1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero won't burn dvd -R at 12x on my upgraded Sony 710A

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by DarKnyt, Feb 5, 2005.

1. DarKnyt

DarKnyt Member

Recently I upgraded the firmware on my Sony 710A to to BY02 and updated my included Nero software to the newest version on their site.

But I still can't burn at 12x for -R. Anybody know why? I'm using Sony 8x media, but I've heard most people can burn at 12x anyway. Specifically it's version 2.0 rated for 1-8x. Anybody got any ideas?

Oh - and I think it must be Nero, since when I don't have a disc in, it assumes I will use Dual Layer - and that STILL shows up as 2.4 instead of the 4x upgraded speed.

Thanks for your help!

2. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I have this drive to, the only way Im aware of burning dvd -R disks at 12 times is the media has to branded for that speed. Honestly I've ran disk quality test with Verbatum media +R16X(MCC004). AT speeds 4X,6X,8X,12X,16X. The 12 and 16X did not look good at all got a quality score of 0. 4X threw 8X all got 94 quality score low PO and PI failures. So I've chosen to burn at 8X 8minutes10seconds. I can live with that. 16X was little under 6 minutes. I will not sacrifice speed for quality of burn. This can cause havic on trying to play on standalone player and making disk to disk copys.

Good Luck

Spacedust

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its really not a good idea to burn dvd movies above 4x. The faster you go the more chance of burn errors. Speed kills.. Good luck.

Jerry

4. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

2.4-4x is the fastest you want to burn dvds for quality reasons

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I burn all my dvds at 4x with Ritek media. No quality issues or playback problems on 4 different players. Always use good quality media.

Jerry