1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Express 2 install problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by fasfrank, Mar 2, 2004.

1. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi everyone,
    I have been trying to reinstall a Nero update download (nve2108) for a couple of weeks now. The problem first appeared when I had some difficulties getting my new Pioneer A-07 to burn.

The Nero download I needed was the first two packages of a four package download,

package 1: nero6303, package 2: nve2108.

Package 1 contains Nero Burning ROM and other programs, Package 2 contains Recode 2 and other programs.

This is what I do:
    Run Nero Cleantool to remove all Nero programs.
    Reboot.
    Run Nero Registry Checker and Driver Clean tool.
    Use Win Explorer to verify the removal of the programs.
    Download and install nero6303 with success.
    Download nve2108 and attempt to install.

I get this message:

"An error occurred during the copy process (file name:)
    Error: 183
    Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
    Please reboot your computer and retry."

No file name is shown in the message so I don't know what file the message is referring to.

I believe that the Clean tool does not remove Nero completely, that various registry entries and other assorted Nero debris is still there.

I attempted the install in safe mode, I've restored XP back as far as it would go. I've reversed the install order. Disabled my firewall, completed a virus scan or two, fragmented my drives. Went hunting for Nero and Ahead entries in the registry, which is not something I want to make a habit out of.

I did manage to get my burner working after installing nero6303. I have the early version of Recode 2 again via the system restore.

System:
    2.53 Ghz P4, HDD: 105 GB + 80 GB external, 1024 GB RAM
    WinXP home. Mcafee Firewall and virus scan.

I can burn discs and use the programs currently installed, I cannot install the upgrade for Nerovision Exprss 2 (with Recode).

Cheers,
    Frank

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Frank, I see you are playing with the old computer again. Don't you just love these things. When I uninstall programs and want to make sure everything is gone, I use either wilfile or windows explorer and just check the drives to make sure there aren't any files or folders left named after the program I took out. You probably did that. Has to be a Nero file lurking somewhere. I just installed those Nero packages with out a hitch. Thats a strange one you have there. I never get the normal problems either.

Jerry

Last edited: Mar 3, 2004
  3. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya frank,

Hmmm...

Interesting problem.

Some thoughts:

Ahead invariable package their products as SFX executables.

That means the contents of the archive can be expanded and viewed with WinRAR for example.

During installation the window will show the current file being extracted.

When you get an error message, it quite often covers that part of the installation windows that shows the current file: have you tried MOVING the error window out of the way, NOT closing it (not trying to teach you, just checking)?

Or does the error message show up as part of the SFX extraction into a temp directory?

Need to know EXACTLY at what part of the process the error message pops up.

Some feedback please..

There are a few things that we can try subsequent to this.

Waiting eagerly.... ;)

have Fun...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I have all packages of Nero 6 (Ultra Edition 6.0.0.0)

I have never used Recode I must admit , but checked out NeroViosn Express 2 and found it to either crash or take soO0 long...that it just wasn't funny !!
    NVE is a pretty crap encoder to be honest , as heavy encoder users will verify.
    I'm currently using MainConcept MPEG Encoder 1.4 which takes about a third of the time.
    Approx time taken;
    NVE = 7-9hrs
    MainConcept = 2-4hrs

To give my truly honest opinion here I would say that package is not needed...if you have a good/qucik MPEG encoder & perhaps trusty ol' TMPGEnc DVD Author ;-)

I will keep an eye on this thread & try to help tho frank...
    Haven't actually had a look/read to see if there is meant to be any bugs w/ the version of Nero 6 package 2 yet (will do that momentarily mate)

HERB

5. herbsman

P.S. If ever I uninstall Nero I use Control Panel and then when prompted 'completely uninstall ALL Nero components' to which I hit Yes.
    Then I would delete all Ahead/Nero folders from Program Files , then I'd run Norton WinDoc to pull all things into place...reboot PC

All Good !!;)

Oh yeah , install Nero as first burning software (if you are gonna try having 2 different programs installed)

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi guys, and thank you for your responses!

Jerry,

I don't mind computer problems too much, its always a learning experience working through these problems. I'm thinking of a new computer soon, something thats really optimized for DVD-Video work. Two small hard drives maybe? Possibly a pair of Western Digital Raptors, 36Gb, 10,000 RPM.
    I'm still window shopping though.

Dr,

I always look forward to your comments and suggestions and if they are like a lesson that is even better! I have not paid a penny for anything I know about computers.

I will try to follow your suggestions and let you know what I find out.

Herb,

Thanks for the advice, I like the idea of running Norton WinDoc, I don't have it but will look into it.
    BTW where do you find those cool animated things you have in your signature? I'd like to find a little sports bike or something.

Frank

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi,
    Moving the error message out of the way revealed this:

settings.xml 2K

From the time I start the process untill the error appears is less than a second, I can see a list of files flashing by.

BTW I can take screen shots, they are .jpgs in My Documents. Is there a way to show them here?

I tried the method but failed to get my screenshot in.

Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I got it to work!!!
    Used the Nero CleanTool, ran Winguides Registry Mechanic which found and corrected 157 registry errors, and installed both packages.

Funny it worked now, I had tried this before.

Thanks everyone,

Frank

9. drchips

drchips Active member

Good show, dear chap...

Byeeee...

10. herbsman

YAY !!

Everything is working , nice to hear frank :D

Will PM you about [​IMG]