1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero doesn't read my blank dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sfcarmex, Apr 11, 2005.

1. sfcarmex

sfcarmex Guest

Hi I have installed Nero's latest version Nero Burning Rom. I shrink movies so I can burn them on to a blank DVD. When I click on a burn or copy button it reads "Disc required for the compliation: DVD+R/RW" and right below it says "Disc Type in recorder: DVD+R". In other words, it's not reading my blank DVDs. I can't figure out what the problem is because I am in fact using DVD+R and it sure has the RW logo on them. The blanks are by memorex, DVD+R speed 8x 4.7 GB. I tried this on Roxio too but no success. What someone tell me what's wrong? Is it Memorex? If so what other brands should I get? I can afford to buy a top of the line blank DVDs. What about Sony?
    Thanks in advance

2. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

as far as i remember maxell arent good disks... in fact they are shite disks...

better get:
    TY - beware of fakes!
    certain fuji (check media forums for which)
    certain ritek
    verbatim

i also seem to remember some people having issues running roxio & nero (uninstall roxio - nero kicks its ass)

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Memorex do sux, but you should still be able to write to them..

Try updating the firmware to your DVD drive by going to the manufacturers website and downloading the corret firmware for your drive. Also Roxio and Nero don't get along to well together so pick one you like and get rid of the other one. Also if you have any of the packet writing software installed (InCD, Drag to Disk, DirectCD) you need to get rid of them because they can cause problems when burning your DVD's.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Memorex are not highly recommended here at AD,except for Venom05,lol
    They have some pretty crappy manufacturers along with some good ones. Finding the better manufacturers isn't very easy. CMC-Mag is one of the manufacturers to watch out for.

Most of my media says dvd+r along with a small logo saying RW. It's just a trademark logo and doesn't actually mean it's a rewriteable. I've argued many sellers on ebay showing pictures of dvd+/-r and trying to sell them as dvd +/- rw because of that little RW logo.

Maxell DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
    Maxell DVD+R 4x (YUDEN000T01)
    Maxell DVD+R 8x High Grade Video (MAXELL002)
    Maxell DVD-R 1x (RITEKG03....)
    Maxell DVD-R 2x (MXL RG01....)
    Maxell DVD-R 4x (MXL RG02....)
    Maxell DVD-R 4x (TYG01.......)
    Maxell DVD-R 4x (RITEKG04....)
    Maxell DVD-R 8x (MXL RG03....)

I'd take any of those maxell's any day of the week.

Another possibility is your burner's firmware isn't programmed for this certain mfg code of those memorex's.This can also happen on any of the newer 8x media coming out-so a firmware update may have to be performed.

Also, I am unsure of what you are trying to backup as far as file wise,avi,Iso,jpeg,etc onto dvd+r. You may have too large of a target.You can't get an actual 4.7 gigs out of a blank dvd+r,only about 4.4 gigs or so MAX.Keeping a target size of about 4300-4360 mbs will take care of that issue.

Last,Does your burner support + format? What brand name and model # is it?

The sony +1x-8x are very good. They are made in japan: Yuden000-to2 and Taiwan. The other speeds you may want to avoid.Some of the +4x are ricohjpn-01.
    Genuine ty's are said to be the best
    Fuji's are very good-made in Japan.
    Maxell's all have very good manufacturers,all the +4x's I have used have been ricohjpn01's.
    Genuine ritek.
    Verbatim Data Life Plus +8x are very good. Some of the data life +4x's have reports of cmc-mag as their ID.

If you buy your media in a local store, Look for MADE IN JAPAN on those wrappers and they should be very good. Taiwan makes some good media like verbatim datalife plus,ricohjpn-01, and ritek g04's. But cmags are also made there.Singapore makes some verbatims and they are getting good results. If made anywhere else like india,austria,etc-Then stay away from. Some of those sony -1x-4x are made in austria-That's why I stay away from all but the +1x-8x sony media.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  5. tomdelany

tomdelany Member

yup its definetly your media. Unless, have you tried any other types of media because it might be your dvd-writer. best try afew other brands and see what happpens.

6. dsabedra

dsabedra Member

My experience with memorex brand is that I wasted my money on purchasing 100 pack and one after another did not work. This was even with a firmware update. Does anyone know what the issue is. Also, in addition, HP blanks does not work either.

7. sfcarmex

sfcarmex Guest

Thanks for the replies. I do in fact have Roxio and other programs and as you have suggested, I'll get rid of them. I don't know why model I have since I am at work but it's a Toshiba and I'm certain it supports DVD R+. The size of the movies is not an issue because they are all well under 4.7. I guess what I'll do is to exchange the blanks for another brand later today and pray that these work. If you have any further comments, please let me know. Thanks again.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

dsabedra: HP DVD+R 2.4x (CMC MAG.R01)
    HP DVD+R 4x (CMC MAG.F01)
    HP DVD+R 4x (MCC.....002)
    HP DVD+R 8x (CMC MAG.E01)
    HP DVD+RW 4x (PHILIPS-041-000)

You can notice that HP and Memorex use the same manufacturer- CMC magnetics.Again you notice HP dvd+r is made by mitsubishi and cmags and both these are made in taiwan.So it is going to be luck if you pick out the good MCC-002 ones and not get the cmags.

Here are some manufacturers for Memorex:
    Memorex DVD+R 16X (CMCMAG M01)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x (CMC MAG.F01)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x (MBIPG101-R03-000)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x Printable (MCC-003-000)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (CMC MAG E01)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (PHILIPSC08)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (PRODISCR03)
    Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x (CMC MAG.W01)
    Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x (INFODISCA01)
    Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x (RICOHJPNW01)
    Memorex DVD+RW 4x (CMC MAG.W02)
    Memorex DVD+RW 4x (MKM-A02)
    Memorex DVD+RW 4x (RICOHJPNW11)
    Memorex DVD-R 2x (CMC MAG.....)
    Memorex DVD-R 2x (TAIYOYUDEN..)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (CMC MAG. AF1)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (MBI 01RG20)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (MCC 01RG20)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (ProdiscS03)
    Memorex DVD-R 8X (CMC MAG AE1)
    Memorex DVD-RW 1x (ProdiscDVDRW)
    Memorex DVD-RW 2x (RITEKW01) MINI DVD-RW 1.36GB
    Memorex DVD-RW 2x (RITEKW01....)
    Memorex DVD-RW 2x (TDK502sakuM3)

That's a a boatload of cmags!! It's a huge gamble if you use any of those Memorex or HP media.

Media is the first thing to check when problems occur.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  9. sfcarmex

sfcarmex Guest

Well I went to exchange memorex for maxell at lunch. I had opened the package but they didn't seem to care. I can't wait to go home and try these maxell. If they don't work, then I'll have to go back and exchange them for something else until something works. I'll keep you guys updated.

10. sfcarmex

sfcarmex Guest

Hey guys, no luck even with a different brand of blank DVDs. I just don't understand why this is happening. Again, the message reads that the required disc is DVD+R/RW and that what I have is DVD+R and those blanks are in fact RW. What doesn't make sense is that I used to be able to do this (copying DVDs). Couple months ago, my laptop crashed so I reinstalled windows and had to reinstall nero 6 again. Now it's telling me I can't write on these DVDs. I checked my Toshiba Burner and it sure is capable of recording and writiing DVD+R. What can I do now?

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Will your drive even read original DVD's?

You could try downloading and installing an ASPI layer.

The term 'ASPI' is an acronym that stands for: Advanced SCSI Programming Interface. All the following terms are synonymous: ASPI layer, ASPI drivers, ASPI interface. The term 'SCSI' [scuzzy] is an acronym that stands for Small Computer Systems Interface.

An ASPI layer consists of four files that 'lie between' various programs [software] and certain devices, such as CD/DVD-ROM drives and CD/DVD burners/writers [hardware]. Software programs such as CD digital audio extractors [commonly known as 'Rippers'] and CD-writing utilities such as CDRWin use/require ASPI drivers to 'communicate with' SCSI devices.

Many people don't realize however, that the files contained in an ASPI layer are also used in systems that *don't* contain a SCSI adapter, or SCSI devices .. for things such as ripping CD audio and burning CD/DVDs.

ASPI DOWNLOAD http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...duct/ASPI-4.70&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe&sess=no

12. sfcarmex

sfcarmex Guest

mmayo, what exactly does this aspi do for me? i'm not exactly a computer wiz and i'm not quite following you.
    i think the problem is that i need to be using dvd+r/rw, not dvd+r. there are dvds specifically termed as dvd+r/rw and i just hope they work this time and that i can actually play dvd+r/rw on regular dvd players since my dvd player is pretty basic.
    to answer your question yes i can play and even burn regular dvds on my drive. i just can't write using it.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try installing the ASPI layer it can't hurt. You will have better results normally with DVD R media than you would normally with the RW media so I don't think that is the problem. Do you happen to know the ID code on those Maxell's you got? You can use this program to check http://home.scarlet.be/~ping3828/dvd_identifier.zip Let me know what the manufacturer code is of those DVD's.

14. Harriet

Harriet Member

I've been having a similar problem - can't get Nero Visionexpress to recognise DVD+RW, and once I've tried to burn something and it has failed, Windows Explorer then displays my DVD writer as a simple CD drive. I've tried reinstalling the Nero reloaded package in full, updating the firmware for my drive (a Samsung TS-H552U) and checking for any related Windows updates - nothing works. I had no problems writing to DVD-R (Maxell as it goes) and the Nero infotool confirms that the drive supports DVD+RW. Pretty sure it's not the discs (TDK DVD+RW47MAEB) as they work fine in my DVD recorder - has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

Hat