1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

network adapter-cheap kinds question...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by duboy1, Dec 27, 2003.

1. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Hi, I am now getting dsl and was just wandering if it is worth paying $40 paying for a SONY brand ethernet modem, or can I just buy a cheap ethernet ps2 modem and it will perform just as much? Any advice? Thanks!

duboy1

2. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Sorry, but i forgot to mention if you can play your back-up copies of ps2 games on the internet through the ps2 ethernet modem without the original game with swap magic discs and a slide card? Thanks!

duboy1

3. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

I do not know anything about which brand of card to get (stupid high speed internet not available in my area yet, so it would ultimately be pointless) but I do know that you can not play backups online. It will detect that it is not an original game.

4. WEStar

WEStar Active member

there are games that require the official sony adapter to go online with them so you might wanna get the sony.

5. dazz187

dazz187 Member

I played the original socom online all the time... it was a backup... i played tribes 2 and espn nba 2k3 a lot too.

6. dazz187

dazz187 Member

I was using the Sony adapter though... I'd reccomend getting the real deal.

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I am like Drats high speed internet isn't available in my area.I thought I was the only one off here that doesn't have dsl or cable,I have finally found that I am not alone.

8. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

lol.. im less than a mile out of the range of either DSL or cable. it sucks. And i am guessing since their coverage area is so large, and its only a little out of the way, then well, they wont be too worried with extending it any time soon :(

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey DraTs if you get a chance soon to get either one which one would you get dsl or cable.I have heard alot of people saying dsl is better but I can't figure out why because cable looks to me like it runs quicker.

10. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

cable is capable of faster speeds, supposedly. BUT it is a lot less reliable. I myself would rather dsl.

11. dazz187

dazz187 Member

I'm a networking minor... I can tell you that for the next 10 years or so it won't matter which you get... but eventually dsl will be better... and probably be available first in your area as it uses the regular phone lines already in your house... they just need to install a modulator near by your residence... right now the only differences are dsl in general costs more and uploads faster.

12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Well that is good news to hear looks like I will be getting dsl also when it comes out.

13. dazz187

dazz187 Member

I have cable myself... when we first got it, it was constantly off and on buggy junk... but that was 3 years ago now and it's pretty reliable now... sometimes it will go out for a few hours maybe once a month... but nothing is on 100% of the time so you really can't complain. As for why DSL will be fast is that once it moves to a decent medium like fiber it will be the fastest connection there is... but that is a long ways away.

14. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

actually, powerline connections would be the fastest if they ever get it up and running, they said it would be capable of 1 with 18 0s behind it bits per second.

15. dazz187

dazz187 Member

well dsl is a signal that is modulated and amplified to make it stronger... so if you put it on a superior medium it would just make that medium several times stronger than it really is... but it would also be very expensive._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Kizz my black azz![/small]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2003
  16. Dany22

Dany22 Member

To answer one of the dazz's topic before about the online games that he can play online..all the games the he mentionned in the reply are not DNAS protected so this one we can play online backups or not...but try to play THUG or SSX3 backup online..DNAS protection will check first that u have a chip/swap magic cd and also if the cd is original or not...so forget about new online games that just came out a few months ago...u cannot play online unless u have the original and the chip disabled..

Peace,

Dany22