1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero7 install on Vista rejects any serial number including trial

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by gdw35, May 21, 2007.

1. gdw35

gdw35 Member

I am trying to install Nero Premium 7 on Vista and I cannot even get past the serial number stage.

I purchased it online from Nero and downloaded the installer from the link provided. When I run it all goes well until the point where you need to enter the serial number. I enter the serial number received in the confirmation email from Nero and select "Next". A few seconds later I get a popup stating that the serial number entered is invalid. The only solution is to abort the install. I have even tried installing the trial version and get the same error message with the default (demo) serial number.

If I try and run the install on another PC running Vista it all works OK.

Any ideas what would be preventing the installer from rejecting any entered serial number?

Does anyone else have the same problem?

I am still waiting for a response from Nero support.

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

3. gdw35

gdw35 Member

I tried that and still no luck.

After having a look at the log file for the installer I think it is because I have not yet activated Vista. It came up with an error getting the Vista serial number when validating the Nero serial number.

I got my product key for Vista today so I will try later if it works after activation.

It seems a bit strange that you cannot install Nero if windows is not yet activated.

Will post the results.

(Still no response from Nero support after 3 days)

4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I have seen posts from members where they have waited 3 weeks

5. gdw35

gdw35 Member

Well I have managed to activate Vista finally (^@*!&^@).

I was upgrading from XP so purchased the Upgrade Edition. Due to me screwing round with the disk partitions prior to the install the disk was clean prior to me starting the upgrade. What I found when I went to activate Vista was that the activation key was for upgrade only and since the install was onto a clean disk it assumed that it was a clean install and rejected the key. The only way around it was to run the Vista Upgrade over the top of the installed Vista (ie. reinstall).

I digress.....

The result of all of this is that I had a clean system to try to reinstall Nero 7. NO GOOD!!!! I still cannot install Nero. It keeps telling me that the serial number is invalid, even if I just try to install the trial.

Still no response from Nero Tech Support after 5 days. Maybe it is time to see if I can get my money back.

Does anyone know of other burning tools that are as good as Nero 6 was? I was a regular user of Nero Recode and the data and audio burning software.

TIA.

6. gdw35

gdw35 Member

Problem solved.

I finally got a response from Nero support. They just repeated what is being said elswhere which was to run the Clean Tool and then run the installer again (although he did point me to a newer version that was released last week). I did this and still had the same problem. Grrrr!!!!

In frustration I decided to reinstall Vista. This time instead of selecting the default "Upgrade" option which keeps all of your previous settings, files and installed programs I selected the Clean Install option which copies all of your old stuff to a separate directory (Windows.old) and installs Vista cleanly. The consequence of this is that I had to reinstall all of my apps. The whole process of reinstall of Vista and resinstalling all of my apps only took a few hours.

The good news is that by doing the clean install Nero was able to properly install and is running very well. An added side effect of the reinstall of Vista is that some serious problems that I was having with my Telstra Cable internet connection (losing connections, VERY slow downloads, etc) suddenly disappeared. It appears that the problem was Vista all along. The upgrade install does not work as it should

LESSON LEARNED: When upgrading your PC to Vista DO NOT select the upgrade option. It will cause you no end of problems that will be very difficult to diagnose. Choose the clean install.