1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero burning problem - please help

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by snotter, Jan 29, 2005.

1. snotter

snotter Member

Hi,

I downloaded some avi files and have been burning them to DVD with Nero with no problems. Then I came across some avi files that play perfectly on Nero Showtime - good audio and video - but when I try to burn to DVD, I only get an audio recording. There is no error message. When I use the 'Add files' option to bring the avis into the Nero burning screen, I have noticed tha tthe files that aren't going to work have a blak thumbnail (the ones that work have the first frame in there). At least this has reduced the number of coasters I'm making. This is driving me nuts! I've tried an interim step of using Nero Recode to change the avis to mpegs, but then when burning I get the same no video problem.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have the very latest version of Nero suite.

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

The question probably belongs in the AVI to DVD forum, and would probably get more informed replies there.

If it weren't for the fact that Showtime plays them, I'd think maybe you were missing a codec. What do you know about the specs of the AVI file? (Gspot is good for this.)

3. snotter

snotter Member

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply! I really appreciate it.

One interesting thing on the codec thing is that although these avis play on Nero Showtime, they only show as black with audio in Windows Media Player. You may well be right with the codec diagnosis.

The avis were part of a huge (57 gig!) download of DVD rips (a TV series). There are 7 'Seasons', each with around 22 45 minute episodes. Seasons 1-5 recorded fine, but from 6 onwards I get this problem.

I'll try to get hold of Gspot (sorry, but this is new to me) and see what it says.

I wonder if Nero is using the right codec to play the file in Showtime, but not picking it up for the burning bit. If so, any help on how to fix would be very welcome.....

4. snotter

snotter Member

Hi,

Sorry, I should have done this before my previous response. I ran GSpot and it said I had all the Codecs needed - no problems identified.

But I did notice that the files I can burn OK are div3 DivX 3 low motion, and the ones I can't are DX50/divx DivX 5.0

You were right about the codec being the problem! Question is, if the codecs are installed OK, why isn't Nero picking them up? Do you know of anything obvious I may be doing wrong?

Cheers