1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero / Dual Layer / Verbatim

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by EFFEDUP, Jun 4, 2007.

1. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

I have burnt many DVD'S no problem.
    Since I started burning Dual Layer Disc's I have had about a 75% success rate.
    a A lot of my Verbatims have failed, a few of the Memorex have failed.
    And I have had a 100% success rate with TDK.

Every Movie plays on the computer, but in my Magnavox player it will not play.

I want to stick with Nero, I have recently tried ImgBurn but was hoping to stay with Nero.

Coasters Anyone?

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

What's the make and model of the drive? May just need a firmware update.

The make and model will also tell us if the drive has booktyping capabilities. If it does for most drive Nero should automatically booktype them to DVD-Rom. Only +R DL or +R media can be booktyped.

Players can be picky with media especially DL so booktyping them to DVD-Rom can help w/ compatibility.What burn speed are you using? Try taking it down a notch.

Just my imho but ImgBurn does a better job w/ DL then Nero - handles the layer break better in my experience.

3. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

Hey Blinkie how are you?

Currently using Memorex DVD+RDL

Below are the Drives I am using.

My fastest burn speed has been 2.4x the Memorex are rated at 2.4x should I lower it fom 2.4X?

Drive E:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615S
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate Not Available
    SCSI Target ID 2
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMSONY_DVD-ROM_DDU1615S___________________EDS3\4&36DE0F85&0&1.0.0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/4/2004 12:59 AM)

Drive F:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate Not Available
    SCSI Target ID 0
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMTSSTCORP_DVD+-RW_TS-H553A_______________DE04\4&3EC675A&0&0.0.0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/4/2004 12:59 AM)

4. binkie7

Doing good EFFEDUP :
    You'd probably be doing if you can get these dual layers burned and played on the player :)

Well you have the latest firmware but your drive doesn't support booktyping. Dang - that might have helped the compatibility in the player. If you can try one in friends/family player and see how it does.

2.4x is low but you might want to try 2x. May not make a diff though.

What is the rated burned speed of the Verbatims and TDK's dual layer?

5. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

I will check the other discs, Should I upgrade the DVD burner, its brand new with my XPS700.

I tried ImgBurn , followed the directions to the letter and now have another coaster.

6. binkie7

Maybe if Dell will replace it for an newer model and you really just want to burn dual layer media. They can be costly coasters :)
    But that may or may not help w/ the compatibility on the player.
    Check here and see if the player accepts +R/ -R dl media - videohelp

Check the rated speed on the other dual layer. Here's a post from JoeRyan that will help explain the differences between the slower rated dual layer 4x & under and the higher rated ones. link

7. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

ok Ive been messing with Imgburn, so far 3 out of 3

I know they say use Verbatim but I am using up my Memorex 2.4x have about another 50

Not sure where to put the breaks, because out of the 3 I burnt none have suggested a good break.

All of the "stars" rate good.
    Is there a way to select a break without guessing?

8. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Hey Effedup,

I also burn a fair amount of DLs and I've found that quality media goes along way in playback capability.

How old is your Magnavox player? Some of the older standalones have trouble playing DLs. I had to upgrade from my JVC player (3 yrs old) to a Pioneer inorder to get reliable playback of my DLs. My brother has a newer Sony stand-alone which won't play them at all, but has a Sony portable which will.

I agree with Binkie7 on ImgBurn for burning DLs. I also wanted to stay with Nero but ImgBurn allows you to control the burn speed with DLs which Nero does not (it defaults, and greys out, at Max). If you use +Rs, choose a layerbreak at the 50/50 mark. -Rs you can't select.

Good preparation of you computer is more critical when burning DLs. Defrag regularly, run ccleaner, etc. If your buffer runs dry, your screwed. You can get a successful burn even when you buffer runs dry (speaking from experience). I have problems on my P3 1 Gig CPU w/ 745 Meg Ram with everything shut down at times.

Have you done any CD/DVD Speed Scans on any of these disks? The quality scan rating could tell us something. If yes, can you post?

9. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

Can you tell me how then I can post the info.
    The player is a few weeks old but I bought it at Sams club, how can I find an accurate date.

So set the break at a mark that says 50/50?
    Thanks

10. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

After you do the scan, at the upper right corner of the window, reading/interpreting the icons from right to left are Close, Minimize, Save Image, Save Info(?). Depending on your screen resolution, the third item from the right should like like a floppy disk. Clicking on it will save a screen shot of the scan to your My Documents folder (changeable). You would then need to post the scan to an image site like Photobucket or Imageshack(these are free services, BTW). Once posted there, they generate a link for image posting to sites like this. Sounds complicated but once you do it a couple of times the most complicated part is remembering where you saved the image.

What Model number is your Magnavox? Sams Club is notorious for selling discontinued items.

BTW, I've never seen TDK DLs. You get them at Sams also?

11. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Is this your Magnavox? DP170MS8

Model: DP170MS8
    Enjoy HDMI DVD technology with the Magnavox HDMI DVD Player. The HD Picture upconverter broadcasts up to 1080p. This DVD player lets you enjoy your movies with an HD picture and features progressive scan, slow motion, frame advance and comes with a 6 ft. HDMI cable.
    HD picture upconversion (up to 1080p) with HDMI connection
    DVD-R/RW Playback
    CD-R/RW Playback

It's possible your player will only play -R media. If you're setting the layer break, you're using +R media.

Just found out your TDK media is +Rs. So apparently your player will play +Rs.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  12. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

I will check the Model tonight.
    Since I have been using ImgBurn and specifying the breaks I have had 6 successful burns and Playbacks.

I am still confused as to the layer breaks.

Anything showing 50/50 would be good?

When I did “The Guns of Navarone” there were about 8 or so that showed a 50/50…can I choose any of these and be ok?

I have been guessing at the layer breaks.

I went back thru “Shrink” and “Nero” and redid the bad play discs and reburnt them onto 4.7gig discs using the compression setting, they played fine on the player also.

So I think the playback issue is the “Layer Break”
    That is why I want to understand this Layer Break stuff!

13. binkie7

Here's a pretty comprehensive quide on build mode and dual layer burning with ImgBurn - link.

The layer break is basically where the burner will start burning to the 2nd layer of the disc.

If you're doing movies that decrypter can handle the copy protection on here's the easiest method. Rip in iso mode with decrypter then open the mds file in ImgBurn and your set. The mds file contains all the info needed to burn including where the layer break is.

If you need decrypter you can get it here - link. Same guy that did ImgBurn.

14. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

Got it Thanks.
    3 more questions that im good.
    On ImgBurn what does "SPLIP" mean?
    How can I update my Firmware if needed?
    And how do I check to see if it needs to be updated?
    Currently burning Rat Patrol season 1 and that specified a layer break.

15. binkie7

3 answers for ya :)

1. SPLIP column is a layer break flag that deals w/ seamless playback - meaning might not notice a slight pause when it hits this break.
    Here's a bit on it from ImgBurn - link.

2 & 3. Dell pc? Check Dell's site for newer versions or if you have an update program on the pc w/ Dell. Right now you have the latest DE04. If you look in your post above you'll see the version listed to the right in this line (after the model #):
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMTSSTCORP_DVD+-RW_TS-H553A_______________DE04

Hope that helps!

edit - typos :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  16. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@EFFEDUP

Listen to Binkie7, she knows what she's talking about. I've learned alot from her and I just learned something I was too stupid to ask! (about SPLIF).

If you are burning to Memorex +r DLs (you never told us what they code out to be), and they code out to Ritek D01, you probably will have about a 30% sucess rate, no matter what you choose for a layer break. This is from personal experience & other input from here:

Originally posted by pholmes31:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Those are rated as first class media,check out this website for more info. on dvd codes.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've learned that using the best quality media when burning DLs is imperative! Even though Verbatims are expensive, you will burn twice that trying to burn to other DL media (I'm speaking from experience. Want to buy some Ritek +R DL's????)

If you have a Dell laptop, I just saw in the last couple of days a caviat stating that disks burned on their DVD burner are not guarranteed to play in other drives. TSST are supposedly Samsung drives, which aren't too bad. Dell is probably trying to shift blame if people have problems burning disks.

17. binkie7

Txs for the nice words hobbit112 - appreciated!

Yeah the TSST drives are Toshiba/Samsumg drive.
    Figures Dell would try and pass the blame - geez take ownership!

18. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Well deserved cudos Binkie7!

What do you expect from Dell since they'd dropped to #2 behind HP/Compac??

Got any secrets you'd like to share on crabcakes?? ;P

19. binkie7

Ah you know of the Maryland crabcakes :)
    Secret is the spice - Old Bay

@EFFEDUP
    Forgot to ask earlier - the dl backups are now playing in the magnavox not just the pc?

20. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

So far the ImgBurns are at a 100% success rate playing on both computer and player.
    And expense isnt a problem ...if the verbatims are better thats what I will buy.
    They werent readily available and I had some serious burning to do.

Oh and by the way when you use Old Bay watch adding any extra salt...you wont need it... sometimes the recipe calls for extra salt. Trust me you wont need it.

Blinkie just stole my soul

Thanks for the info...next step Blue Ray