1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero burn button greyed out

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ladyluck5, Aug 28, 2004.

1. ladyluck5

ladyluck5 Guest

I guess I am not the only one with this issue. I have several movies backed up on my hard drive with dvdxcopy and dvd shrink. I just replaced my sony dru500a with a soney dru530 (old one stopped working correctly) Previously used nero v5.535 and had no problems but with new sony old version of nero did not acknowledge new drive. Downloaded demo version twice and still cannot get the burn button of nero express to light up. any ideas?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Is your burner's firmware up to date?

3. ladyluck5

ladyluck5 Guest

I am assuming that firmware is the software that usually comes with the hardware to make the hardware work correctly. The dru530 doesn't come with any it states that it should work without it. It plays movies it records data and music just not my movie files.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

5. ladyluck5

ladyluck5 Guest

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the updates and rebooted the computer. Still the burn button is greyed out. Any other suggestions? I am wondering why it is only movies that won't burn and everything else does.

6. colw

colw Active member

Are you using an OEM version of Nero?? Some OEM/Demo versions do not have the DVD burner software avaialable/enabled.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Ladyluck5,

First off, let's try to use Nero's Burning ROM instead of the express (wizard).

Here's a guide I wrote just for your very fine self :)

HINT:
    First, create a folder for your work on your desktop OR your HD. - Name it something that you'll be able to find. I named mine C:\All My DVD Work\Pirates of the Caribbean. Now load your IFO, BUP and VOB files there - make sure they are in a folder named VIDEO_TS written like that (all in Caps) - some programs like DVD Shrink will make the properly named folder for you, others you must make the folder yourself - Nero needs that folder with all it's contents in order to work properly -

Burning a file made by DVD Shrink.
    If you had used DVD Shrink to create a file on your HD you are truly in great shape. When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero Classic (don't use Wizard), trace your path back to "All My DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean", you don't have to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go - -

OK then Ladyluck5, are you all nice and comfy ? Good - its now time for - -
    "Uncle" ScubaPete's Step by Step, Let's burn with Nero 6 Guide -

First - Do not use Nero Wizard -
    Please follow EXACTLY -
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the "New Compilation" window. Directly under the title "New Compilation" is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose "DVD". Directly under that click on the "DVD Video Icon." Then click "New" in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the "DVD Video" window. In the left screen, click "VIDEO_TS". In the "File Browser" screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one you made earlier holding all of your files and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the "Shift" key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left and release the mouse button.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click "OK" and now, clear the room, stand up tall and shout out, "Burn Baby, BURN" ! One more time, let me hear you say it, "Who's your Daddy Now ???"
    Guess what Ladyluck5, you are done !!!

(Wheeew, now I really need a cigarette)

NOW, STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER ! !
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Ms. Computer. Never mess with the lady when she's working - it would be hazardous to your health, you understand -
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, she will let you know ;-))

Enjoy your backup, "P"

For Emergency use only !

If everything else failed and you're not burning -

Go on to the next step -

Nero even in it's prime is a little "flaky" at times. I suggest that you do a "clean uninstall". Here's what you'll need after you do your Nero uninstall -

Nero's Clean tools
    and Registry Checker

http://www.nero.com/en/631938356417810.html

After you've removed all of the remnants of Nero do a Nero reinstall and you should be good to go.

A last minute thought, make sure all your packet writers are turned off (in msconfig).

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  8. ladyluck5

ladyluck5 Guest

Hi everyone and thanks for all the great advice! I never got the burn button on nero express to work with dvd's but it could be because it is a demo version. I was able to burn great backups with the burning rom. It is not user friendly but it worked great. Each movie took about 30 minutes and played wonderfully.
    Thanks and I will talk to the nero people about the express demo issue.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Standin' up tall with one leg a little forward and in my best John Wayne voice -)

"Well there young lady, you're more than welcome, I'm sure - - Uuuuhhh Huh - "

(Huuuuuum, How did it sound guys, Huh ? How did it sound ?)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  10. michigan

michigan Guest

I'm very impressed Pete, now put it away big guy.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Huuuummmmppp, well iffin that's the way ya feel, Pilgrim, I'll just be on ma way -

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  12. michigan

michigan Guest

Your humor is always welcome, it's uplifting. Sometimes I have to leave because I'm laughing so hard.

13. twofake

twofake Member

To anyone on this thread, I began with the same question about the burn button and I'm still not getting it working. I will do a full Nero clean and remove the whole lot. I will down load the free trial version from the Nero site and leave out the IN CD 3 section am dthen load that onto the computer.Is that correct???
    This whole saga is really beginning to annoy me!!! I have gone out and bought DVD-RW discs now as there are a lot of coasters filling up my coffee table!!
    I'm off to the Nero site to start a fresh!
    Let me know if I have to do/not do something.
    I have seen Scuba Pete's guide about 4 times now but I have to start from the beginning....slow evolution!
    Any suggestions are most welcome.

14. ladyluck5

ladyluck5 Guest

Hi Twofake sorry you are having such a terrible time with it, I know how you feel. If you go to www.nero.com and download the demo version of nero ultra 6, it actually comes in two parts that should give you the burning rom option when you click on nero start smart. Then Petes directions are good. Also try ebay for +RW's I usually buy optidisc they are cheap, reliable and come in 2.4x which copy a full movie in 20 minutes. You can also go to www.digitalsolutions.com. Very cheap but a lot less reliable.
    Good Luck

15. michigan

michigan Guest

Hace you tried using Decrypter to burn instead of Nero? Before I bought the Full version of Nero I tried the Demo version and could NOT burn DVD's of any kind. Once i bought the full version it worked like a charm.

This was before you could use Decrypter to burn. I am a CAB (Cheap A$$ B@$tard) and if I was just starting out I would try it out with Shrink and Decrypter befroe going to Nero although Nero is an outstandong product I would use RW's instead of R's to save on the coasters and don't forget to buy the good media.

--Cue ScubaPete with his awesomoe guide and prolilfick sense of humor....--

Reintroducing ScubaPete!! (lights dim, spotlight on the old man ...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]emachines T1862, 1.8mhz, 762 ram, 60gig hdd, 10gig hdd, lite-on multiformat dvd, 1394 IEEE
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2004
  16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Burn with DVD Decrypter, Huuummm, that sounds like my cue -

OK, I could spice things up by teaching'em how to edit their DVD's using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Yea, I'll do just that cause I think their up to it :)

Hey everyone, There's another awesome TV Show coming on - and it's starring one of my favorite pple -

IS EVERYBODY READY ???

Well Ok then, let’s just sit down and get comfy in front of the Big screen TV cause in just a minute or so the “Uncle ScubaPete Show” will be coming on the air -
    - CLICK -
    ”Brought to you this evening by AfterDawn, the “Fat chewing” champion’s location of choice - and under threats by a crazed spear waving maniac, we are forced to present Mr. Brain-Dead, direct from his extend stay at the Happy Hills Institute of the Mentally Disabled and Disturbed Souls, and here he’ll be until it’s been discovered that he’s escaped yet again from that fine facility - and here he is, live and unfortunately still disturbed, it’s Uncle ScubaPete - - - - “

[bold]Ooooohh Boy, Ooohh Boy, The ScubaPete’s so happy I could spit fish ![/bold]

Big fat finny fish !

And what’s soo great it could get Old ScubaPete (the original couch potato) excited ?

[bold]FREE STUFF that’s what, FREE STUFF ![/bold]

I know I run behind the times but this needs Shouting Out !

The new DVD Shrink version 3.2.0.15 really started it all !

(Get your DVD Shrink’s newest version here - )
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Yea I know, it’s been out for a while, like me, I’ve been out for a while but I just found out how truly kweel the new DVD Shrink was -

We now we can go from Soup to Nuts, with just 2 programs and they are DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter -

(Get your DVD Decrypter’s newest version here - )
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

[bold]DID you know - that after we get setup, there are only 3 clicks (It takes 4 clickie things using DVD Xcopy) to go from start to finish ? How good is that ?[/bold]

First, you should create a folder for your DVD backup before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it - i.e. C:/All DVD work/Pirates of the Caribbean

Now open up DVD Decrypter - and under "Mode", select "ISO" then "Write" - under "Source" you may leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location that DVD Shrink will put your ISO files in all by itself. Select your "Destination" as your Burner - and make sure that the box that says "verify" is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on DVD Decrypter errors). Do that now. OK, feel free to close DVD Decrypter now because when DVD Shrink is finished it will open DVD Decrypter all by itself.

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD media, after all my efforts, it had better be Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Ridata or media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO". Other media could well be the cause of errors. Only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play in standalone players. But I suggest that you use your RW now until you get comfortable with the backup process. That way we won't be creating any "Coasters" during our trial period :) Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy, "Look how much money I saved on these." cheap stuff in. If you don't know what I'm talking about – you had better go back to reading these forum threads and seeing all the poor media complaints -.

Now go into DVD Shrink, click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size anywhere between "4260MB" to "4300" - we do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very edge of the disc. Then, under the "File I/O" tab [bd]un-tick[/b] "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK". Let's do it now !

Now let's burn a DVD, OK ? Click "Open Disk" and let DVD Shrink analyze (rip) your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim your movie a little, you can "un-tick" audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Himalayan Yak language selections or the Director's comments. This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and a better quality picture. If you would like, as I do, to get rid of all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the best quality picture), click "Re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1" If there are more choices, look at the time and select the longest one as that is usually the main attraction. Click and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there. Bingo, Bango, you are done editing, giving you the least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now select "Full Disc" to get ready to finish.
    If you want a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. There's no problem in doing this as long as we do not see any "Red" on the size bar at the top. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD. - Believe it or not, that was as hard as it ever gets - Why is that you ask ?

Because the next time all those boxes you had to do this time are already done - "Pissshaaa," you say. "Naaah." Says I. "Tis the most honest truth !" I added. :D) "Really and truly !" I stated.

“OK, Ok, What now.” Says you. (OOOhh, Pooohh, I gotta stop this “says you, says me,) It’s wearing me fingers out) - - (Switching to regular typing mode - - "clink", "Pop", -) - Done –

OK, time to move on (switching to the moving on mode - click, %@# rattle - snap, - #%@-Ouuuch, S@it, that hurt -, OK, I got it -CRUnch&#$ ) - - Moving on -

And I KNOW you aren’t going anywhere near that PC while it’s working cause you don’t want me a-smackin your knuckles with my Nun’s ruler do ya ? Yea, I thought not. - Screwin’ up the burn this late in the game would absolutely tick old ScubaPete off, causing me to choke on my fine finny fish dinner -

Now tell me, - - - Wasn’t that finer than frog hair ? Slicker than a southern slimy slithery sloth ? Yep, ya see there, I thought you’d say that -

Truly fine, that backup was - - “Hark, I heard a Backup Beep” - Aaauuugh, the officers in the white coats and armed with the big nets and straight jackets are here - a-backing up to my front door - nice talkin with you, this old ScubaPete just remembered he has to be somewhere, anywhere (looking for the backdoor) - -

Enjoy youse selves and your backed up DVD’s - I’ll be a-seeeein’ ya round the ‘ole Chuck wagon – Ooohhhhh, I almost forgot – We expect ya to send word by way of de Pony Express on how you made out – Don't you forget now – we're expecting to hear from you -

Now where are my quarters, and Where’s ol’ Paint, me trusty Horsie - - -
    Gotta go, gotta go - (jamming quarters in ole Paint’s neck)
    Get’em up Gurttie, gotta go, click, clump,
    (feedin’ in more quarters, maybe Paint’ll go faster - )
    Clippity, clippity, clippity clop -
    an we’re off – Sea Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa - -

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004