1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero disk reading problems

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by markh12, Jun 20, 2007.

1. markh12

markh12 Member

I have used shrink to back up a dvd on to my hard drive and i am now trying to burn it to a disc. however when i click on the disc information button on the toolbar i get this message "no disc inserted or drive not ready please try again", and when i go to burn the disc underneath the tick box for the virus check it says "drive is not initializing! - perhaps due to a defective disc". i have had the same with other discs both new and old and with other burning software. I have not had any problems buring audio CDs previously. this information i have on the drive is "pioneer DVD-RW DVR-k14l" please help

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi markh12
    What brand of discs have you tried?
    Which other burning software have you tried?

Who's the maker of the laptop? May just need a firmware update - here's update for Medion & Acer. If yours is one of those those update to the latest (1.14 for acer, 1.10 for medion) - link

3. markh12

markh12 Member

hi, i have used TDK and philips discs. the maker of the laptop is sony and i have used deepburner and copytoDVD software.

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Ok check Sony's site and see if there is a firmware update for the Pioneer. Sony would be the ones supporting it.

Have you been able burn to the TDK's and Philips discs before?
    If not try another some better brands like Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden or made in Japan Sony, Fuji or Maxell.

Try also uninstalling the ide chanell in device manager. Check and make sure all transfer modes are set to DMA too. Here's a guide.

Still a no go then try uninstalling the drive itself in device manager rebooting and let windows do it's thing and reinstall.
    Under dvd/cd drives click on the + then right click on the drive and pick uninstall. Reboot.