1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero cd-dvd speed

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dr99, Mar 5, 2007.

1. dr99

dr99 Member

when checking disk quality what is the best speed to scan at? I remember reading 4x but i wanted to check on here.

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The slower the speed, the more accurate the reading because error correction has an easier time of making any corrections. Faster speeds are useful for pushing the threshold of mechanical problems such as radial runout or instability, but the error rates correlate far less with what calibrated equipment will provide.

3. maxxjulie

maxxjulie Regular member

most people that post quality scans for comparison purposes use 8x. i use 8x and usually get great scans. if your scans are not impressive at that speed then your burns suck.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Scan speed is not necessarily an accurate way to determine recording quality. On certain Lite-On drives I could get good results at 16X, failures at 8X, good results at 4X, and excellent results at 1X on identical discs. The only thing I could determine as a cause was mechanical resonances at 8X with radial deviation measurements. It was the combination of drive/medium that was causing speed related errors. On other drives such as Plextor, Pioneer, NEC, or LG, the scans at different speeds on the same discs did not deviate significantly. So, failed scans at 8X was no indication of the recording quality at all.