1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Network completely gone after windows 7 update

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ACIDMX, Feb 27, 2015.

1. ACIDMX

ACIDMX Regular member

Hey there guys I have a strange problem that I can't seen to fix, nor can I find anyone with the same problem online.

Booted up my laptop today after an update and I was not able to connect via LAN, WLAN or even through a tethered iPhone.

•On every adapter there is no internet connection on tcp/ip v4&v6
    •No adapter is sending/receiving packets
    •Ipconfig /all lists nothing
    •All network drivers are up to date,
    •Did uninstall/reinstall on all adapters
    •Tried resetting winstock/tcp/ip, successful yet no fix
    •Tried uninstalling update KB2952664 (Doesn't appear to go away. It just says restart and it ends up right back on the list)
    •sfc /scannow completed with success
    •no firewall enabled/no antivirus

It's such an odd problem and I have no idea how to solve this one. It was working one minute, then on reboot every method of getting online fails. It surprised me that not even the tethering method worked. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as this is definitely frustrating.

Thank you!

Webmasters Pride likes this.
  2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Looks like you've tried a lot.. Might try flushing the DNS :

In the run box type in cmd.exe and click OK. When the black cmd box opens, type in:
    ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.. ( space between g and / )

ALSO, do you have a system restore point that's before the update from MS? might give that a whirl if you do.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Try using the microsoft fix it solution that said the update you refer too is another botched update release,my advice is turn off auto update & check manually then wait a month or more before actually installing,in the mean time create a backup image before you install any future updates,hopefully 2olds suggestion of reverting with system restore will work

4. ACIDMX

ACIDMX Regular member

What's weird to me is that I can't get rid of the update. Albeit add/remove installed updates or via the console. It just lets me infinitely uninstall it. Doesn't seem to go away.

5. ACIDMX

ACIDMX Regular member

I have done this to no avail as well. Unfortunately didn't have system restore enabled so that won't do much.

I have even used MajorGeeks Complete Internet Repair Tool which seems to cover everything yet it is still the same. Ipconfig is blank, ipconfig /all shows nothing. No access to Internet on any adapter. I am really confused by this whole thing. The update may very well be the problem but I can't seem to get rid of it!

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Seems odd the network adapter isn't working yet your able to post :p yes helpful as usual.
    Ok enough silly buggers can revo uninstaller get rid of it i think you should also download a linux live cd iso & just make sure the adapters are actually working coincidence or not at least it'll determine its not a hardware fault,just thought can you do a network driver roll back

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pclinuxos

7. ACIDMX

ACIDMX Regular member

Posting from my iPhone :)
    See that's the thing, I know for certain it isn't the hardware because why would tethering not work also? It is driven via usb, it shows up but has no ip/connectivity/dns, nothing. It seems like some kind of software corruption but I can't find anything online about it :(

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried system restore to before the problem started?

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Try reading back before posting, ddp. Then it might not look like you are just padding your posts. :rolleyes:

10. ddp

was looking at his posts not yours which is why I missed it. don't need to pad as just over 38k posts.

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You didn't look well enough... That's how you got the 38k posts. Like I said, Padding! :p

12. ddp

busy doing other stuff like 1 customer's laptop & another customer's tower.

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You just gotta have the last post...... pad! pad! pad!

14. ddp

yes & no.

15. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I think we've been cut off. You made 4 posts and your count never changed. I made 4 and got bumped up 1... Hey, I went from a Senior member back to a Regular member, shouldn't I feel younger? Like maybe a 1YoungGeek? o_O

16. ddp

look in the mirror to see if still look old or not. can always ask your better half if you look younger or not but I think it will be "not" or even older since the last time she saw you.

17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Dam! I looked into a full length mirror and it looked like I was standing behind a Tow Sack full of door knobs... dam dam dam :(

18. ddp

har har hee har!!!!!!

19. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Getting back on the subject.... ACIDMX, you may have some corrupted sectors on your HD and parts of the system are missing... Try running CHKDSK to repair any bad sectors on your system drive. I have seen this work in the same kind of situation before.

Go to Start > Computer and then right-click on the drive you want to check, and choose Properties.

[​IMG]

Then select the Tools tab, and click the “Check Now” button.

[​IMG]

A little dialog will pop up to allow you to choose the options you want for the disk check. You should check both options if you want to really check the disk properly, but if you just want to do a quick check you could select only the first one.

[​IMG]

The only problem with that is that Windows can’t check a drive that’s being used, such as the system drive, but Windows will let you schedule a disk check for the next reboot.

[​IMG]

You should keep in mind that running through a full check disk takes quite a while, sometimes hours depending on how big the drive is and how many files you have.

2oG