1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

network adapter and wireless laptop

Discussion in 'PS2' started by brianbuck, Aug 21, 2004.

1. brianbuck

brianbuck Member

Well ive jst baught a network adapter and am trying to set it up & i cant get this thing going, please could someone help me before i eject the ps2 out the first floor window

Im trying to connect the ps2 na to a wireless laptop using ics, through a crossover cable

Ok ill jst give you the settings im using @ the moment.
    And maybe you could take a look to see if they are right.

The host computer:
    this computer is connected to a usb adsl modem. it has a bridge of a wired and a wireless lan.
    the ip address of the bridge is 192.168.0.20, subnet is 255.255.255.0 for all computers on network.
    there is no default gateway or DNS server set.
    ICS is running on this computer

The client:
    a wireless laptop,
    for wireless adapter - ip 192.168.0.53, default gateway 192.168.0.20, DNS server 192.168.0.20.
    Etehrnet adapter - ive tried ip 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x with and without the above gateway and dns.
    the internet gateway is showing up here and is working with internet browsing. i tried to bridge the ethernet and wireless here and give it a ip of 192.168.0.x but then i lose all connections with gateway and wlan. so im leaving them unbridged

i have matched the settings on the ps2 and when i try to run a connection test it will only get as far as the dns test, and then it gives an error of DNS reslove failed no response from server (2)

anyone know whats goin on?

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Do you have a wireless router or a basic wireless access point for your wireless connections. Also I'll try to diagram my understanding of how you're connected:

+------------+
    | ADSL Modem |--------> Internet
    +------------+
    |
    | USB
    |
    +--+
    | |
    | +--+
    | | | Host PC
    +--+--+
    |
    |/ Wireless
    |
    |
    \ | /
    +-----+
    | | Wireless Access Point or Router???
    +-----+ Important
    |
    |/
    |
    |
    +--------+
    | Laptop |
    +--------+
    |
    | <-- What kind of connection
    | from PS2 to Laptop???
    +---------+
    | PS2 ++
    +--------+

3. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Well, that diagram didn't turn out too well after posting. Anyway, I hope you understand what I'm trying to figure out.

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Lets try this:

[​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]PS2 - v8
    Mod - Magic V
    Burner - CenDyne (Pioneer) DVR-A05
    Media - Anything Cheap

Gamecube w/Broadband Adapter
    Phantasy Star Online
    Animal Crossing Loader v1.4
    Phantasy Star Uploader v1.1
    Gamecube ISO Ripping Server v1.0.0.29[/small]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  5. brianbuck

brianbuck Member

Hi icemonkey thanks a million for replying

Ya dats my setup,i like the diagrams, i understood the first one.

Well its a D-link adsl router model dsl-604+ ,it is not connected to anything except power lead.

The lead to the ps2 is a crosswired patch cable

6. brianbuck

brianbuck Member

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

That is an extremely complicated setup and to simplify the problem, you're having a routing issue between the PS2 and the Internet with all the multi-homed devices you have installed between the two points. Rather than explain how to get the existing setup working I'd rather you modified your setup to match the following diagram unless you have reason to do otherwise then I can try to explain what to do with what you have already. Note my 1st recommendation requires purchasing two new components and based on the specs sheet you linked to I'm assuming that your wireless router can double as an ADSL modem. The components you will need for this setup will be a D-Link DWL-810 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=21 and a DWL-520 for the Host PC http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=42 .

[​IMG]

Again, if this is not feasible for you, I'll try to explain how to get your existing configuration working but it gets extremely complicated if you aren't comfortable with TCP/IP routing.

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Also, I couldn't find this on the spec sheet you linked to but does your wireless router have a WAN port? If so, does it support USB, Ethernet, or both?

9. brianbuck

brianbuck Member

I can see what you are getting at, but im afraid i will not be able to implement it because i forgot to mention that the host computer is in another building, the host already has a DWL-G520 but it is connected to an antenna placed on the roof of the building because the distance between the host and router is too great to just use a normal wireless card.

If i was to move the router to the host building there would be problem, the router would not connect to the antenna.

I also wanted to mention that i could set up ps2 so that it connects to the router rather than the laptop if this is any easier for you

im not sure what you meant by a WAN port so i took a pic of the back of the router, but didnt have anywhere to post it. So ill just tell you, it has a port called console, 4 ethernet ports, a port called adsl, and it does not have any usb capabilities.

sorry we have to go about this the hard way!

Thanks

10. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Setting up the PS2 to connect directly to the wireless router instead of through the laptop PC using ICS would be a much more desirable situation. We already know that the original setup I diagramed works until the PS2 is introduced so if you can't change it, that's fine. When you configure the PS2 to connect directly to the router try a manual TCP/IP configuration of 192.168.0.54 MASK 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.20 DNS 192.168.0.20. The whole issue with the initial problem statement you gave me is directly related to the use of ICS. To oversimplify the problem, you cannot have two TCP/IP subnets connected with Windows ICS. They will attempt to auto-issue duplicate IP addresses wreaking havoc on your routing tables.

11. brianbuck

brianbuck Member

Ya, ok that sounds good ill try that later, im at work now. It's just a bit awkward because ill have to move a tv, playstation, & router into a different room.

I was jst wondering, what does the other option involve? Is it very awkward to set up? Do i need new hardware/software?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The other option would involve creating a new logical TCP/IP subnet for the wired lan on the laptop although I am not sure if ICS can handle that. Can you leave everything where it is and use a DWL-810 to simply make the ethernet on the PS2 wireless or is there a distance issue between the PS2 and the wireless router?

13. brianbuck

brianbuck Member

I dont tink there would be a distance problem with the PS2 to the router but ill go try to see if i can connect the ps2 to the router useing wires first.

Thanks for all your help so far

14. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If connecting directly to the router with a cable works then the wireless bridge connection should work as well. At that point, it just matter where you want to setup the PS2.

15. brianbuck

brianbuck Member

No luck,
    couldnt get the thing going!

I assigned the settings to the ps2 as you told me to, and connected the ps2 directly to the router (using crossover cable) but no luck.
    The ps2 test stops at the first step this time, it doesnt even get a response from the network

Just wondering do i have to change any of the settings on the router, i have never changed anything on it since i got it.

I found a site with alot of information about the router if you want to take a look at it -
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q3/dlink_dsl604.asp

Maybe its time for plan B, what do you think?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  16. brianbuck

brianbuck Member

Sorry double post

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  17. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If you connected to the switched ports on the router you should probably be using a patch cable and not a crossover. Try it with a patch cable assuming you have one around.

18. brianbuck

brianbuck Member

Okay the patch cable kinda worked!

I passed the diagnostic tests, with a ping of about 70-80ms.

But then when i go to connect to central station, the connecting screen comes up, but it never connects. Ive left it for 5 or 10 minutes but still it wont connect. Have you ever seen this before?

19. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Does your network setup disc come with any TCP/IP diagnostic utilities that for example would let you ping a remote host? If so try pinging an IP address or Internet host from one of the PC until you find one that allows replies. Then try this on the PS2 and see if you get replies. Note whether you got replies when trying to ping a host by name or IP address from the PS2. At this point, I'm thinking there's a possible DNS problem. Do you know the inside IP address of the ADSL modem that's connected to the Internet? Try using that IP address as the DNS server on the PS2. Often people's ADSL modems/routers act as DNS proxies for all clients attached on the inside network.

20. brianbuck

brianbuck Member

No it doesnt come with a utility like that. It jst comes with the utility for pinging the central station server, which was successful in my case

I trid to use the modems ip but no luck it is on a different subnet (255.255.0.0) & so couldnt connect to it