1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero writes at 4x

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by montrolla, Nov 11, 2004.

1. montrolla

montrolla Member

i got a pioneer dvr-108 and i'm using 8x dvd-r. i installed nero 6 and everytime it writes to the dvds is at 4x. i check that maximum speed was selected but this didnt work. need help.thx

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What brand/type media are you using?

What firmware version do you have installed?

3. montrolla

montrolla Member

media: prodisc 8x -r
    firmware: 1.10

4. Nephilim

Since yours is out of date my first recommendation would be to update to the latest firmware then go from there :)

5. montrolla

montrolla Member

well, i just updated the firmware to 1.14. now, the problem has been whenever i try to copy a backup i getting errors reading. this didnt happened before, any advice? thanks

6. Nephilim

So it gets errors when trying to read backups correct? What about factory discs?

While I'm by no means an expert with firmwares it seems like there may have been some change that made your drive more sensitive to read errors. If you burned your backups at 8X I wouldn't be surprised to see read errors on them.

Has there been any change with your burn speeds?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  7. montrolla

montrolla Member

burn speed i guess it's ok. i passed by the store to pick up some more blank dvds, and the guy told me that even though they are rated 8x some burners just recognize them like 4x. he even drop the price for the blanks.
    now the read error only started happening after i installed nero. i thought that with the 1.14 will be gone but it didnt.
    should i try reading it at a lower speed?

8. Nephilim

So your burn speeds are where they should be and are not an issue now, yes?

As for the read errors, if you're getting them from a copied disc then the prime suspect would be a subpar burn and/or poor media compatibility. What exact error are you getting when trying to read a copied disc? CRC?

9. montrolla

montrolla Member

what happens is the following:
    i use nero burning rom to make a copy from a copied dvd-r to a dvd-r. once the status bar reaches 100% i can even hear like a hissel sound coming from the burner, it`s like trying to read something. and then i get a failed to read. then i try with dvd-shrink and sometimes i succeed. if dvd-shrink doesnt make it then i try dvd-decrypter. last time none of the 3 were able to read it, althought the media plays.
    it looks like with nero, the arm doesnt reach the edge of the dvd or something. i tried at a lower speed but this didnt change anything.

10. Nephilim

So the read usually boogers up near the end of the disc? What was the target file size that you normally used? Did you burn all the way to the edge of the disc?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  11. montrolla

montrolla Member

i used dvd x copy platinum to burn these dvd-r.

12. Nephilim

Hmmm, I believe by default XCopy will burn to the edge of the disc which can be a bad thing since the edge is where most errors are likely to occur. Many folks, myself included, reduce the target file size to something along the order of 4,300MB to avoid the edge of the disc.

You might run a few of your copies through the Error Scan feature of DVD Info Pro to see what it comes up with.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

For reading the copies I'd suggest using Decrypter and set the read speed to 2X. If that doesn't work you might try setting it to ignore read errors but the results might have some skips.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  13. montrolla

montrolla Member

hey, i really want to thank you for all your help. i'm going to try doing that and i will keep you posted. thanks again.

14. Nephilim

My pleasure :)

Do keep us posted.