1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

network adpater help

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dwolfe99, Aug 31, 2004.

1. dwolfe99

dwolfe99 Member

I have a network adpater and i have cable internet. i have been trying to hook it up to play online and it says connection timed out. i am wondering can i not hook the ps2 and the cable modem 2 each other? if so how do i go about it? i don't want to use a router if i don't have to. i don't need to be able to get internet and play ps2 same time. i will hook and unhook for each if someone can tell me how!!!!!!!!!!!

2. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

this happened to a friend of mine all the time... try turning off your cable modem for about 10 seconds and then turning back on and retrying. keep doing this until it works. sometimes it takes about ten tries.

3. dwolfe99

dwolfe99 Member

can i just hook them up to each other without a router? if so don't i just go from ps2 to cable modem or how do i do that?

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

with my cable internet you have to either get a router or call the isp and get another ip address for the ps2.

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

A lot of cable companies determine if you're able to access their Internet service by tracking your MAC address. The PS2 Network Adapter has a different MAC addess than the device you had previously connected to your cable modem and when you switch the connection to your PS2 the cable modem will detect this change and what happens next depends on your cable provider. Some simply recommend that you power down your cable modem for 5 minutes then connect it to the new device and other require that you contact them either online or by phone and declare that you will be connecting with an additional device and provide them with the MAC address of the device. The network setup utility for the PS2 has an option to obtain the network adapter's MAC address.

6. flyswater

flyswater Member

maybe its a problem with your password. . .this happened to my cousin and he retyped the password and it worked.try retyping passwords and usernames.it all depends on what internet connection u have 2 :)

7. zombieRX

zombieRX Member

Icemonkey is correct. More and more ISPs are enabling MAC security (the larger ones atleast). Both ISPs i've used required me to contact them or fill out an online form when they detected a MAC change.

If you normally connect a pc to the modem i STRONGLY recommend you get a router. Wired Linksys routers are cheap and dependable (in my experience =p). This will not only allow you to connect more than one device, it will up your security 10fold. Without getting into too much detail it will hide your pc/ps2 from the Internet only allowing what you want to come in. So, kiss all that network spoofed spammed garbage goodbye, saving your pc some much needed processor time, i'm sure it wouldn't hurt your ps2 either. Last but not least once the ISP has your router MAC setup you can plug/unplug what you want (from the router -=))and never have to worry about contacting them again.

So for around 30 bucks you can get a [firwall/switch/router] and save yourself alot of headaches.