1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero v6 and my new computer dual-core

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by scratch45, Feb 13, 2007.

1. scratch45

scratch45 Guest

i bought a dual-core amd 3800 and it came with vista operating system and one gig of ram. I loaded nero and started a transcode from avi to dvd (dont remember format) and i was exspecting like maybe double the speed of my single core laptop amd 3400 with xp home with one gig of memory and to my surprise the dual-core was twice as slow. hmmmm what gives?? I did a control alt delete and checked my cpu usage and it was at a 100percent with the new system. Anyone with any input on this???

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

When you checked task manager, did you have it set to show each core separately or a total?

Is there a bios setting for turning on both cores?

As far as Nero 6, I would not think it was written to take advantage of dual core systems, but I don't know. Do you show an increased capacity to multitask while encoding?

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I'm surprised that Nero 6 is even working with Vi$ta.

4. scratch45

scratch45 Guest

i dont remember it just showed cpu usage 100% but i will check again tomorrow when i hook it back up. I bought it to take the place of a older computer in the house thats used for a file server more or less and had hooked up the new computer temparily in my office just to check it out. started reading about vista and everyone really has nothing good to say about. I will post back tomorrow night.

5. scratch45

scratch45 Guest

tried again tonight and its only using one core at a time. I can run two programs encoding at the same time with out slowing it down. maybe nero hasnt wrote code for dual core yet?

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Nero 6, as far as I know isn't being updated for newer technology. As far as Nero 7 being written for Dual Core, I don't know, but you could check and let us know.

7. zapatero

zapatero Member

Today I created a DVD from an WMV file (converted from a FLV file downloaded from Google Video), using Nero 7.5.9.0a. I checked CPU utilization during the process and it showed 100% on both cores (Pentium D).

8. scratch45

scratch45 Guest

hmmm, how do you check both cores? when I pull up task manager it just shows cpu usage, it doesnt say core1 or core2. I encoded a 700 meg avi to dvd and burned it to a blank dvd total time 1:25 minutes so I am curious what other users total times are in comparison. system used dual-core amd 3800 with 1gig memory with vista.

9. zapatero

zapatero Member

In Task Manager > "Performance" (translated) there are two windows that show CPU usage, one per core. This happens when the appropriate option is selected in View > "CPU history" (translated).
    I encoded a 340 MB WMV file to DVD and burned the disc (4X) in about 15 minutes. Pentium D 820 (2.8 GHz),1 GB memory, Windows XP SP2.

10. scratch45

scratch45 Guest

thats fast! I am going to have to check out the nero 7 I quess. I will check out your info under task manager also thanks.

11. zapatero

zapatero Member

About Task Manager: if you donĀ“t see the complete Window with the menu bar, double click on the gray outer zone. This will restore the complete window with the menu bar.