1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Network cable unplugged"

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by joseph11h, Nov 28, 2004.

1. joseph11h

joseph11h Member

This is about to drive me crazy...here's my situation.

I heard about the newly-released 100mbit exploit in the new version of Phoenix. So I tried it with my notebook, like I usually do, a direct connection using some RJ45 cable. But it didn't work, although the 10mbit version still worked.

But I wasn't satisfied, so I tried it on my desktop which has two network cards, neither built into the motherboard, they're both PCI. One is a Realtek and the other, a 3com. When I plug the cable into either of them via a direct connection with my Gamecube, it doesn't even know it's there, it says "network cable unplugged."

But both work fine when connected to my router. So I tried doing that; when I plug either card up through my router, I even tried it with the Internet ethernet cable disconnected (as someone had suggested that somewhere...) it connects and loads up the Starcube screen, but can't load the ISO and freezes. (The ISO is Animal Crossing, by the way).

It's about to drive me insane...I can't figure out what's going on...perhaps a service that's running? I disabled Internet Connection Sharing / Firewall...could it be anything else? All the cables I've used have been standard RJ45. All help is very much appreciated!

2. joseph11h

joseph11h Member

Does anyone have an idea? I've heard of lots of different problems people are having with this loader, but I really thought that after trying two different network cards, there had to be something I was doing wrong...

3. durosgeo

durosgeo Guest

I couldn't get my stuff running either and realized I needed to turn off my firewalls. Gc sim 100mbps mode wont boot metprime2 for me and plays ViewtifulJoe2 pretty choppy. Also if your card is a realtek.. dont count on it working with your gc. I have the same problem. As have others. I got a dlink usb 2.0 ethernet adapter 10/100 and it seems to do the trick. (dlink pci ethernet cards work well also i hear.)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2004
  4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If you are connecting directly from the Gamecube to a PC NIC you need to use a CAT5 crossover cable. If everything was working when connected through your router/switch/hub that means you have patch cables. Also on the PC side make sure that you are not locking your NIC's media speed at 100Mbit as how the initial connection needs to be made at 10Mbit. Internet Connection Sharing does indeed cause problems with streaming and should be disabled on PC's connected to a Gamecube. Being that you mentioned that you have a 3Com NIC try using that as how that is tried and true with my testing.

5. joseph11h

joseph11h Member

Wow, this whole time it was just a cable...I guess I just assumed it should work and was the right kind of cable because I used the same cable with my notebook, but I guess my notebook just likes patch cables for some reason and my desktop doesn’t. Thanks so much for your help, you have no idea how happy I am now. : ) I’ve been wanting to run games at 100mbits/sec for as long as I can remember and now, with some crossover cable, it should finally work. Hopefully other people that have had similar problems will find this thread and learn from my mistae...