1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NERO DVD cannot play on WMP

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by xenonian, Feb 5, 2007.

1. xenonian

xenonian Guest

My first shot for help is in the NERO Forum possibly because something has changed in NERO.

I am on the latest version of NERO 6.

Up through the summer of 06 I could burn home made .wmv files onto a DVD using NERO & they would play fine in WMP . I could give that DVD to anyone who had WMP on their desktop and they could play it. It also played on all my home DVD players.

This was prior to upgrading my NERO 6 to latest patches in the fall of 06

Now - the only way I can or anyone can view a NERO compiled DVD is either with NERO or with VLC. (& yes I was using the same media types - however, since then I have had to play around with alot of different media just to get a DVD that plays in the standalone DVD players at my home - the ones I used before don't play now - another curiousity since NERO is the only major software change I think I have made other than MS SP's)

I have gone back and checked the old nero DVDs & as of today they can still play in WMP - but the ones I have compiled since Fall 06 do not play in WMP? I can get them to run properly in VLC and on some of my tv players.

The issue is this - when making copies for family members(like Mom) who are on a Windows platfrom and are not that PC literate - -it was ok to just send them to them because I knew that they would play in WMP if not their tv player.

I have read that WMP cannot handle MPEG2 - but then why did WMP play the nero burned DVD's for over a year - was there something in the NERO upgrade that changed the way NERO does a compile and disables the capability to play in WMP?

Ask me anything - I am stumped.
    If you think there is another forum room I should post this in to get help - let me know......

I really appreciate any input here.

P.S. Here may/ may not be another set clues in helping to trouble shoot this....:
    (1) When a friend took my NERO DVD and duplicated copies for me on her DVD duplicating machine at home and returned them to me - curious - but now I WAS able to view them in WMP
    (2) I create those .wmv files in MS Photostory 3 first. I used to be able to view my Photostory .wmv file inside of the Photostory viewer - but during this same time period - Photostory viewer stopped working for me as well - - so the only way for me to view my new .wmv files was to go out of PS3 and view them in WMP or VLC.

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Well, it sounds like something has gotten corrupted. All I might suggest is probably what Nero will tell you and that is to use the Nero 6 clean tools to uninstall and then reinstall. Maybe you have a problem with your drive, or a codec, or another area.

If you want to post your NeroHistory log first to see if anyone notices anything that needs attention, do so and take out your serial number. I am not sure what the recommended version of Nero 6 is, but maybe you could state which one you have.

3. zapatero

zapatero Member

"I could give that DVD to anyone who had WMP on their desktop and they could play it. It also played on all my home DVD players."

To play a DVD, WMP needs a MPEG-2 decoder. But WMP does not include an "internal" decoder, so it cannot play DVDs unless an "external" decoder has been installed. Nero installs its own MPEG-2 decoder, which can be used by WMP. DVD players also install their own decoders. Or you can install a codec pack that includes MPWEG-2 decoders, like the "K-LIte" packs.

4. xenonian

xenonian Guest

Ok -this may be at the heart of it perhaps -

I am not a techie - so maybe you or someone else can help me out to the next step here - -how does one find out if the NERO MPEG 2 decoder is still there? working?

Does WMP recoginize the NERO decoder automatically when it is present or is there some reinstall or other action I would have to take?

again - - my sincere thanks !!!!!

5. zapatero

zapatero Member

WMP recognizes the Nero decoder automatically.

Nero decoders are in C:\Program files\Common files\Ahead\DSFilter
    (folder names are translated, may be incorrect).

To find out if there is an MPEG-2 decoder installed:
    Start > Run ...
    Enter cmd in the Open box, and click OK
    Type dvdupgrd /detect
    and press Enter
    A Windows dialog box will open with identifying information about the installed software.
    If No decoders found is displayed, no decoder is installed.

Or, Google "DECCHECKSetup.EXE", go to the MS site, download, install and execute DECCHECK.exe.

"The Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility helps you determine if an MPEG-2 video decoder (also called a DVD decoder) is installed on your Windows XP computer and whether or not the decoder is compatible with Windows Media Player 10 and Windows XP Media Center Edition."

6. xenonian

xenonian Guest

OK - ran the utility - this is what I have
    NVIDIA decoder (set as the preferred one)
    Nero Video Decoder
    Nero DVD Decoder
    VOB Mpeg2 Video Codec
    VOB MPEG2 Video Transcoder

The utility says the others will not run in WMP10 properly?

7. zapatero

zapatero Member

It seems some of the decoders are not compatible with WMP 10, but the "preferred" one is.

You can check compatibility playing with WMP a commercial DVD. If it plays, there is not a decoder problem.

Note that if you are using WMP 10 and you upgraded from 9, it is possible that the decoder that worked well with 9 does not work with 10. The purpose of DECCHECK.exe is to check compatibility with WMP 10.

8. xenonian

xenonian Guest

Ok will check that

but let me understand something - the NERO decoder is not compatible with WMP10?

Does that mean anything I create in Nero cannot be viewed using WMP10?