1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero6, Pinnacle 8 or whatelse? VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by mkm, Feb 28, 2004.

1. mkm

mkm Member

I only want to transfer about 30 VHS tapes to DVD.

I use Nero6 for DVD backup now.

I have an ATI All-in Wonder VE card, Pinnacle 8 came with the card. I also have sonic record now version 6 that came on my Dell.

What of any of these will do what limited transfering I want to do?

What would be the process to get VHS to DVD?

Thanks,

Mark

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I would suggest you download the Capture software that is supposed to come with your card which is the "ATI Multimedia Center", You can get it for free from the ATI Web Site...This software will allow you to capture directly to the Mpeg2/DVD format that is needed for Creating DVD"s..If the Software doesn"t work for your Software because it is a "Value Edition" card then I would suggest something like "InterVideo WinDVR 3.0" to capture to Mpeg2 for DVD...You can also use Studio 8 to capture to an AVI format and then use a standalone encoder Like Tmpgenc to Encode the Captured AVI file to Mpeg2 for DVD...After you have your DVD Compliant Mpeg2 file Captured or encoded from a captured AVI file you will Need a DVD authoring Program so you can add the Chapters and Menu"s to the Movie and author it to a DVD...One very easy program for doing this is called "Tmpgenc DVD Author" you can download a 30 day demo of the program from the Software section of this site...well good Luck...Cheers

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

First, you have to capture the video in .avi or mpeg-2 format. Then you edit in Pinnacle Studio 8 adding menus and cutting out crap you don't want. Then you "render" or compile into a DVD format. Then you take all the files they create for you in the VIDEO_TS folder and burn onto a DVD. The manual has this info in it too.

4. mkm

mkm Member

Minion,

I used the ATI software to capture like you said. I have Nero6, so the file I captured is now a Nero Showtime file. I tried loading it into TMPGEnc and could not get it to load.

I need to trim the capture and burn to DVD.

What do I need to do?

Mark

Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  5. Minion

Minion Senior member

What do you mean it is a Nero showtime File??? If you captured your file with the ATI Software it should be a Mpeg file or an AVI file if it is a Mpeg file all you need to do is author it to DVD with a DVD Authoring program Like DVD-Lab or Tmpgenc DVD author, If you captured to AVI you will have to encode it to Mpeg2 with Tmpgenc and then author it to DVD with DVD-Lab or Tmpgenc DVD author...You shouldn"t need to use Nero for anything.....

6. mkm

mkm Member

Minion,

I used DVDlab to take my captured file and compile. I then burned to a DVD-RW. Tried the DVD on my sons TV and seems kinda jerky.

I used the ATI software to capture.

Why is the playback this way?

Should I used a different capture program?

Is there a good one for free?

How much is a decent one?

Is my ATI AIW-VE card the part that is the difference?

I just have a limited number of tapes to convert to DVD for the player in the car, so the quality is not as important as others on this forum.

Thanks,

Mark