1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NeroVision Express (avi to dvdr porbs)

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kranecu, Apr 27, 2004.

1. kranecu

kranecu Member

I haven't been able to find much information on converting my avi files so that I can put them on DVDr and play them on my DVD player. I am currently using nero, which is incredibly simple and fun to use. I would be infinitely happy with this program if it worked better. When creating chapters or editing movies, the program often crashes. Also, a couple of movies, which seemed fine in avi format, become very glitchy when I play them on my DVD player. These glitches become progressively worse towards the end of the movie. If anyone can suggest a fix for this problem, or a better way to convert avi to play on a DVD player (via dvdr), I would be eternally grateful.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

NeroVision Express is known to be bug ridden... I would highly suggest learning a different method.

There are literally loads of other encoder about that are not only quicker but also better video quality !
    I personally use MainConcept MPEG Encoder to encode avi to MPEG2 , then TMPGEnc DVD Author to convert to VOB [incl. chapter points & meu(s) too].
    But there are many alternatives... do a search messages on 'avi to dvd' [you'll be able to view ppl's suggestions as to other applications]

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Afterdawn Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    Afterdawn Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  3. kranecu

kranecu Member

yeah, I've tried those programs, but they're no where near as simple and versatile as nero. At any rate, I have solved part of my problem. Nero still crashes alot, but, as long as I save frequently, it is only a minor inconvenience. I went out and bought a sony dvp-ns575p dvd player (~$90) and my dvds play perfectly now. (My old one came out before dvdr). I dug a couple out of the trash that didn't play at all and they play perfectly also. The only one that wouldn't play was one that I did in PAL.

4. kranecu

kranecu Member

you say that other programs are faster. I'm curious as to how much faster. How long does it take to make a dvd from avi using MainConcept MPEG Encoder and TMPGEnc DVD Author? Nero is one step and takes about 8 hours. Well, most of the time it is two steps because I have to use dvd shrink to fit it onto a dvd (30 min).

5. herbsman

Approx. 3 hrs for MainConcept , 40mins for TMPGenc , 25mins for Nero ... [I'd use DVD2One to shrink if needed , about 20mins for that]

6. kranecu

kranecu Member

so it only takes about half the time, but demands about 4x as much effort... I'll try one that way and see how it goes. You'd think that, with all of the programs out there, there'd be one as easy as nero vision express that was stable and fast. If such a program existed, I would be compelled to actually PAY for that software.

7. herbsman

hehe , I see your point on one-click wonderware but one programme that does all seldoms turns out to be the best ;)

8. c02099891

c02099891 Guest

You know I was having serious problems with Nerovision crashing also. I tried many other packages, and though some worked very well, none could beat the simplicity of Nerovision. You did not have to convert the video at all, in 3 to 4 hours I would have a dvd no matter what the video was.

So I updated all of my video codecs (xvid was the problem this time), and now there is not one crash.

Been working good now for some time.

9. kranecu

kranecu Member

I think I have solved the problem with nero crashing all of the time. I downloaded every codec available through the afterdawn download section and now nero no longer crashes.

10. NepiKez

NepiKez Member

hey

i have a quesiton about avi to vob.
    i have a bunch of tv eps i wanna put onto a dvd.
    the eps are 30min each, and when i tried to use nerovision,( im sure it will do it with any program)
    it only lets me put like 3 eps on a disc. the eps are only like 120mb each. why does it convert it to a 1.3 or so GB file? the rez is like 528 x 240 or something.

thanks

11. kranecu

kranecu Member

I don't know much about the technical aspects of this, so I may be wrong. But, anyway, the way I understand it:

When you convert from whatever format to dvd format, the resolution is converted to be compliant with that format.

As such, a dvd will only hold about 130 minutes of video.

That said, dvd shrink works great with nero.

The way I would handle this would be to go ahead and set nero up so that you are putting about 12 eps on a disk and write the project to your hard drive (will require a lot of free space).

Then open up the files with dvd shrink and shrink it as much as you can. If you can fit it on a disk, great - do it. If not, save to hard drive again and repeat the shrinking process. I haven't shrunk anything that much, but, from what I understand, you won't notice a loss in quality unless you are watching it on a big screen tv.

Let me know how this works because I have every episode of south park (about 120) and I'd like to start putting them on DVD. I'm curious as to how many eps I can put on a disk without losing quality.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

kranecu, when i insert vob files in nve 2, i've yet to have a problem. Think maybe avi has something to do with it? [​IMG]

13. NepiKez

NepiKez Member

my original plan was to encode about 9 GB of avi's and a menu into VOB's with nerovision and store them as files on my hard drive then use dvdshrink to take it down to a 4.7 GB disc.

[bold]PROBLEM[/bold]
    nerovision only lets u make a set of vob files that total to 4.7gb or less. anyone know how to ajust/tweak nerovision to let u make a set of 9 GB vobs?

when i tried this i had 12 GB of fre space on my HD. is it possible that it didnt let me make the 9GB of vobs because it needs extra HD space?

thanks

14. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Although I didn't let it finish, NVE seemed to allow the writing of 8.26G to a folder (got plenty of HD space).

If using AVI's it might be best to play with NVE's bitrate to encode it to the right size right off the bat, rather than encode (to the wrong size) then transcoding to fit. Seems like one step might produce better quality.

15. NepiKez

NepiKez Member

i changed the bitrate but when i try to write to folder, the actual button to 'write' disapears....

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  16. Jaydoggg

Jaydoggg Guest

There is another option to your guy's problem. Firstly, your doing an episodic dvd which means your source material was captured from Television. Meaning your resolution is already questionable. NVE2 will force the resolution to 720x480 NTSC. I'll bet my paycheck that you guys didnt capture in this resolution. What I would do is use a compliant resolution of 352x240 with the audio transcoded to 48 khz of course. In this way you'll have properly formatted sources for burning. Problem with nero is inflating sources to 720x480 you lose quality. In most cases, the source is almost doubled and you get artifacts even with a good bicubic or bilinear resiser. TMPGenc is extremely easy to use. just use the low res dvd compliant wizard in TMPGenc. Then, use TMPGenc DVD author to make the vob's with menus and such. You'll prolly have the same amount of time involved since your not shrinking. Also, a word on that. It makes no since to me at all to do the episodic disc the way your doing it. First you take a source and inflate it (loosing quality) then since your file size is huge you Shrink it (YES, even loosing more quality) Shrinking does in fact reduce bitrate to achieve size so you are in fact loosing quality. I'm done, hope this helps your episodic dvd/r's Oh ya, one last thing...at the end of TMPGenc, choose add job to batch encoding, and keep throwing episodes at it till your done.

-Jaydoggg

17. deester1

deester1 Member

just to add my 2 peneth to the original question.
    Nero vision express used to crash to desktop alot of the time on my P.C too. I stumbled on the solution when a new game i bought also started crashing to desktop. As it turned out Both nero vision express and the 3D game were putting such a load on my p.c that my problems were overheating related. Since Adding an extra fan, half blowing on the PCI bus and half over the processor, Vision express 2 hasnt crashed once.
    uptil making this mod i was experiencing exactly the same errors as you are reporting.

18. kranecu

kranecu Member

[ NepiKez

nerovision only lets u make a set of VOB files that total to 4.7gb or less. anyone know how to ajust/tweak nerovision to let u make a set of 9 GB vobs?

when i tried this i had 12 GB of fre space on my HD. is it possible that it didnt let me make the 9GB of vobs because it needs extra HD space? ]

- that could be it. I just went through a test run to make sure that it works and it works fine. I set up a 16 gb movie (combined 2 long movies). I then selected a location on my hard drive. It warned me that the resulting file could be unusable, but it let me do it anyway. I've never adjusted anything. It must be an issue of hard drive space.

I believe that temporary files totaling the size of the entire file are created when you are encoding which means that, if you are making a 9 gb movie, you need 18 gb of free space.

sorry for the late reply

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  19. kranecu

kranecu Member

deester1 -

my problem was related to codecs... or at least the lack of them. I still haven't had a problem since updating my codecs.

At least, not with nero. a couple games stopped working because of codec conflicts.

if it's not one thing, it's another.