1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking Bell Sympatico USB Modem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by epstein1, Sep 25, 2007.

1. epstein1

epstein1 Member

Just wondering if any o fyou guys with some know how can help me out...I have Belly sympatico internet high speed, the modem is a USB type, the modem has one long wire that plugs directly into the USB port of my computer and it splits at the end with a telephone jack adapter that plugs into the phone line...never seen a hook up like this an dnot sure how to wire this to a router to network it...any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance!

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hi, I geuss your using a Speedstream model of modem. They, depending on the model have a usb and an ethernet port. You can connect it to a router one of two ways.

1)
    You can use the blue usb wire and connect from modem(usb port) directly to pc usb port. You will have to install drivers for modem.
    You then connect the ethernet cable(usually yellow) from the modem to internet port of the router.
    Patch to the other devices.

2)
    You can forget the usb and use only ethernet.
    You will connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the internet port of the router.
    You will then patch the other devices(pcs, Xbox...) to the ports of the router.

Hope this helps........

3. epstein1

epstein1 Member

there is no ethernet port at all just the connection to the USB and a phone jack type of adapter that connects to the phone line...

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hi, what is the model on the bottom of the modem.

5. epstein1

epstein1 Member

this is the model of the modem, still having issues on connecting this to a router

71704 cpu20 3ec Alcatel SpeedTouch “StingRay” USB ADSL High Speed Modem

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hi, contact bell at 310-SURF. Tell them you want to install your own
    router. Ask them to replace the USB modem with an Efficient Networks Speedstream model. You should have no problem with them......