1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by albino92, Jun 2, 2007.

1. albino92

albino92 Regular member

I have a softmodded xbox with Evox as its dashboard. I have ftp'd in the past using a router. Now i want to hook up my xbox to my laptop via ethernet cable and ftp. Also i wish to be able to stream videos to Xbmc from internet urls or from my laptop hdd. But i have troubles doing this because it says no link under my Evox nework settings. Is there a way to be able to exchange info from my laptop to my xbox without a router. Also my laptop's wireless connection has ICS enabled and that has worked before on my xbox 360. The only problem is, with my original xbox i can't get an ip. Thanks.

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Firstly, just in case there is confusion, the Xbox will not work with wireless!

As for ethernet, you need a crossover cable, not a straight through!

[​IMG]

Just setup the IP address on both the Laptops NIC and the Xbox to be on the same network (eg. 10.1.1.1 + 10.1.1.2, both with subnets of 255.0.0.0)

3. steimy

steimy Active member

Both Xbox and Xbox 360 will work perfectly fine on a wireless network provided that they are both Xbox compatible and you set them up correctly. Both my 360 and Xbox 1 use a wireless adapter and router by Linksys. It can FTP and stream media just fine.

If your 360 works on the wireless network then just input all of the same network settings into your Xbox. Unless you are using them both at the same time that will work. When i set up my 360 i took the exact same information i had on my Xbox and entered that into my 360 and was connected in a matter of minutes. The only thing you need to be aware of with wireless is if the router has security enabled. And trust me, it should unless you want all your neibors using your internet. Then on the 360 and the Xbox (MS Dash) you would need to set up the network there as well as the hacked dash because only the MS dash has a place for you to enter all of the security information like the SSID name, Security key, Type of encryption (WPA Personal or whatever) and everything.

4. albino92

albino92 Regular member

Thanks, but i don't think i was clear on what i was originally stating. I have a wireless laptop which has ICS enabled. I was able to connect my 360 to the wireless laptop via ethernet cable and it worked because i was able to play on Live. also in the past i have connected my xbox 1 to my desktop through a router and ethernet cable and i was connected to live. That worked succesfully. But on my wireless laptop, i connected it to my xbox 1 and under my Evox network settings it says no link. I want to be able to ftp without using a rouer, so that it is just between my laptop and xbox 1. But i don't have an ip address to enter under Flashfxp because it says no link under evox. So will i be able to give my xbox 1 internet access through the ICS and will i be able to ftp? Thanks

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I just explained that! You now have a direct link, you need a CROSSOVER cable!

Sorry about the wireless thing, wasn't aware you could get it going on Xbox 1!

6. steimy

steimy Active member

If the 360 worked connected directly to the laptop, with the cord that you already have. Then just get the network settings from the 360 and manually (static) enter those same settings into your Xbox 1 and it should also connect. They are exactly the same as far as how you network them. If one works then duplicating the same settings on the other will work.

If you connected your Xbox to a router then i would assume that you already have a crossover cable because a strait through ethernet cable would not have worked.

7. albino92

albino92 Regular member

Again i am sorry if i was unclear, but i assure you the problem is not my cable. Because i have used this cable for my 360 and xbox 1 when i connected it to ftp. I will hook up my xbox 1 to my router, get its ip settings from that, and then copy that and hook it up to my ics laptop. From there i will copy down the ip settings i got from my router and copy it to my xbox 1 and try to ftp between my laptop and stream media to XBMC. Thanks.

8. albino92

albino92 Regular member

Hey i tried again and still no success. I tried to bridge my LAN and wireless connection but it still didn't work. I set up new ip addresses for my xbox plenty of times and nothing happened. It then hit me that i could just keep my xbox 1 with a static ip address hooked up to my router upstairs and connect to it with my wireless laptop downstairs. I guess that using ICS to give the xbox an ip address and then ftp'ing with it through the same computer just wouldn't work. Either way i am pleased that i can ftp wirelessly. My main goal was to stream divx movies from online and then stream it to the xbox. But since my xbox is upstairs, there's not a tv down there. I guess i could just ftp all my divx movies to my xbox hdd and then watch it on a tv. But, i would have to go through the process of first downloading the videos to my laptop and then transfering them to my xbox. So i was wondering is there a way on XBMC or any other app to capture streams and save them to the hdd? Either way i am very pleased , and it is a good thing that i could just save my files to the xbox hdd rather than wasting more dvds. Thanks to everybody for helping!

9. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Glad you got it somewhat working, however you are still not paying attention. Your cable works! However, that cable you have is a 'Straight Through' cable. It will only work through a router or switch! It will look like the pic below when held end to end:

[​IMG]

What you now need now is a 'Crossover' cable.

[​IMG]

Then the Xbox will connect to your laptop!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  10. steimy

steimy Active member

The method you are having to use will work, but is really more work then it needs to be. How i would stream DivX

1. download file onto PC
    2. Us Xbox hooked to TV to stream DivX using XBMC
    that is it.
    now you do have to set up a home network (or wireless network depending on how you plan to do it) in Windows. With mine i use a wireless router on my PC. My Laptop has a built in wireless card that i access the internet with. The Xbox and Xbox 360 use a Linksys wireless gaming adapter and also connect wirelessly to Xbox Live and to the PC through XBMC to stream movies, music, and shoutcast radio stations.

With the 360 they have programs like ORB and TVersity to stream that stuff to the 360.

Just spending the $100 to get a good wireless adapter like the one i listed (which works with both Xbox and Xbox 360) will save you a lot of headaches and do exactly what you want with no cords or wires.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1533893&CatId=1594

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  11. albino92

albino92 Regular member

Hey thanks again. I know what you're saying and i have the right hardware to this, but i already have used tversity and orb. Tversity didn't work on my wii as a result of low flash memory on the console. I have streamed with XBMC succesfully and i would like to do it without having to download my divx files to my laptop hdd and just streaming it from the actual url itself. But, this all doesn't matter because i came up with a solution. I noticed my laptop and tv had s-video ports. So i found an old s-video cable lying around and hooked everything up. As a result i can just watch y divx videos online and make them appear on my Tv. Thanks for evrything!

12. steimy

steimy Active member

Yeah, that is another way of doing it. You could also burn them to a CD or DVD as a data disc and play them on the Xbox, Or just buy a DVD player that can play DivX (one that upconverts) and use that. If you get the upconverting DVD player that plays DivX you will get a better picture quality then the first two ways.

13. albino92

albino92 Regular member

Thanks to everybody for their help!