1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero vs. decrypter ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by don99, Oct 6, 2004.

1. don99

don99 Guest

I resently reinstalled Shrink 3.2 and when it came time to burn the disc, it defaulted to Nero. I usually have it go to DVD Decrypter. It seemed to take the same amount of time burning at 4x and around 5500kbs. What are the opinions here on the two progs. Anyone prefer one over thhe other?
    Thanks
    Don

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there Don,

It doesn't take a Brain Surgon, DVD Decrypter is FREE, Nero costs $50.00(USD)

You want a great proggy, it's Nero

You want to have money for other things, DVD Decrypter -

You could have figured it out if you wanted to take a few minutes -

Cheers,

Pete

3. don99

don99 Guest

Thanks Pete,
    I have been using your version of burning since I have begun backing up my stuff, which has only been a month or so,(Shrink then Decrypter) with 99.999% success. Thanks for the tutorial by the way.. But my new burner, Sony DRX 700UL, external, came with Nero 6 SE. Of course I use it for CD making and such but hadn't tried it for DVD back-ups. Thanks for the heads up though. I will be using it from now on.
    Don

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Don,

Since you have Nero, make sure you download Nero's recode2 - it's just like DVD Shrink, without the ripper BUT it does burn AND it let's you keep your menus (How kweel is that ?).

Like you already know, both burning engines go about the same speed - so NBD -

But you'll be short-changing yourself if you don't play with recode2. IMO, it's the most mis-understood, mis-used proggy around. If you like DVD Shrink, you'll love recode2 -

Burn on my friend, burn on -

Pete

5. oxygen

oxygen Guest

Totally agree with pete, Nero recode2 is fantastic. I mainly use it if DVDShrink is unable to decode or if i want to copy DVD9. In such cases I use Decrypter and then Recode2. Recode2 is also very easy to set up/select what you want to keep to fitt large DVD. amaizingly most of the time it just fits the DVD9 to DVD5 ! I currently copied 189 minutes DVD to DVD5 without any problem.
    Cheers

6. don99

don99 Guest

Pete
    I installed the Recode2 program with the updater that was available but.....
    I'm having a bit of a problem beginning,(with Recode2), since the program won't let me proceed due to copy protection. Do I have something set wrong. I haven't really read the manual yet. Is there a QUICK START maybe you can give me guys. I'm too busy to be involved in another learning curve.
    Thanks for the help though.
    At least I have the latest versions of Nero 6.
    Don

7. oxygen

oxygen Guest

Don,
    Sorry, you have asked Pete so maybe I should not cut in... :))

Use Decrypter to decode copy protection and then use Recode2.
    Cheers

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thank you Oxygen,

Feel free to hope in anytime, I like the company -

(BTW, fine answer)

DVD Decrypter would certainly be my choice as the price is just right :D)

Don,

We have to understand how these companies operate -

321 XCopy got nailed because their program went from startto finish, rip, processed and burn. If a proggy doesn't do it all, it kind of "skirts" around the laws because something else needs to be added. DVD Shrink doesn't have a burner so it can't be nailed as a proggy designed to rip off the copyright pple. Nero has a burner BUT no ripper Ya see how it works ?

So we can use DVD Decrypter (in the "File" "Mode") OR AnyDVD to rip the DVD -

DVD Decrypter is FREE :)

AnyDVD costs $$$$ :(

and there we have it . . . .

Cheers,

Pete

9. forkndave

forkndave Member

DVD43 is also free and will work with Recode 2. It doesn't work with some programs, but it does work with Recode. I know because I used to use it.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Just a note, DVD43 doesn't work on Macro-encryption - the type used by Disney and doesn't work on Sony's new ARccOS copy protection -

AnyDVD and DVD Decrypter does :)

Cheers,

Pete

11. Bretto

Bretto Guest

Yeh just use Anydvd with recode2 that will allow the whole ripping and burning process to be done with nero 6

12. forkndave

forkndave Member

I must have not tried any Disney DVDs when I used DVD43. I didn't have any trouble with what I did use it for. I haven't used it for a while. I've had AnyDVD for quite a while now. I was just looking for something that was free. I guess decrypter would be the best free tool then.

13. don99

don99 Guest

Thanks All,
    I will give this info a try. I'm sure the results will be pleezin'.
    Don

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Dave,

AnyDVD is quite good AND has been updated to cover ARccOS and of course Macro-vision encryption, Good Choice :)

Cheers,

Pete

15. don99

don99 Guest

I had tried the Nero Recode program last night and must say, Brain surgery comes much easier to me.. LOL
    I think I'll stick with Shrink And Decrypter for now. The one back up I did get with nero recode came out like some mutant movie with the tail for a head and the end credits playing in the middle. aughhh..
    Anyway, I got things working pretty good, but would like to know if there is a way to speed up Shrink while Encoding? My last encode was slow at 1903 KB/s
    Thanks Everyone for your input.
    Don

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

don99, recode works almost exactly like shrink, the two could be mirror images of each other. I don't understand how anybody could use one and not the other. Where exactly are you having problems?

You can speed shrink up by not using the quality settings, but what's the point? You want your backup to look as close to the original as possible, thus the new quality settings. It takes much longer but what's 90 minutes or so when you're looking at years of viewing pleasure? ;>)

BTW, I use RB/CCE on longer movies and that takes about 4 hours! Doesn't make shrink seem all that long now, does it. LOL
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004