1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero help please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MonkeyGrl, Feb 26, 2005.

1. MonkeyGrl

MonkeyGrl Member

I'm so new im not even sure im doing it right. I bought my sony external dvd burner and havent been able to copy any movies... i get a little further everytime but this time im stuck. I know that you have to decrypt movies when they are copy protected and i do have dvd decrypter but i dont know how to use it.... i have nero suite...which came with the burner but i dont know how to use that really either...its so hard to understand the manual instructions and easier for me if someone explains it to me step by step... the error i keep getting is some sort of allocation error...then it says it cant be burned... i dont know what to do can anyone help?

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember.
    The steps are:
    1)Decrypt/deCSS;
    One could add edit, but that isn't always necessary.
    2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary);
    3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others. I find CopyToDVD to be a good choice as well. DVD Decrypter is a good freeware choice.

The virtual guides at DVD Shrink Info have a lot of pictures and will lead most any beginner through getting started. http://www.dvdshrink.info There is also a virtual guide for using DVD Decrypter there as well. DVD Shrink is a good learning program with lots of forum assistance and guides. It teaches editing as well as simple backups. Once you learn it, the other backup programs will be more intuitive. There is a program named Recode2 in the Nero suite that is another good DVD backup program. The Shrink official website is http://www.dvdshrink.org .

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2005
  3. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Sorry MG but you're going to have to put some time into this.
    The first thing you've got to do is make sure your using good consistant media [DVD discs'] and that you're buying from a genuine supplier.

You may wish to buy some R-Ws' these can be re-used time and again untill you get it right.

So you'll need to spend some time browsing around the media forums...

Spend some time browsing this forum, read some guides by Scuba Pete or bbmayo, spend a lot more time reading about other peoples problems.

Print those guides you was to use, and practice with the R-Ws' untill you feel able to burn alright.

and your off
    happy burning

gringle

4. MonkeyGrl

MonkeyGrl Member

I have nero but i dont know how to use it...your information is very helpful but i think my biggest problem is that i dont understand how the whole process works which makes it hard to burn dvds

5. Gringle

Gringle Guest

You can get all the Nero tutorials from this sitle

http://www.nero.com/en/index.html

There really is no quick answer MG, I found it easier to print off some of the guides I mentioned, and just walk myself through the guides.

All the answers are in here, and as brobear said the interactive shrink guides are very good, get familiar with shink with them, print of one of Petes or bbmayos guides open shink and go for it.
    but spend some time getting familiar with this place, and make shure you've good media.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
  6. djlen

djlen Regular member

From my point of view there is a quick and easy answer. Two weeks ago, I knew nothing about backing up DVDs. I have backed up a couple of dozen just by following instructions that are easy to understand and very clear.
    Go to bbmayo's site, here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html
    On it you will find easy to read and understand instructions on how the process works, especially for using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink(both free applications and very good)from bbmayo and I found Scuba Pete's instructions the easiest.
    Download the two applications and try them using Pete's instructions (to the letter) and you should have no problems. You'll feel like he's taking you by the hand.....it's that easy.
    I personally find Nero more complicated and unnecessary with the above mentioned apps.

Len

7. MonkeyGrl

MonkeyGrl Member

Thank you very much for all of your help... i will try what you said. Hopefully it works. Thanks again!

8. marychat

marychat Member

so newbie here, Do I have to have a dvd burner to copy my dvd's I have all the nero's

9. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Yes marychat a DVD burner is required to burn DVDs' like- wise a CD burner for CDs'.

Although in most case's the former will do the latter, the latter will never do the former.

regards gringle

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

May I just add the easiest and most effective way to back up a DVD if you are willing to buy the programs is AnyDVD and CloneDVD2.. You can get both of those proggys at SlySofts website and try them out for 21 days for free to try if you don't believe me just give them a try it can't hurt, and you will be amazed. There is also a guide on those two programs at my sight (in my Signature)

11. MonkeyGrl

MonkeyGrl Member

yea im on the free trials of them right now and am finding it way easy....im loving it... thanks for the input!

12. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I will agree with the cheapest, but the easiest?? No way have you even tried CloneDVD and AnyDVD which by the way is also much faster..

14. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Easiest to mess about & re-author until you hearts content I meant [cut/crop start & end credits , shrink but retain the menu ... etc etc]

And , no I never have tried CloneDVD [seeing as I understand DVD structures why would I go for a so called '1 click wonder' - lol]

Never needed AnyDVD either ; )

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, I consider AnyDVD an essential app now, if one is going to backup movies. I'll add to that essential list DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, both of which are free. I included Shrink for it's ability to correct structural problems caused by the newer structural encryption systems.

Ripping with Decrypter can get the job done along with some editing with Shrink. But adding AnyDVD into the mix, I haven't had to do any file editing, even with the most problematic DVDs currently on the market. AnyDVD with DVD Shrink set to No Compression can rip and correct structural errors at the same time. Then one can use Shrink or the apps of choice to complete the back up. My tools of choice are DVDCopy3 or RB/CCE depending on the compression levels.

For the novice CloneDVD2 with the AnyDVD does a good job and the results are good quality except on the bigger blockbusters where the compression is high. CloneDVD2 is among some of the apps that have improved over the past year. So, even for those that have tried it before, CloneDVD2 is worth revisiting if you want a simple app that does a good job under most circumstances.

MonkeyGrl
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php The link supplied by herbsman is the easiest I've seen for the beginner. Plenty of pictures to lead you through the process.

As far as the process involved. What about the process, as I described it don't you understand? There are only 3 steps to the process, rip, transcode and burn.

And as was pointed out; if you don't want to learn the steps, AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 are available from Slysoft. http://www.slysoft.com . The DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are free as well as being excellent utilities. I consider AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink to be essential programs. Also, Shrink is a good program to learn to edit with and learn DVD structure

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2005
  16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah exactly what he said ^^^^^^^
    See BroBear I can agree with you most of the time :)

By the way people you can also re-author with CloneDVD2... Not as much as Shrink, but you can remove unwanted extras and such. I agree Shrink will do more in the way of reauthoring, but we were talking about easy and ClonedDVD + AnyDVD is by far the easiest for the novice.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  17. hursty

hursty Active member

@bbmayo

anydvd (4.5.7.2) has the option to remove advertisements etc,do you know if this refers to the extras also?

i have not yet tried i yet

with regards hursty

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah you can remove everything. I have a guide at my website (in my signature) check it out and give it a try you will enjoy.. :)

19. brobear

brobear Guest

I agree with BBmayo... LOL Go BB.

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

And I with you Brobear ;-)

Always!!! LOL