1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero seems to burn okay, will play on computers dvd but not a regular dvd player

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by kwikrnu, Mar 7, 2007.

1. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Member

I have nero 7.7.5.1 and dvd shrink 3.2 memorex dvds and an hp 740 dvd writer connected with a usb cable.

Nero always seems to work copying the files, but most times the dvds will not play on the regular dvd players I have in the house. They will play on the dvd player in my computer though.

Everything is set up as default and I just let dvd shrink figure the compression and speed.

Any ideas why they won't play on at least one of the several dvds I have in the house?

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

Memorex media is often actually manufactured by CMC Magnetics, one of the low cost media manufacturers. Quality suffers.

Here are some general rules:
    1. Use high quality media like Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. Included in this category is media from Sony and Fuji labeled as Made in Japan since it will likely be of Taiyo Yuden origin.
    2. Limit your burn speed to half or less the rated speed of the media; e.g., burn 16X media no faster than 8X. In the case of crappy media you may need to burn even slower. Since you're using an external burner, I'd burn no faster than 4X. Don't let the software decide.
    3. Keep your burner's firmware up to date. Firmware is available at the HP support site.
    4. Don't multitask while burning. In other words close down all user programs unnecessary for the burn.

If you want, you can post on of the sections of your Nero history log to this thread and we'll take a look at it to see if something else may be amiss. The log will be in this path:

Program Files > Nero > Nero7 > Core > NeroHistory

Each section begins with a header followed by your name and program serial number and continues until the next header. Be sure to delete your name and serial number from your log posting.

3. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Member

Thank you for the advice. I'll try that and post what I find out.

4. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Member

I think my problem was old dvd players. The backup dvds played fine at my sisters house on her new dvd player. So, I bought a new $100 dvd player/recorder last night at walmart and they play just fine. Thanks for the help.

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You're welcome.

Don't use Memorex media though.

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

You might be having one of the dreaded Book Type setting issues which seems to pop up when older DVD players are concerned. If the burned DVDs are being set to DVD-ROM, it might be something else.

Look at your NeroHistory log for those burns and see if anything mentions Book Type being set to DVD-ROM. Or you could check the DVD in Nero and see if it was set to DVD-ROM as a book type.