1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero/Copy to DVD thinks the DVD is not blank

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by magic58, Oct 28, 2004.

1. magic58

magic58 Member

I was at my neighbour's place trying to back up a movie for him; however, every time you hit the 'Burn' button either with Nero or Copy To DVD. The disc tray ejects and asks to put in a blank DVD. Tried with RITEK and another brand as well. Does the same for CD's as well. Tried 'System Restore' as it was working the previous day also reinstalled Nero but no good.
    Also I noticed that if after attempting to burn, you put a cd in either tray(burner or CD ROM), you get the mesage that there is no CD in the drive. Restart the system and hey presto it will read.
    Any suggestions?

2. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

I`m not by a pc with nero installed at the moment, but is the burner selected in nero settings as the recording device?

3. magic58

magic58 Member

Thanks but I just got it working again. I went back another week in system restore and defragged the PC. Not sure which one of them did the trick, but all is good again. Cheers.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi magic58, welcome to aD,

My guess would have been the Defrag too.

Other things to look at should like systems occur again, Firmware update, check the ASPI Layer and try a change of media.

We're glad you got it working, when you have time and no problem, stop back anyway, ya just might pickup something useful or be able to help someone else -

We'll look for ya, until then,

Take care,

Pete

5. ggoody

ggoody Member

The only time something similar has happened to me is when I tried to copy a dvd on the fly reading a -R DVD and burning to +R DVD which I beleive hold less data then -R's not sure why though,it would spit the DVD out everytime.I have been using -R media since does my theory hold water....LOL

6. ggoody

ggoody Member

oops

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  7. ggoody

ggoody Member

oops

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi ggoody, welcome to aD,

Heh, heh, I did hear you the first time :)

(You can edit posts ya know, all you have to do is leave one word i.e. "Oooopps"

The only way you can "Copy on the fly" is if you are copying a copy. You can't do it with an encrypted DVD.

The difference between +R and -R is so very small that your theory doesn't hold :(

Actually, at the present time, it is the +R media that is the leader for writing speed - in the near future the -R may catch up. The theoretical top limit writing speed is 16X which can be achieved by using those drives that can do it and by using +R media. Currently, -R can't be written too at 16X. -

As for me, I won't use anything but +R media -

Cheers,

Pete

9. dodvet200

dodvet200 Member

Thanks to everyone for all their inputs on all the matter.

After my first 15 DVD-R burns or back-ups I have successfully gotten only 6 to work....(I know HAHA)

So here it is, DVD Shrink and Nero 6.0 Corp
    Using Memorex/Fuji 4x/8x DVD's, will change to Verbatim or anything else that you all might recommend..

Started out buring at max will change to 4x..
    Opening disc ad only wanting to do just movie title and that is it..extra's waste of time...Blah Blah

When done movies are coming out compressed, glithcey, and pixelated...ay suggestions as to what I should do?

Once again thanks to all

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK Jay,

Use DVD Shrink to open disc, then go to re-Author and move the "Title 1 from "Main movie" from the right side of the window to the left side of the window. Now go to "Backup". If you can, do Deep Analysis and then Maximum Smoothness and burn with the burner of your choice to disc.
    for media, we recommend, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Verbatim DataLife "Plus", Ridata, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets..

Many times the pixelations are caused by poor media :(

Let's see how we do with that -

Pete