1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never a perfect copy yet..

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by napsun, Mar 4, 2005.

1. napsun

napsun Member

Hey guys.. I've been reading this forum for a very long time and haven't ever had an issue that wasn't asked and answered by someone on this forum.. until now..

I have a version 4 PS2 purchased in very good condition..

The problem:

I'm having more problems than anyone I know that owns a PS2 getting their backups to work flawlessly. I've had no troubles backing up my games for Playstation, Turbo Graphics 16, Dreamcast, and X-Box.. but Playstation 2 has yet to give me a 100% stutter-free burn.

I've used Memorex 4x DVD-R, Verbatim DVD+R DataLifePlus (which my system can read), FujiFilm 4x DVD-R, Teon 8x DVD+R (brand x, I know), and Ritek Ridata 4x Silver G04 DVD-Rs.. and other lesser brand names I can't recall at the moment. All have been burned on various machines, various burners, various software (Nero, DVD Decrypter, Alcohol), at 1-2x speeds.

None have provided a 100% stutter-free experience.

Some brands have big differences though, as so far Ritek's DVDs are definately the best of the bunch, but even those has some small occasional stutter. On some games with heavy loading like Mortal Kombat Deception it really delays the "Round 1" "Fight" sounds by a few seconds per match.. Other games, like Devil May Cry 3 JAP and US version, they seem to work near flawlessly, except for rare small jerks in the cinematics..

These are symptoms of bad burns or bad media, but I can't believe that all these computers, burners, and media types have yet to give me one 100% flawless burn.

As for the PS2 itself, I bought it used from Gamestop. Which of course, may be the problem. Though to be fair, it never has any problems with my other pressed retail games.

I've adjusted the white gear wheel that moves the laser in the PS2 up and down to see if I could improve my results, but I've never found a better setting (though I have found several worse).

The lens itself has been cleaned a few times with soft cloth and a dab of rubbing alcohol.. No change.

Sorry for the long post.. Anybody have any suggestions, besides adjusting the laser? Should I buy even more types of media?

My only idea left is that maybe the laser is too weak in my unit by default or something..

What should I do?

napsun

2. XhyDra

XhyDra Member

[bold]napsun[/bold]

There can be many reasons why the backups are not working right. I see that you have tried several media on your PS2 and have not come across one that works 100% flawless, well like I said it can be one of many things. First I want to ask you what Brand DVD Writer do you use for your backups? Second what method do you use for playing your backups? And last what software do you use when making backups?

I also want to add that I went through the same process with my V7 PS2... I thought it was the lens so I purchased a new one and got the same results, so I tried several types of media: RICOHJPNR01 (4x DVD+R), RITEKG04 (4x DVD-R), RITEKG05 (8x DVD-R), LD S03 (4x DVD+R), SKC Co ,Ltd (4x DVD-R), YUDENT00T02 (8x DVD+R), MCC 004 (16x DVD+R), SONY08D1 (8x DVD-R), most of these media codes are branded by companies such as FujiFilm, Memorex, RITEK, Verbatim, and SONY. The only discs that ever worked for me were TDK TTG01 (4X DVD-R), and TDK TTG02 (8x DVD-R)... both media performed flawless, they loaded almost exactly as a pressed original disc would. =)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  3. maxima88

maxima88 Member

I agree that the Taiyo Yuden media are the best.
    I wasn't very satisfied w/ the Riteks so I switched over to the TY media (whether it be the 4x or 8x + or - media) and they've worked flawlessly for me.

4. Dune1014

Dune1014 Member

Of all of the media I have tried, I get the best results, believe it or not, using Imation 1x DVD-R's. I have had some success with Memorex 4x and others, but far and away the best media I have come across has been the Imation.

5. milfzor

milfzor Member

personally, ive had VERY little luck with imation media...both cdr and dvdr, as for dvdr though this may sound strange.....sony dvdr works the best for me so far...go figure, as for cdr, i use memorex and TDK for that.

6. napsun

napsun Member

Thanks for the prompt reply guys..

I suppose I'll take xhyrda's advise and buy up some small packs of other media types.. It's beginning to be a long, if not expensive, affair finding the proper media type..

To answer your question xhydra, I use the flip-top swap magic swap method. My DVD writer is the ol' Sony DW-U18A internal writer (though I've tried on several others). As for software, as I mentioned above, I've used everything from Alochol 120 to DVD Decrypter and Nero, and always burn at the slowest speed possible. I've never found a burner that could burn slower than 2x though.. though I did trick an external to burn slower by running it through a USB 1.0 connection on an old computer.. yielding less than 1x burn speed. Didn't really matter, the quality was the same and Resident Evil Outbreak's cinematic was a stilted sound delayed mess..

I'm glad some of you guys had to try as much media as I have so far, that is reassuring that it isn't just my unit. I was considering buying a second one as well.. perhaps I will be glad I didn't once those Taiyo Yuden's come in.. I'll try out those cheapy TDK TTG01 discs too if I can find them..

If anybody has any other thoughts feel free to followup.

napsun