1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero recode2 problems after latest update .

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by dlc2000, Jan 12, 2005.

1. TDY

TDY Member

All my Nero products are up to date except for "Package 2, 3.1.0.0. I am running 3.0.1.27 which dose work even the recode2 program.My apologies again to you...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

We'll just have to wait for Craig then -

3. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hellow Everyone,

Sorry for taking so long to drop in. ScubaPete asked me to drop by some time ago, but I've been on the Road, and will continue to be on the Road till March 21st.

But I'll drop in as often as I can.

Hi Dbminter,

We have been receiving reports of customers not being able to import content from Video_TS folders on DVD's and from the Hard Drive when using the 'Remake a DVD' option in Nero Recode. But when they use 'Copy Entire DVD to DVD' or 'Recode DVDs and Videos to Nero Digital' options with these same Video_TS folders they are able to import without problem.

I personally have never been able to duplicate this from my US office, but I generated a bug report on this issue and our QA in Germany was able to duplicate this on one system. So we are currently looking into this. Hopefully our Engineers will be able to find the cause from this one system we've been able to duplicate this issue on, and find a solution.

Hi TDY,

If most of your postings have been edited here, so I am not able to properly follow the issues you are having.

If you could provide details as to what you are running into, I'll do my best to assist you. I need to know what 'exact' error messages you are getting, what 'exact' steps you are using that generates these errors, a copy of the NVE log file.

P.S. NVE always creates a log file, even if it closes or hangs upon adding content. You can find the log file at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision\NeroVisionLog.txt

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

4. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Hi!

There are also some cases of the Recode installed with NVE 3.1.0.0 not running at all. Either it crashes when any of the main menu options are selected (We are sorry, but, Recode has experienced a problem and must be closed standard canned Windows dialog.) or when the actual recoding is to start, and the app just closes. And, I've not been able to get any info if it happened on later versions, but, on earlier Recode installed with NVE 3.0.1.4, NBR 6.6.0.8 appears to make Recode think all images, when you write to an image file, are DVD-R DL's. There's a line half way through the creation about burning the 2nd layer and when these images are burned to disc and decrypted back with DVD Decrypter, Packet Header errors appear about half way through the decryption.

5. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi DBminter,

I just read about this issue with Recode closing on any selected options in another thread on this forum. This was the first I had been aware of this issue. I've not seen this in any of my testing in the past month. If I could get information about the system that this occurs on, and what source files are being used and how they were created that would help in my being able to duplicate this issue.
    Our QA here in Germany are just now begining to qualify our next release of NVE and Nero Recode, so I'll be sure to watch their testing closely. But I'll need some information about the systems this process fails on so that I can ensure we do our best to try and duplicate the issue. What type of source files, and how they were created would be helful. And system information and programs installed on the system would help as well.

As for your second issue with all images being seen as DL Images in Recode, I'll have to test this. I do think I saw a bug report on Recode having trouble with 'Mounted' NRG and ISO images, not sure if this is related.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

6. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I'll see what I can get over on the DVD Decrypter forum about the other system specs. That problem was fixed by uninstalling all Nero apps, deleting the Ahead folder and the Common Files folder, deleting two specific registry keys, restarting, and reinstalling. However, it didn't work in all cases.

As for the source files in use when Recode crashes at the main menu, no discs were inserted and no images were mounted. It appears to be something that happens at execution time when a menu item is selected. As for the mounted images, I have seen instances of those. DVD Decrypter images, don't know about NRG, mounted in Alcohol did not return any Titles for any of the Recode or Remake options for Recode after NVE 3.0.1.4's release. The last revision before 3.1.0.0's version had no problems with the two Recode DVD options, but, Remake still didn't detect any Titles for mounted virtual drives.

I've still been meaning to sit down, gather some more concrete data from other sources, and preparing a "test" case, with specific data to forward on what the mounted image is, etc. Test mounted images vs. physical discs, etc. But, life keeps us all busy in different ways. :)

7. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Oh, also, the Recode crashing on the main menu seems to be started by something installed by NVE 3.1.0.0 exclusively. For instance, with NVE 3.0.1.4 installed, the version of Recode that is installed by NVE 3.1.0.0 CAN run if you copy the Recode directory from an install of NVE 3.1.0.0. BUT, if you install 3.1.0.0 and attempt to use Recode that it installs itself, i.e. not a copy of the Recode directory from a previous install, Recode crashes at the main menu. Plus, any attempts to uninstall NVE and reinstall NVE older versions, Recode will also crash until you get to a specific version, haven't determined which yet, that won't let you install it until you reboot the PC. The installer specifically tells you it cannot install until the reboot for the previous uninstall completes. Even rebooting after uninstalls and rebooting after installs of the older versions does not work. ONLY when NVE's install says to reboot to complete the previous NVE uninstall will it work. Then, you can install any NVE version starting at 3.0.1.4 and any before 3.1.0.0 and Recode won't crash. (The mounted image problem is still there, but, not crash from the main menu.) Plus, you can use any Recode directory copied from any version and have it running, for instance, 2.2.6.11, installed by NVE 3.1.0.0, can run if the Recode directory is copied from an NVE 3.1.0.0 install and Recode will run on, say, an NVE install of 3.0.1.4.

While not a certainty, of course, NVE 3.1.0.0's install seems to be the immediate culprit because of how any NVE before 3.1.0.0, Recode will work, whether installed by NVE itself or copied from any other NVE install, including 3.1.0.0 as long as NVE 3.1.0.0 itself is not installed.

8. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

As for the DVD-R DL engine thing I mentioned, have some more concrete info.

Whenever NBR 6.6.0.8 is installed, which added DVD-R DL support so it lead me to wonder if this was the case, Recode behaves a little differently, going as far back to at least the Recode installed with NVE 3.0.1.4. What happens is Recode is burning an image to hard disc that is smaller than a DVD-5. It does this on both DVD-5 and DVD-9 discs. By discs, these are image files decrypted by DVD Decrypter and mounted as virtual drives in Alcohol. Not tested with physical discs yet because they'll be slower.

What Recode says when it's creating the image file:
    Event
    Burn Process Started
    Compiling DVD volume started
    Then at about 47% on average, the Event says
    Burning Layer 2
    even though this image is less than 4 GB. Plus, at the point when the Event changes to Burning Layer 2, the Progress bar color changes. It turns from green rectangles to yellow rectangles. Now, I don't know this for sure, but, is this an indication that Recode thinks it is burning a 2nd layer at around 50%? Is the progress bar supposed to change color from green to yellow when Recode is Burning Layer 2? Especially since this does this on DVD-5 source images, too, I have wondered if this was the case. Images created by Recode with 6.6.0.8 when burned to a disc, or mounted as a virtual drive, are normal as far as I can see, except for 1 thing. I don't know if it means anything, but, at about 50% into a File or Image decrypt by DVD Decrypter, the decrypt returns multiple Packet Not Found lines, and all the same addresses. Admittedly, my knowledge of the DVD structure is limited, so, I don't know if these Packet Not Founds mean anything significant because as far as I can tell otherwise the discs play fine. So, perhaps calling this an "error" may be a bit premature. But, it's definitely doing something different than it was before because of the Burning Layer 2 and the Packet Header Not Found part.

No log yet, but, I'm working on trying to get one.

9. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Dbminter,

In regards to Nero Recode crash, I set up a few XP systems to test on.

2 clean systems
    and
    1 with Anti-Virus, Spam-Blocker, MS Office, AnyDVD, DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink, etc...

And in each case I installed the Web download of NVE3014 and made sure all was working, and then install directly over this build the NVE3100, but in all cases I am unable to duplicate this issue.

Can you think of any program that may be installed on your system that may have an impact on our programs? Or even any drivers?

And I just had a thought. You state this occurs as soon as you click on any option in Nero Recode, even without a disc in the recorder. What happens, if your under XP, if you insert a non-protected DVD Movie, and when the XP AutoPlay window comes up select the option for 'Recode DVD-Video using Nero Recode' or 'Convert DVD-Video's to Nero Digtial'. Will this launch Nero Recode, and get you past the point where it crashes?

Just curious if the issue is only contained in the main Recode window.

But otherwise, there is a piece of the puzzle that I am missing, as a simple install over an older version does not appear to be the problem. Something else is missing, some other catalyst.

Regards,

Craig

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  10. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Couldn't say because I have tested this on a virgin install of Windows XP Home SP1 2002 Version that came with the PC. The image disc only installs Windows XP, no extra software, as that all the extra stuff is on a different CD for reinstall purposes. And, the crash still occurred.

Haven't tried the AutoPlay thing yet.

As for the Burning Layer 2 thing, I've seen it only happens when the target image reaches X size. I've been testing to see what size it is, but, so far, it appears to be more than 100 MB but under 800.

11. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Oh, forgot. :) I disabled the Autoplay/Insert options. So, they aren't there in the AutoPlay options.

12. Missy55

Missy55 Member

Like dbminter, I also having the problem with nero closing down when open it after installation of NVE 3.1.0.0. I used nero tools to uninstall nero from my computer and then install nero again. I also rebooted my computer after uninstalling and installing like pete said but I still getting the message
    I also tried the direct install over the older version and the auto play but that didn't help either. The program work fine once I switch back to the old NEV 3.0.1.2.7

13. tejab

tejab Guest

hi all

if u just enter a nero digital serial number in nero , it solves the problem of recode crashing when u click on any of the menu items , also the last 2 nero digital options comes back. hope it helps . worked for me.
    this is what i did . uninstalled all nero products with clean tool etc etc and then installed package 2 . enter ur nero ultra edition serial number , exit , open nerovision express , go to help , enter new serial number and enter ur NERO DIGITAL serial number . if u dont have it google is ur friend.
    have fun.replyif u dont find that serial , i will send it along

14. TDY

TDY Member

ccampbell; the problems I am running into on the new NVE3 is on the recode2 program.It will not detect the "video_ts" folder files.The error I get is this when I click ok when promt."Nero Recode2 encountered an error and can not continue.An error occurred while opening DVD files useing windows file system.There are no more files." Now I have rolled back to NVE3 ver.3.0.1.27 with version 2.2.6.9 on Recode2 which works like it suppose to do.I have done a complete unistall of all my Nero products ,I also used your clean tools and reg cleaner and the incd clean tool, then reinstall all programs and still that program of the latest Recode 2 will not detect the files, yet the older versions do.There was no log files that I can find on this error,there is just none created.Now I am haveing problems with Package 1 of Nero burning rom.I keep getting errors when I run a dvd disc that I just created with it.So I have rolled that back to 6.6.0.6 and now it works properly on my machine.So thats whats going on with me.I just wished you guys at Nero could have a link so owners of Nero Ultima can go back to earlier versions when problems come up,because the email I got back from Nero is that you don't.Be nice if you did.. Thanks

15. cdadar

cdadar Member

Also like dbminter, I have the problem with Nero closing down when open it after installation of NVE 3.1.0.0.
    Just to help, this is the error report:
    AppName: recode.exe AppVer: 2.2.6.11 ModName: nendgui.dll
    ModVer: 3.0.0.5 Offset: 00035769

Hope it helps!
    Chris

16. Missy55

Missy55 Member

tejab, It wouldn't let me open Nerovision express. When I tried it gave me the shut down message. I couldn't go to the recode menue or the vision express menu at all after installed the new version.

17. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Added some more results at the end list that narrow down when it seems to occur.

I'm still working on isolating when the Layer 2 appears in older Recodes pre NVE 3.1.0.0 after NBR 6.6.0.8 is installed. But, here is what I have so far. It appears to be regardless of source, either disc or image, or if it's DVD-5 or DVD-9, but, I haven't isolated that with direct testing yet.

Key

Total final size of Recode's image
    960 MB
    Recode has the Burning 2nd Layer in its display

958 MB = Burning 2nd Layer
    956 MB = Fails to even finish. Fails during Compiling DVD. I need to check the logs when I've isolated exactly when the size matters.
    957.0 = Fail, where .0 means exactly when the size turns to 957
    957.2 = Burning 2nd Layer, where .2 means the 2nd "tick" of compression after the size changes to 957 MB
    957.1 = Completes but does NOT say Burning 2nd Layer

-----------------------------------------------

920 MB = Completes, but does NOT say Burning 2nd Layer
    925 = Completes, no Burning 2nd Layer
    930 = Completes, no Burning 2nd Layer
    931 = Completes, no Burning 2nd Layer
    931.1 = Completes, no Burning 2nd Layer
    932 = Completes, no Burning 2nd Layer
    932.1 = Fails to finish, fails during Compiling DVD
    933 = Fails
    934 = Fails
    935 = Fails
    945 = Fail
    950 = Fail
    955 = Fail
    956 = Fail
    957.0 = Fail
    957.1 = Burning 2nd Layer
    957.2 = Burning 2nd Layer
    958 = Burning 2nd Layer
    960 = Burning 2nd Layer

So, it appears that anything below 932 MB, Recode writes it as a single layer image file, as it should. Starting at just a little over 932 MB through to 957 MB exactly, Recode just fails, for a reason I hope to get the log for later. Then, at some point around just a little over 957 MB as the target size for images, Recode thinks single layer target sizes are dual layer DVD-R sizes. I'm guessing DVD-R because of the introduction of the DVD-R DL engine in NBR 6.6.0.8, and 6.6.0.6 did not cause this in Recode.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  18. SRT4me

SRT4me Member

I'm having the same problem as Missy55 after the update. After my recode wasn't able to copy a couple of differnt DVDs (Bourne Identity and Anchorman), I thought I'd check for an update. Maybe I shouldn't have. Now when I open my Recode and click on one of the three options on the opening page, I get the same exact error message as Missy55. Everything else in the Nero 6 Ultra Edition opens fine. Too bad Recode is the only one I use.

19. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Something is definitely wrong with Recode's images when running alongside Nero 6.6.0.8. The disc burned with the image it just made cannot be read back in by Recode to process. It never gets beyond 0% analysing before it bombs due to a Nero dialog that says it cannot continue processing. Out of memory. Plus, it's Time remaining field during Analysing keeps climbing, starting at around 36,000 minutes!

Also discovered that the 50% mark when it turns over to Burning Layer 2 is not a constant. For this test image, which was about 1,160 MB, Burning Layer 2 did not appear until about 86% into the processing.

20. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Just went by nero.com and there is a newer, apparently, version of the 6.6.0.8 installer. It appears to have the same date as 6.6.0.8, but, it's file name and version # is different: 6.6.0.8a

Well, not sure what this is. :) When the 6.6.0.8 install .EXE is compared to the 6.6.0.8a .EXE, the files are different sizes, but, when installed, NBR still says it's 6.6.0.8. There's no change log for 6.6.0.8a yet.

Whatever it is, didn't help with the Recode thinking single layer images were dual or fixing Remake A DVD. ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005