1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero freezes during burning after DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by trs1982, Mar 16, 2005.

1. trs1982

trs1982 Member

Hi this appears to be an intermittent problem. DVD Decrypter extracts my DVDs to the Hard Disk no problem. DVD Shrink compresses and recodes the files no problem. However when it comes to burning using Nero 6.3.1.6 it starts and then the progress bar stops while the disc still seems to be running in the drive.

In this instance it has stopped at 8%. I am using Datawrite 8x media. I have ASPI Layer 4.71 installed and Patin-Couffin layer v1.27 installed. I have NEC ND-3500AG drive. DMA is enabled.

Any advice please?

2. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

This may sound like a silly question, but what media are you using? Reason I ask is because I ran into this problem a while back when I was using crappy Memorex media. Not saying this is your problem, but once I bought some good media, the problem went away. I had originally tried everything and nothing would work. That might be the problem.

3. trs1982

trs1982 Member

I'm using Datawrite classic grey top / white top 8x DVD-R. Like I say it's an intermittent problem. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. At the moment I'm trying to burn by disabling Nero and using an alternative burning software.

4. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

I would try using DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and then burn using DVD Decrypter.
    This is the way I have done it for the longest time. Over 200 burns in the past 8 months with no problems. I've used DVD XCopy, CloneDVD and Nero, but I have never once had a bad burn with DVD Decrypter. Try that and see what happens.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  5. trs1982

trs1982 Member

I may end up trying DVD Depcrypter. I managed to burn using VSO CopyToDVD and it was fine. It seems that Nero just doesn't want to work with other programs. Just an extra step to add to the process I guess, but so long as it provides results as opposed to half-burned, unusable DVDs it's worth it!

6. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Memorex isn't cheap media.Problems such as he's having is a program issue.

7. trs1982

trs1982 Member

I agree. The media I've used has never been an issue. I've always been a little sceptical of Nero, inspite of its reputation. I previously had Roxio CD Creator 4/5, and may get the up to date version of their program to use for my media authoring from now on. Unless anyone has other recommendations?

8. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

Movies27, If you would have read:

and for your programming comment:

I explained that I would try a different proggy.

Check again. You never know what you're going to get when you buy Memorex. My first 50 disk spindle burned great, but with my second, I only got about 10 good burns out of it.

My whole second post was about trying a different program due to it "possibly" being a program issue.

9. movies27

movies27 Regular member

I've burned plenty of 50 packs of dvds from Memorex & I've had only like 1 or 2 coasters so far.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  10. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

To each his own. There are so many different things that can go wrong while burning movies, I was only adding my two cents from my own experience using Memorex. If it works for you, great.
    I, personally, would rather buy a brand of media where I know what I'm getting. Verbatim DataLife Plus are the only discs that will go in my drives.