1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NeroVision/DVD-R Problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Watchout5, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Watchout5

Watchout5 Member

Hello all this is my first post, so if I'm repeating something I am truly sorry but I have looked all over and I hope you guys can help. I currently just bought the Sony DRU-510A and a package of (though I've returned Fuji packages twice) Memorex DVD-R 120 minutes. I'm also using NeroVision with the MPEG-2/DVD Encoder and trying to burn my movies.

Now to get to the problem, I stick in the disk and Nero takes a look at it, it comes up as 4,489MB which isn't 4.7GB, more like 4.4GB and creates a problem when I'm trying to burn my files with NeroVision that happen to be 4.64GB and only 100 minutes (ish) long. NeroVision then tells me (after the encoding from VCD-DVD) that there is not enough space on my 4.7GB disk for the 4.64GB movie (this was done in DVD-Video mode through NeroVision).

My question is after 3 different packs of DVD-R's and countless rendering times what my problem is, are DVD-R's only 4,489MB? Or is my drive aparently messed up, OR could it be Nero (Even though it's never failed me before it could just hate DVD).

Thanks guys I hope you can help me.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You can onyl put a maximum of 4430MB on to a 4.7GB disc. It is to do with the conversions between saying 4.7GB and working it out in terms of 1024MB is a GB, not 1000MB. Set the limti to 4300MB just for safety until you get a few good burns. they you can up it slightly. I dont recommend going over the 4430MB.

Chris

3. Watchout5

Watchout5 Member

So would I use something like DVD-Shrink to get my files small enough to just go into Nero and do that? Or should I do something else to the VCD's I have to get them to be able to fit onto the DVD-R's better?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thats right, yes. Visit this website for all the info you need on ripping, compressing and burning. Click on user guides:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/

5. Watchout5

Watchout5 Member

I was wondering if you could tell me if what I'm doing is going to aucaly work (with audio as I've noticed when trying to play it in some NeroVision Preview thingy it comes up VERY choppy) so here's what I'm doing.

I take my VCD or SVCD, extract the mpg file to my Hard Drive. I then open up NeroVision and Author the files (together on one disk) and encode them (and I also have the MPEG-2/DVD plug-in), encode those to my hard drive (unless it's 4.36GB, then right to DVD). I take those files into DVD shrink and make it fit onto the DVD-R and everything should be peachy (after I burn them onto a DVD-R with Nero)...but I was wondering if it would aucally work (not just the theroy). It would help me alot as the whole encoding process is VERY timly and I would like to do something right the first time. ^^

If that doesn't work could you get me a link to something that could help me? Thank you a bunch, you've already been a great help and I love this website.

6. Draider

Draider Member

Yes, should work fine. Just make sure u are using Latest nero burning rom (dvd-mode to burn) My nero version is 5.5.10.42 and working great on compatibilty with ps2/xbox/pc (using ritek 04 dvd-r/ nero/dvd2one). And using dvdshrink or dvd2one will only take 30 minutes to downsize ur dvds to fit on a single dvd-r. Good luck.

7. Watchout5

Watchout5 Member

I did all these steps (Encoding agian was with NeroVision my VCD's or SVCD's into DVD) and then I used level 2 on just the video and the audio came out choppy like I thought. My SVCD or VCD's are just fine but the DVD I burned....sucks for the audio.

What would happen if I seprated the file...converted to mp2 48000kz then put it back together and tried it then? Could that work?

Or maybe I should bag the idea and get your opinions on my situation...I need VCD's and SVCD's to DVD and so far all I've done is fail....so anything at this point would do me good...thanks.

8. Watchout5

Watchout5 Member

By the way I just wanted to clarify that this is NeroVision 2 with the MPEG-2/DVD plug-in and I really don't know why the audio wants to do that because this plug-in SHOULD do this for me...but if anyone else has encountered the same problem...help?

If not maybe some other way I can get the DVD to work with good Video and Audio...and by the way I did look a little at the video quality after using DVD-Shrink and WOW, that looks great still, only different was the size of the project. :p Any and all help would be much apreciated...than you guys.

9. Watchout5

Watchout5 Member

I just remembered I switched everything over to PIO settings on the IDE channel for the drive...could the fact I'm not using the DMA on my drive cause thing type of error? Sorry for so many posts...I'm just trying to think of anything that could have gone wrong (I usually try to fix things way to much and break 3 or 4 parts). I'll try it later today when I wake up but if anyone knows for sure...thanks. ^^

10. Watchout5

Watchout5 Member

One last thing I decided to try was playing on my PC...cause I didn't try that....but doing this I got 0 for audio using windows media player...just one last thing and I'm SOOO sorry for all the posts but whatever gets this fixxed...thanks agian.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You sometimes find that they dont play with sound on the computer but play fine on the DVD player. One way to be sure is jsut to test it using a disc. Leave your DMA settings off as this can screw things up too.

Chris