1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NeroVision Express 2 Re-Encoding MPEG-2 complian files?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by ccampbell, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting an issue instead of responding to them.

'Virgin' territory for me. :) But to get to the point...

I've seen a number of post's where users are indicating the NeroVision Express software is re-Encoding MPEG-2 files created with TMPGEnc and other Similar encoders.

I've converted an AVI file that was 6gig in size to MPEG-2 format using the TMPGEnc and other encoders, and then used NeroVision Express 2.1.2.18 to create a DVD from this content. I was hoping to duplicate the issues reported so we can address them. However, I am finding that our software is not re-encoding the files as indicated by a few users.

I used a few of our competitors software in the same process, and I have found that in most cases our software takes even less time.

For example:

Using the latest MyDVD from Sonic I created a DVD-Video disc from the MPEG-2 file created with TMPGEnc, and it took 18mins for the building and encoding process before a burn began.

Whereas, using the NVE 2.1.2.18 software and this same MPEG-2 file created with TMPGEnc, it took 11mins for the building and encoding process before a burn began.

From the logs generated by both programs, I did see Menus were encoded, and the Audio Track was encoded, but not the video portion.

The only times I did see re-encoding going on by any of the programs is when changes were made to the Video. Meaning Transistions added, audio tracks added, Motion Menus, etc. And even then only those segements of the video modified were re-encoded not the whole file.

So I need help trying to duplicate this issue that some are reporting. If anyone is seeing a Re-encode occuring in our software, an not in another, could you provide details?

I would like to know the following:

1) What software created the MPEG-2 compliant file?
    2) What software, other than NeroVision, did you use that did not do the Re-Encode that you see in Nero?
    3) Did you add antying to the Video in the NeroVision software and the other third party software? Such as Menus, Motion Menu, back ground Audio, etc.

As much input as you can provide would be greatly appreciated, as from our tests, we are not able to duplicate this issue that a few have reported.

Best Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

It does it with every single Mpeg2 file I use...
    These are 23.976fps Mpeg2 with 2:3 Pulldown created by CCE SP 2.67....

It also doesn"t accept Dolby AC3 or DTS as an audio source and it also will not accept seperate audio and Video files and it encodeing is Just awefull, probably the worst I have ever seen ...
    It also has really Lame Menu"s Features ....
    To me it is just a program used by those who don"t know any better or are too lazy to learn a better way...

For Basic DVD"s I use DVDLab which doesn"t even come with a built in Video/Audio encoder..
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  3. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Minion,

Yes, I've seen your very strong opinion posted many times on Afterdawn in regards to the NVE software. :)

And to be honest, the constructive portions are very much appreciated.

You mention that every single MPEG2 file you test with is re-encoded by Nero. Could you provide a download link to one file that you specifically have had trouble with in this regards? As I mentioned, my testing is not able to confirm your stated results, and I would very much like to track down the cause of this reported issue. I've seen others report this issue, but none have been able to provide a sample that I can duplicate this issue. I've also seen other reports from users, even a few posted on AD, that do not see their MPEG-2 files being re-encoded by NVE.

NVE does support DoblyDigital AC-3, and you can select this option in NVE under MORE->Video Options->Audio Format.

It's true that NVE will not accept the Video Track and its Audio Track seperately. But NVE was never designed for that advanced a user. NVE was desgined to give an average user some powerful, easy to use features. Those who are advanced users will normally go with tools such as Adobe Premeire, DVD Labs, etc.

As for Menu features, well everyone has their own preferences, and you'll never satisfy everyone. But we do continue to improve on the Menu template, and will continue to offer more in that area. Suggestions are always welcome. :)

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA