1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NERO, BLINDWRITE, can't burn.. help!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by yyzlisa, Feb 12, 2003.

1. yyzlisa

yyzlisa Guest

I recently downloaded 2 game files from KAZAA, Age of Mythology, file titled FLT-AM2A.bin.exe for disk 1 and FLT-AM2B.bin.exe for disk 2. I was instructed to rename it by removing the .exe leaving FLT-AM2B.bin
    After reading this thread on how to burn the cd, I downloaded BlindWrite. Created the cue file corresponding to the files. Cue files looked like
    FILE "FLT-AM2A.BIN" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    It does seem to recognize it, so, I continue with burning the CD on BlindWrite.
    I inserted a blank CD-R and it recognizes the CD, telling me how much space I have, etc. When I hit GO, It immediately tell me that I am getting errors writing to the CDROM and some other errors that follows.
    I thought it was the CD ROM acting up, so, I tried to do an EXTRACT with BLINDREAD. It seems to extract properly.
    Anyway, I then got hold of NERO BURNING ROM. I followed the wizard instructions to create CD FROM IMAGE FILE and selected my .cue file. It seems to recognize it and prompted me to save it as an .NRG after burning. At the end of it, I got a file.nrg on my harddrive, and cd in cdrom was untouched. Is there something wrong with my cd-rom driver or am I doing something wrong? All advice is appreciated.. THANKS

2. yyzlisa

yyzlisa Guest

I have an external HP cd writer 8200 series

3. yyzlisa

yyzlisa Guest

Also, I realized, after installing and "trying to run" BlindWrite and Nero, some of the functions in my cd-rom doesnt work properly, like reading a CD-RW, or writing to it, etc. I was using Adaptec Roxio Easy Cd Creator 5.0.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The answer that was given you in the README1ST (I had to remove it to clean that thread, sorry) is correct. Virtual Driver saves images on HD not on the CD. You need to select a Recorder first. If by default Nero chooses the Virtual Drive, is because it cannot find any burner installed.

In the README1ST you posted:

'I clicked on Recorder > Choose recorder, and there was one device found with the following:
    Device: Image Recorder
    SCSI ID: -
    Adapter: Virtual Device
    Adapter number: -

Clicked on Recorder > Medium, and there was no information at all.

Do I need to do autodetect driver or something when using it for the first time? Anyway, if that's the case, I'm screwed since I don't have the original CD that it requires to perform autodetect. Please advice. Thanks.
    '

Answer:

With CTRL+R (Recorder --> Choose Recorder) you see ALL devices that Nero recognizes. If only Virtual device is found, either you have to reinstall the burner either you have to update Nero. And the Nero CD is not needed at all. It's a problem of burner's drives. This might be confirmed by the fact that the problem occurs with other programs too.

(Next time, avoid multiple posting, please. I had to remove some of them. Multile posting is against Forum rules because it generates confuison. Thanks)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2003
  5. yyzlisa

yyzlisa Guest

Thanks for the answer, my apologies for the mulitple posting. I have a general question. I ended up uninstalling all BlindWrite and Nero and then Adaptec. Then, reinstalled Adaptec and the functions that I said were'nt working finally works again. Is there a rule against installing multiple or different programs that does CD-rom type funtionality?

6. yyzlisa

yyzlisa Guest

Also, is there a way to somehow create .iso files from these bin/cue files?

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

In general you can install anything (I have CloneCD, Alcohol, CDRWin and Nero, for instance). But if some drivers conflict you're in trouble. Ahead proposes a 'Boot' menu to avoid this. I really do not know, because i never had Adeptec.

About the second question: this shouldn't be a problem for 'true .ISO files' but someone says that Adaptec's .ISO files are not standard (as I posted in the Quick guide) so you risk ending up with a mess. In general image conversions are never good.

If Adaptec EZCD is unable to read .cue/.bin I would install a 'light' application like old CDRWin (work ALWAYS and does not install any driver. The prolem it that it burns slow) or Fireburner (go for version 1.07, because v2.0 only Tests Burn on shareware mode).

Or you can try to extract all stuff with isobuster and then burn files with EZCD (follow the "Quick guide, desperate method")

Last edited: Feb 13, 2003
  8. yyzlisa

yyzlisa Guest

I was reading somewhere that since I have an external cd writer, only certain software recognizes it, that's why I chose Nero and Blindwrite. According to them these were recommended. As I realized later, both of them doesnt recognizes it. Installing Nero causes my Adaptec EZCD to fail. Uninstalling it, causes my antivirus and firewall (both Norton) to fail. Thankfully I had the GOBACK program and it reversed the process. Is it because the extracted file itself has so many protection on it, therefore translating it to an .iso format will probably caused the CD to have some sort of error after burning it? THe CDRWIN you recomended, are you talking about version 3 or the clone version 5 made by some folks at Germany? I hear the latter sometimes screws up the configurations on your computer. As for Fireburner, I was also told/read somewhere that it doesnt recognizes external cdwriter drives..

9. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I would not reccommend the cloned version.
    More, it is well known that Adaptec (now Roxio) EZCD conflicts with other software. But If I could choouse, I would recommend Nero instead of EZCD (which sucks).

About Nero not recognizing the burner, I had an external CD-writer (HP 820e) and I had no problem using either Nero or CDRWin.

Please note that:
    - .ISO burning will not cause problem to hardware, uninstalling drivers and so on. But maybe the burner is not capable to burn unreadable sectors, used by certain protections, or burning RAW DAO...(read the Guide about this issue)
    - .ISO imges created by EZCD can only be burned by EZCD ecause they are not true .ISO files
    - CDRWin shareware version will only burn at minimum speed (ther say 1X but actuallt it will be your burners' minimum speed, say 2x or 4x)
    - Fireburner 2.17 shareware does not burn at all. You have to install 1.07 version.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2003