1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero6.6 Why so many problems??

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by cuminstd, Jan 22, 2005.

1. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

I would like to know why Nero has so many problems all the Time, I paid for both Nero 5 and Nero 6 and I consider it a pretty good buck to pay. I have upgraded lots of times and e-mailed and they never ever seem to fix anything in it. My first intentions with Nero were to capture a number of my very nice VHS tapes to DVD. I was using NeoDVD and it was doing a very nice job, however, you are limited to 6 chapters only and NeoDVD never fixed that. But, NeoDVD did a relatively good job of capturing and when you want to burn the mpeg2 file it is fairly fast and efficient. It checks the mpeg2 file fast no matter what it was created in and proceeds to burn it. I also have tried Pinnace, MySonic DVD, and others but none worked as well as NeoDVD for results that were fine with me and fast. The bottom line, I still want to be able to create more than six chapters when buring from a mpeg2 file like a 2 hr. VHS tape and not have it take hours on end to do it. So, Nero sits on the background on my computer and I just basically use it to burn a DVD or a image file. In NeroVison Express it always recognized my sound board but sound never occured. So, I had Nero ver 6.1.8 or someting like that and I see on their website they had a huge upgrade to 6.6 Well, I download it and try it. First I go to NeroVision Express which is supposed to be ver 3 now and guess what, great, my sound board now works correctly during a capture. But, as usual, if fails to give me a decent capture without frames being dropped even though I can use NeoDVD at a fairly high resolution and never drop a frame. At least they had a test for captures they never had before so you can see the frame rate and the resolution you wish to choose. - Ok, so forget that, I go to NeoDVD and capture a VHS movie. I start NeroVision Express 3 because I want to add more than six chapters, no problem. Now final stage, same crap. I go to make the DVD movie and get these steps as usual which is number1 Actions Preparing Data for Recording, ok fast enough. Step 2. Same old crap, it wants to completely transcode the entire mpeg file which is over 6 hrs. to do. Why can't they fix this?? Why can't it already accept a properly generated mpeg2 file that has already been captured and is ready for burning. To me, this is ridiculous, nobody wants to wait six or seven hours for this transcoding to occur. That being said, I can't understand why Nero always is getting these high reviews all over the place and they can't solve simple problems like sound card recognition of taking hours to check a mpeg2 file and especially to force a transcode re-encode on a file that is already done.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you added chapters, or anything else, after the capture, that is why it is re-encoding. Supposedly, it is supposed to have smart render, where it only re-encodes the changes that you made, but it seems that in your case, it is doing the entire video.

3. risky4me

risky4me Guest

Since I have the same problem with MovieFactory 3 (came with WinTV 2000), I was considering trying Nero to see if it was faster than MF3 (right now I've been waiting about 5 hrs for MF3 to finish re-coding my files and burn them). Maybe I should be trying NeoDVD instead. I'm also not very happy with the "DVD quality" of the MF3 burns. The capture is fine (when played back on my computer) but the disc quality is definely poorer than the original.

How is the burn quality with NeoDVD?

4. imawag

imawag Guest

Never had any problem with Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 and did have audio synch problems with Nero - which does re-encode.

With Movie Factory try ticking the box "Do not convert compliant MPEG files" under the Project Settings (cog like icon - bottom left hand)in the Add Media window and see if that helps.

Make sure you use quality DVD Media supported by your burner.

5. albertd25

albertd25 Member

If you can afford Adobe Encore DVD and import there captured mpeg2 assets at 720/576 Pal or 720/480 NTSC than you can create up to 99 chapters and no transcoding at all.Al you have to do is create a Menu, chapters if you want and than build the project on disc,imagedvd or DVD folder addind css (copy protections) if you want to or not. Also tried Nero and worked fine with editings,titles,SF,and finished the DVD successfully even in the preview stage it will close suddenly (good luck the project was saved). The Trans code process didnt take so much time, lets say in ~90min DVD compilation of separated songs with SF and titles in every song it takes something like ~20min.