1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero hanging at 99% burn

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by erikjg63, Sep 18, 2004.

1. erikjg63

erikjg63 Member

First of all, this is a great forum. It's full of good information and I anticipate spending lots of time here in the future. I hope I'm posting this in the right place and I apologize if it's not. I'm using DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero 6.3.1.20. Everything seems to go fine until the very end of the burning stage. Nero simply hangs and never goes past 99%. Is there some setting in Nero that may be causing this or might it be a DVD Shrink issue? I'm fairly experienced with burning CD's, but this is my first venture into DVD's. If it matters, I'm backing up a television series (5 episodes) and I reauthored it to make it fit the DVD+R.

System specs, in case they are relevant: P4, 3.2, 2GB RAM, Sony DRU-530A. Also, I'm using Sony DVD+R, so hopefully it's not a media problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful.

Regards,

Erik

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Erik,

I suggest that you redo your project setting the the size in DVD Shrink down to around to 4260MB.

Open DVD Shrink, then Editthen go to "Preferences," where is says "DVD Target size" I select "Custom" and in the size box I put 4260MB. That allows you a bit of wiggle room on your disc so that you're not writing to the very edge of your disc. NOTE: A 4.7GB disc only holds 4.36GB of data. I like a tiny bit of room when I burn hence, the 4260MB instead of 4360MB.

Thereason I say this is because it sounds like you're trying to write past the edge of the disc.

As far as your media goes it sounds like it's writing OK.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Pete

3. erikjg63

erikjg63 Member

Pete,

Thanks a heap for your help. After following your advice, the burn completed perfectly. The backup plays flawlessly on my PC.....but NOT on my standalone palyer. :-( It won't play at all. It just seems to lock into some pre-load state and sit there forever. I'm going to try -R in hopes that my stand alone simply doesn't like +R. If that fails, I'll be back here for more help. If you can suggest any other possibilities, I'm all ears.

Regards,

Erik

4. erikjg63

erikjg63 Member

UPDATE:

For anyone that may be wondering, switching to -R media solved my problem. Is it common that some stand alone DVD players only recognize one particular class of media? At any rate, the backup is now playing and appears to be working beautifully. Thanks again to ScubaPete.

Erik

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy Doody there erikjg63,

To answer your last question, yes, Older standalones were picky about what they played.

The players of today especially the "el Cheapo" ones at $39.00 to $49.00 (USD) will play anything :p)

Now that you're doing well, that doesn't mean it's time for you to leave - this is a give and take kind of deal - we had fun with you, now you get to have some fun yourself :)

It’s people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and, you see we had fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you can “Welcome” them into our little Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're not having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be looking for you -

Cheers,

Pete