1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero video capture

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by hamillp, May 27, 2007.

1. hamillp

hamillp Regular member

I have been using a canon camcorder for several years now and use Nero 6 to capture the video. Lately, I notice that when I capture the video it only takes up about 3GB of space. The video is usually 1 hour mini dv tapes.

Several questions. First, I assume that it is not capturing the video in avi otherwise it would be a much bigger file. So is there a setting that I can change to tell Nero how to capture the video as an .avi?

Two, is that the best format to capture the video in?

Three, if I am using an 80GB harddrive with 45GB free, would I even have enough room to capture an hour of video as .avi?

Four, does Nero look at that to determine what type of format to capture the video in?

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

On the bottom of the nero screen should be more options. Select more then video options and there you can change it from wmv to avi.

3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Just to clarify: AVIS is not a video format, but just a container definition. An AVI file can contain video compressed with all kinds of different codecs and depending on which codec is used and what compression ratio you will get better of worse results.
    Wnat you should do at all times when capturing from miniDV tape (assuming that you are using Firewire connection) is use DV-AVI. This will result in transfer without loosing any quality at all. Nero should be able to do that, but you can use any video capture program to do that, inclusing freeware programs like WinDV etc. It will make no difference at all in quality.
    BTW: DV-AVI is around 13GB for one hour.