1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking a PC and a laptop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jonas7, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Jonas7

Jonas7 Member

Hi there,

I currently have 3 PC's in my house all networked to an NTL broadband modem / router. One of which is my own computer, but i am looking to get a laptop which i can network to my computer so both can be using broadband internet at the same time.

Can someone help with with what equipment i will need, and what connections i will need in my new laptop.

Also since my computers ethernet cable is already taken up by broadband, how will i connect the laptop, so broadband can run through that to?

Hope this is fairly clear of what im trying to achieve here!

Thanks

Mark

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If your laptop supports wireless get a wireless router and replace your existing router or connect to it if you have a modem/router all-in-one appliance.

3. Easycola

Easycola Regular member

I gather your NTL router still has some free slots (since you told having 3 comps allready connected to it, it has 4 port ethernet switch/hub included, atleast), so connecting your laptot to free ethernet router port can't be done?

Anyway, if you want to connect your laptop via your own computer, you must aqquire another nic card and install it to your pc and then connect your laptop to to it. After harware part is done, MS Windows is equipped with feature ICS (= Internet Connection Sharing) which have to be used if you want to use broadband conn on laptop via your pc. There are 3rd party solutions for ICS too, if not MS happy. You will find several step by step guides to enable ICS from net, just use google.