1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero: cannot burn a 757MB to a 700MB SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by goebl, Dec 26, 2003.

1. goebl

goebl Member

Hi!

As far as I know, SVCDs don't use the error correction of ISO CDs and as a result offer more space for the video data than ISO CDs.
    I've made a 19 minutes home video and in order to maximize the quality I rendered it with non SVCD-standard parameters (most DVD-players would accept and play it anyway):
    720x576, VBR, appr. 5000kBit/sec
    I rendered it with TMpegEnc Plus and told it, the video should fit on a 700MB VCD/SVCD.
    The result is a 794.089.476 bytes file which should be OK for burning on a 700MB media in SVCD mode.
    But neither with Nero 6.3.0.0 nor with 5.5.10.54 i was successful. Creating a non-standard SVCD (with image recorder) results in an image file of appr. 900.000.000 bytes length which will obviously not fit on the CD.
    Burning it directly to my writers (Sony DRX-500UL, Plextor PXW-124TS) also fails: Nero tells me it would need a CD being capable of recording 86 minutes instead of the 80 minutes (or 82 minutes using overburn) my 700MB media can hold.
    Why does the size of my mpeg file increase by mor than 13% when I try to create the SVCD.
    Any ideas?

Thank you very much for your help,
    Bernhard
    Nero tells me the

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Does this File have a SVCD Header or is it just a Plain Mpeg2 File??? If it doesn"t have a Header a Lot of Programs will rewrite the header to a SVCD Header which can add Quite a Bit of Padding to the Mpeg stream which makes the File size bigger...If you Load the File into tmpgenc"s "Merge & Cut" with the "Super-Video-CD" setting selected in the Dropdown menu and then click "Run" and it will Make a Copy of the File but with a SVCD Header, Now try to author it and see if it fits...You can also set your Overburn to 90 minutes then it would Burn untill it was Finnished or it Failed..And Your DVD Player Will Probably not be able to Handle the 5000kbs+ Bitrate, That would Requirte your DVD Player haveing a 4X Speed DVD Drive in it were Most DVD Players that support Standard SVCD"s have a 2X DVD Drive in them ...Your DVD Player has to Spin the CD-R up to 600% faster than it has to spin a DVD just to read a VCD so many DVD Players Have a Hard time reading CD-R bitrates that High...and if you have Display Problems at 720+576 Try 704+576 I have found it to work better in some Players...Cheers

3. goebl

goebl Member

Hi Minion!

Thank you very much for your help.
    The "Cut & Merge" thing seemed to do the trick.
    The resulting file size even decreased a little bit (from 794.089.476 to792.909.292) with SVCD VBR-settings.
    Now nero tells me it will need 76 minutes (762MB) instead of 86 minutes.
    The note on 4x speed is valuable but I will just try it.

Best regards,
    Bernhard