1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Used Read Buffer Drops To Zero %

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MuziqMan, Jun 17, 2003.

1. MuziqMan

MuziqMan Member

Hello all. This is my first post so be gentle if I sound stupid with this question. I burn A LOT of music CDs "On The Fly" with my computer! Lately, towards the last few tracks of a burn using Nero 5.5.10.28, the Used Read Buffer goes from 100% and slowly goes down to zero and then starts to slowly go back up. When I play the CD back, I hear an occasional pop and skip on the tracks that was being burned when the buffer dipped down to zero. These errors seems to always be only on the last few tracks of the CD. I can open a brand new music CD and burn it and still get these results. For months before this started happening, the Used Read Buffer always stayed at 100% during a burn. I've burned hundreds of CDs at 32X with zero errors! I tried burning at 12X and the same thing happens! When I burn the same CDs on my laptop, I have no problems! I've had this puter since Last December and it ALWAYS burned perfect CDs until recently. I have a Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz processor. I have 512 Meg of RAM. I use a Liteon DVD rom as the source drive and I use a TDK CDRW 5200B 52X. I always used Memorex CDR. I un-installed and re-installed Nero. I just bought another TDK burner this morning thinking that that might be the problem and I still have the same symptoms! I don't know what to do. Should I change the Ultrabuffer (it's set for 71 MB)? Should I replace the Liteon reader? Has anyone heard of this problem? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Joe.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Maybe the drive you use for extraction is worn out a bit. Have you tried replacing this one by the new TDK burner?

To get perfect copies for sure in future you might want to consider using Exact Audio Copy in secure mode or burst mode test & copy - but beware: it'll be slower and a bit more work.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  3. minix

minix Member

Enable jitter correction in Nero for you DVD ROM. Maybe that helps to avoid those skips in the CD.
    The problem is the reader, not the burner.

Anyway, I wouldn't burn on the fly.

4. MuziqMan

MuziqMan Member

Thanks for the advise guys. I am gonna try them all. I will keep you guys posted. Muziq.