1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Software Piracy

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by drp215, Aug 25, 2004.

1. drp215

drp215 Member

I just bought the Nero package from eBay here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3693268016&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

However, after I'd paid for the item, I was asked to download all the software "updates" from the Nero site and was provided with a serial number to use. This doesn't sound right to me; especially as the item description doesn't mention this "minor" detail. Is there any way that I can be sure I've just purchased a genuine product or is someone out there using a key generator and selling the generated keys for £20 a time?

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Sorry, but that is a pirated serial key. We do not allow anyone to sell our serial keys. If a serial key is not purchased from off the Nero website, then it's a pirated serial key. It might work for a month, but by next month it will cease to function if you upgrade.

Regards,

Craig

3. drp215

drp215 Member

Does this mean that Ahead software (or any other authorised party) don't provide re-sale rights to the software to anyone? Is it not possible that this seller has genuine re-sale rights? If I've definitely bought a non-genuine version that I'll notify eBay and try and get a refund ...

Thanks

David

4. actech

actech Regular member

i would contact nero. there is a statement at the bottom claiming resale rights to the product. nero can verify if its true and probally give ideas as to what to do next.

5. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

We allow certain OEMs to sell OEM bundles in the US, but they must come shipped with a recorder, and an OEM installation CD.

In European countries, it's legal to sell OEM software without a recorder, but they should still provide the OEM installation CD. (Unless they are trying to get out of the cost of shipping. :) )

For Retail, we only allow the Full Retail box to be sold by third parties. There are no instances of Ahead allowing anyone to sell only a Retail Serial key.

Now, it's always possible someone purchased a retail box legally, and then wished to recoupe on their purchase and are offering to sell their Retail Serial key. Not exactly legal and not indorced by Ahead Software in any way of course. But as long as they never registered their serial key then its possible no one from Ahead Software would ever find out, and the serial key would be valid for all intent and purposes.

But as soon as more than one person registers the serial key, that serial key will become blacklisted and marked as pirated in the next upgrade to Nero 6.

Regards,

Craig

6. drp215

drp215 Member

Thanks for the information Craig. I will pursue this accordingly.

David