1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Vision Express Transcoding Help ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Soldier_I, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Soldier_I

Soldier_I Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to burn .avi (xvid/divx etc) files to DVD+R using Nero Vision Express 3 - this is a trial version but say's nothing of the Transcoding plugin being missing for NVE3, so i'm assuming it should work. NVE3 will burn .MPEG files to DVD+R and work perfectly in my home dvd player. I have made several using this method with no problem and it usually takes approximately 90mins per 2 Gig.

I do the same thing in NVE3 except i add a 697MG .avi file. NVE3 does its thing and then the volume line at the bottom tells me that its now going to take up 3.5 Gig. All ok so far so i carry on as normal with no menu and auto chapters etc and click Burn...

Now it seems to be okay when its starts its Transcoding process, the HDD activity light is flashing like mad and the timers on NVE3 are ticking away and the progress bar starts filling up - but after about 15 minutes everything seems to stop and for no apparent reason, so i leave it for an hour or so and when i come back the remaining timers and the progress bar on NVE3 are the same as they were over an hour ago and the HDD light is only flashing intermmitantly. The windows task manager states that NVE3 status is Running... its like its just stopped!! or has it???

So i Aborted the operation, then i get an error report and windows now tells me that NVE3 is not responding. I tried again several times and get the same result.

Are these symptoms normal?
    How long does it normally take to Transcode .avi - DVD?

Should i wait longer, if so how long?

Or different method, maybe?

Specs:
    2.8Ghz P4 / Windows XP Home SP2
    1024MB RDRam
    Philips DVD+R/RW DW28 writer
    Nvidia Geforce 4600Ti 128MB
    Creative Sound
    Nero 6600+

Many thanks,

Regards,

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Are you trying to create a single dvd from a single 697 mb avi file? I guess it's possible for that to require transcoding to 3.5 gb. Based on my first experience with NVE 3 just this morning, that could take 4 hours to transcode.

What is [bold]not[/bold] right is for the timers and progress bar to stop on you.

My guess is that there is something about that particular avi file that is causing NVE 3 to hang while transcoding it. If you were me, you'd try to run it through some other kind of converter, and then use NVE 3 on the converted file. For example, maybe you could load it into virtualdubmod, and save it back out as an mpeg2 file? Or convert it to divx, or something.

3. Soldier_I

Soldier_I Member

Thanks,

Yes i am trying to create a single DVD from a single 697MB avi file and it does come up as 3.5G. Is Nero better at converting a particular type of avi? e.g : xvid/divx ??

I'll try converting different avi file first and if no joy i'll try another program to convert... any ideas on a good one and where i can find it???

It would just be nice to be able to use one program for a change instead of having to use several different applications to do one thing! lol

Many Thanks...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

this program will convert your avi's to vobs,and then burn them on a dvd for you, all with just this one program.
    I just started using this program and it seems to work great,and very easy to use,and its free too.... vso divxtodvd :http://www.vso-software.fr/

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  5. Soldier_I

Soldier_I Member

Thanks alot, Jim!

I'll give it a go.
    What O/S are you running? I ask because i've always used 'VSO CopytoDvd' and its worked like a charm for years.... until i installed 'XP SP2' since installing SP2 CopytoDvd has not worked - I'll burn the files as normal... everything seems great.... then just as it finishes burning, i get a Windows Error Report (Problem with Copytodvd). The process finishes nom problem and tells me that Your cd is ready! But no devices will be able to read what i've just burnt. This is the same for all formats, DVD+R/RW - CDR/RW and i tried several older versions that i have on my HDD and i get the same result with all of them) , whereas prior to SP2 CopytoDvd ran faultlessly for me for years!
    Just wondering if i'd get the same problem with this software as i'm sure it will use all the same burning parameters that CopyToDvd uses etc... Any ideas???

Many thanks,

Regards,

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi Soldier_I
    Im running windows xp, but I dont have the sp2. Ive been hearing too much, about how bug infested sp2 is, so I installed a blocker, so it cant be downloaded.
    So rather or not, it will work on xp with sp2, I dont have a clue.But since its free it might be worth a try,then you can come back, and post your results, so that others can learn from you.
    This is what makes a good forum,anybody can learn from everybody and vice versa :)
    good luck
    jim

7. Soldier_I

Soldier_I Member

You know it, jim_dandy !

I'll be back....