Hi, new here.

Did you check to see if the movies would play? I got the very same error message. I burned my first one last night using the same program & the same media. When I got that error message, I thought that the disc was ruined, too. But it plays just fine on my computer & on my regular DVD player. And all the features work, too. Today, I burned a couple more movies using TDK & Maxell media. I got the same error message, but the movies play just fine. Since I'm not having a problem with the movies I'm burning, I'm not going to change anything until it does cause a problem. Apparently the error isn't affecting the movie whatsoever.

10. donlotiel

donlotiel Guest

Oh yeah, I have to use the DVD+Rs. I don't have a dual drive. But I don't have Roxio on this one & was planning on installing it until I read some of these threads. I think I'll pass on it now. I had the Easy CD Creator Platinum on my old one because they said that the basic version wasn't compatible with WinXP, (I got that computer about 2 months after XP came out). It worked OK for a while, then all of a sudden I was having problems right & left. Even my DVD player quit working, or rather the software did. My husband found all that out when he tried to reformat it for his daughter. He didn't re-install it & now the thing works great. So maybe Roxio isn't such a great program after all.

11. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Is what all us knowledgeable people were saying in the first place... (d'oh)

;-)

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

So very true Herbs, so very true - in time they will learn - -

At any rate, since they have progressed so far, We'll try the second most important lesson -

Memorex is a good example, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record.

Let’s get your media straightened out -

1. * Cheap media freezes, frazzles, skips and stutters, pixelats, palpitates, partially jams, partially rams, won’t play, doesn’t pay, won’t burn, can’t turn or won’t be accepted, could be deflected, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized. :-( *(The preceding should be read out loud and with cadence and although the writer evokes LL, the meaning should be taken most seriously)

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “cyclic redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(

Inexpensive media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    Ritek G04's or Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap discs and good copies from 3 Verbatim discs or 3 Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

STOPGAP FIXES, NOT RECOMMENDED:
    1. * There's a little sometimes fix, it's to compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.2GB even. For instance when using DVD Shrink, open it and click “Edit”, then click “Preferences” on this page we’re going to select “DVD Target Size” as custom and set the size as 4200MB By reducing the amount to be burned you can stay away from the edges where the dye tends to be uneven and the discs may be brittle.

2. You can reduce the numbers of errors while burning cheapo media by burning at a reduced speed. It takes longer but what the heck, you’re saving money. Since you’re compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

A reminder, play your DVD in your DVD-ROM. It’s easier for your PC to read the disc and it is much easier on your DVD burner. The constant stopping and starting of your burner required to read a disc could cause overheating and premature wearing out of your DVD R/W drive. Sooo, use your DVD-ROM for reading and your DVD-RW for cooking.

And I say-th to you-th “Feel” the difference - Hold a “No-name” and a branded Verbatim - one in each hand and tell me they feel the same -

Welcome to the Club Newbies, if you have any questions about the above, please let us know -

Pete
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM. GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004